The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#322677 05/22/09 07:38 PM
C
OP Offline
C

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
From the context of the article, it appears that Archpriest Branislav Peranovic's policies are, for the most part, his own and not those of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Note that he is completely up front about the beatings, while "the Serbian Orthodox Church has so far declined comment."

Administrator
Administrator
Again, like the other scandal of this week extremely sad. I pray that the Church moves quickly to suspend this priest, possibly defrocking him, and makes some sort of outreach to the victims. Otherwise, he and his organization should be criminally prosecuted according to the fullest extent of Serbian law.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
F
F
I remember one of those "communities" where the alleged divinely-appointed leadership not only used such gentle correction on adults, but required the adults to make the paddles, decorate them with "appropriate" decals, and so on. This elides from sin to insanity.

Fr. Serge

Grateful
Grateful
When I consider any abuse in the Church, two things come to mind. One is that Satan is stopping at nothing to work evil in some and thereby destroy faith in the rest of us. Second, Christ is risen.

The only thing that is going clean up this mess --now as in the past-- is when men, women, and children fully practice the Gospel and fully live the Life in Christ. Investigations are necessary; prosecutions (when practicable) are necessary; but the only way this will ever change is by a new generation of saints.

And it isn't a question of looking for where "they" will rise up. They are us. I mean that. Unless we live the Gospel better, and unless we repent better, there will be no new saints to purify and cleanse the Church: by prayer, penance, and example.

Kyrie Eleison.

-- John

L
L
What John says is very true.

Yes, civil and religious authorities must comfort the victims, punish the guilty, and take measures to prevent abuse from happening in the future.

But for all the rest of us, what we can and must do is repent and pray, trusting always in the risen Lord, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
"What John says is very true."

Indeed! How easy it is for so many of us, myself being first, to "talk the talk" but fail to "walk the walk".

rcguest #322708 05/23/09 02:47 AM
I think we just have to try to live the Christian life! God sees whats in our hearts and watches our actions. A generation of Saints sounds very nice but we are humans-imperfect and sinful. As long as you stay in the "struggle" and do it honestly I think God will see that and we will be rewarded. I don't think the Christian journey is about perfection! I know some disagree with me on this but I think its about how we react when we fall in sin. Do you stay down with the snakes or do you get up and carry your cross.

F
F
Official Announcement from the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Serbian
Orthodox Church

With shock and sorrow the Holy Synod of Bishops has received news
about the brutal violence which was applied against those afflicted
with the illness of drug addiction at the Crna Reka Monastery of the
Raska-Prizren Diocese. The pictures presented and the open recognition
of a cleric of the Raska-Prizren Diocese are unmistakable evidence of
a violence which is totally foreign to the spirit of the Gospel and
mission of the Church, and which is absolutely unacceptable.

Therefore, the Holy Synod of Bishops calls upon His Grace Bishop
Artemije to disband immediately and without delay the illegal clinic
for the treatment of the illness of addiction, and to undertake
ecclesiastical court proceedings against his clerics who participated
in the violence.

The Holy Synod of Bishops calls on the competent civil authorities to
take measures within their competence in connection with these
unwelcome events.

To the victims of this violence, and to all those who have been
affected in any way by these shameful events, the Holy Synod of
Bishops, in the name of the entire Serbian Orthodox Church, expresses
its most sincere sorrow, especially since this violence occurred near
the relics of St. Peter of Koric, a great monk who with his entire
being and life witnessed to love and non-violence.

-From the Office of the Holy Synod of Bishops

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Bless, Father David,

Thank you for posting that.

I applaud the Serbian Holy Synod for its quick and forthright response, especially its call for the civil authorities to act.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
L
L
It is a good response. But what else could they have said, given that the abuse was filmed?

Modern technology (e.g. mobile phones with cameras) fortunately makes it much more difficult to cover up crimes like this.

A
A
As I read this very sad and painful story, I harken back to something continuously preached at my old Evangelical Church .... we are all sinners saved by Grace .... there, but for the Grace of God go I.
abby
<*)))><

S
S
wasn't it Dorothy Day who said, "The Church is the bride of Christ and simultaneously the Cross upon which He is continually crucified."?

some how we all have to come to terms with the fact that we live in a Church holy in it's head but sinful in its members. Quite a paradox.

my mother maintains that the outrage over abuse by clergy is actually a back-handed compliment: if people didn't react with revulsion and horror, it would mean that they come to expect it.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
It is a good response. But what else could they have said ... ?
LC,

Given the fact that corporal punishment was an absolute given in Catholic schools in their heyday, I somehow feel that while this news is disappointing and what this priest was doing is clearly wrong, it is hardly shocking. If beatings are good in one instance, it certainly follows that they might be good in other instances as well.

Indeed, what we might say is *shocking* is that the Church clung to a philosophy that embraced violence for so long, and that it needed 20th Century psychology to be able to see this from a more accurate perspective.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Given the fact that corporal punishment was an absolute given in Catholic schools in their heyday

Much as this is a real blot on the Church, we ought to remember that it was the rule in the public schools as well. When I taught in the early 1970s, what was allowed to teachers, defended by the authorities, and sanctioned in the law was no different than what we are reading about here. That does not excuse it in any venue, however. And it may be the reason that there is still so much going on in homes across the land.

Interestingly enough, my licensing board requires us to report any evidence of abuse we think we see on the remains of children and the elderly to the coroner for investigation.

BOB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.