The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Ray,

I'm impressed with the improvements in Ss Cyril & Methodius' website since I visited it last. It's very professional in appearance (and professional is a good thing, albeit you wouldn't hear me complaining about a serviceable site cobbled together using geocities technology either).

The photo galleries are great - they depict a parish that is alive and thriving. The testimonies as to "Why I am a Byzantine Catholic" are insightful and touching to read (as with those I mentioned earlier on St Meleny's site in reference to people's reasons for finding their spiritual home in the East - Catholic and Orthodox).

However, I would echo two of Deacon Tony's concerns: (1) the heavy identification with the Latin Church, with absolutely no reference made to the parish's own canonical jurisdiction; and (2) a 3 month out-of-date bulletin link. (I'm not really bothered by the lack of a photo specifically identifying the pastor; I think it's a 'nice-to-have', but not essential touch.)

Father Stephanos,

Bless, Father,

Nice calendar! The bi-lingual bulletin is also impressive, as is the list of programs being carried out in the parish. Photos of parish activities would be a great addition and I did see references to those 'coming soon'.

Btw, the footer used on all the pages is an exquisite piece of Western religious art (which I suspect I should be able to name, but can't - and it's driving me crazy).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
This is a bit off-topic, but I happened on the website of St Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church [stmarysbcc.org] in Hillsborough, NJ, last evening - solely by accident. It's a nice site that looks to still be in the process of development, but not yet at the stage where it would be featured here.

However, I discovered - on its links page [stmarysbcc.org] - that the first 3 links after that of the Eparchy of Passaic were to ByzCath. The first is to our site's front page, the second to our still fledgling Directory, and the third to a page here that lists all of the Eastern and Oriental Churches, Catholic and Orthodox. (This is the first link to the Directory that I've seen posted by any parish and I'm absolutely delighted that they saw fit to include it.)

Many years,

Neil (begging pardon for disrupting the flow of the thread)

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Check out my parish site; there are links to audio and video of our very fine choir, plus lots of photos of parish life: www.stnickbyz.com [stnickbyz.com]

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by iconophile
Check out my parish site; there are links to audio and video of our very fine choir, plus lots of photos of parish life: www.stnickbyz.com [stnickbyz.com]

Dan,

Very, very nice and it is wonderful to see that the Divine Liturgy has been televised. However, I have to know - am I slipping or has the website been extensively revamped in recent times? I ask because I just checked the parish's Directory entry and see that I had captured an exterior, but no interior photos - and, at a quick glance, there are several available.

Many years,

Neil

Father Miron has done an enormous amount of labor on the website and it is always a work in progress. I'm not sure what you are talking about, as the site has a wealth of photos and video links...

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by iconophile
Father Miron has done an enormous amount of labor on the website and it is always a work in progress. I'm not sure what you are talking about, as the site has a wealth of photos and video links...

Dan,

I was talking about the parish entry on our Directory of E&O Catholic Parishes. Usually, when I create the entry, I try to get an interior and exterior photo to display in it. As you can see, I only have an exterior at present for St Nicholas.

Many years,

Neil

Yes, the site has been extensively revamped, and that recently.

My parish home from 1998 to 2002. Lord, how I kick myself daily for having left Alaska....still homesick after 7 years!

St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church - Anchorage, Alaska [ak-byz-cath.org]

In OLGS, Jesus Christ.

S

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
As is often the case, when someone posts photos to the forum's Photo Gallery, I take the opportunity to check out their website. Thus, I just spent some time looking at that of St Michael's UGCC Mission Chapel [saintmichaelschapel.org] in Southern Pines, NC, served by Deacon Daniel, a member here (ebed melech).

It's a very well-developed site, particularly for a mission - it would do many parishes proud to have half as much material on-line. Excellent resource materials, homilies, links, weekly schedule on-line. Very nicely done!

Many years,

Neil

F
F
Glory to IC XC!

Please visit our parish website: www.saintgeorgepittsburgh.org [saintgeorgepittsburgh.org]

We are very-very happy with the work of our wonderful webmaster Bob. He is a hard worker, easy to work with and a faithful Byzantine Catholic.

To see his work visit: www.ecwnet.org [ecwnet.org]

If your parish wishes to have a website (Eastern Catholic or Orthodox), I highly recommend Bob for the job.

In Christ,

Fr. Valerian

Father Valerian, bless!
Your church looks beautiful. I have a friend, a Byzantine Catholic, who moved to Pittsburgh and found that the BC churches there are pretty latinized: no iconostasis, hurried liturgy, etc. So he has been going to an ACROD church, where he cannot receive communion. I told him about your parish.
It is not clear from your website or bulletin, but is your liturgy in English or Ukrainian?

Most of the Ruthenian Parishes in the Pittsburgh area have iconostasis, some very elaborate. I would suggest that your friend look around to base his comments. Where exactly in Pittsburgh does he live?

F
F
Dear Iconophile:

Glory to IC XC!

Divine Liturgy on Sunday is celebrated at 10:00 AM. At 9:40 AM we begin with the Third Hour. The Divine Liturgy is in both English and Slavonic. The parts in Slavonic are the Little Ekteniya (after Only Begotten Son), Trisagion, Ekteniya of Fervent Supplication, Hymn at the Anaphora:Holy, Holy, Holy, Ekteniya of Supplication and Our Father is in both languages. The opening and closing hymns are also in both languages. The rest of the Divine Liturgy, the readings & homily are always in English.

Please tell your friend to come and join us for Divine Worship. If you or your friend have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a Blessed day!

In XC,

Fr. Valerian

Thank you, Father; will do...

A
A
I have not posted anything for awhile, but I have enjoyed greatly visiting the many vatied topic posts that have been made. While you are surfing, please try St. Dionysios GO site in KC Missouri and St. Luke's Byz. Catholic (Ruthenian) church site in Independence, Mo. Y'all come to St. D for the festival...enjoy the music and the food...FANTASTIC

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.