The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
Slava Isusu Khrestu

I received this from a site that I frequent in my geneology searches. It greatly distressed me. To what has society come?

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/1374

Z Bohom

Unworthy

Kolya

I could have gone through the day without seeing that.

Since it sounds so disturbing, could you tell us what this is about before we click on it?

It is a false icon of Madonna with the singer and her daughter replacing Our Lady and Christ.

G
OP Offline
G
Slava Isusu Khrestu

I apologize for not giving more information prior to clicking on to the site.

Z Bohom

Unworthy
Kolya

B
B
She has no shame, and isn't getting any better or acquiring any wisdom with age.

F
F
That woman has the ultimate defense - she is proud of her own stupidity.

Fr. Serge

J
J
I remember reading a long time ago that she resisted attempts to do this type of thing in North America. She made the comments after someone insinuated that she had usurped the name Modonna in an attempt to mock the Holy Mother of God. In fact, it is her Christian name. There is no past history of her doing this type of thing. I wonder if she is even aware of it. If she is, why the sudden chage of philosophy. If not, will she ask that the ad campaign be terminated.

I.F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jH5o47pX8w

Here is a treat for all of you folks who understand Russian.

Fr Deacon Andrei Kuraev addresses the Madonna issue in the end of the 2 minute clip.

Enjoy!

J
J
Some commentary from Wikipedia; read the last paragraph:

Madonna (born Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone on August 16, 1958) is an American recording artist, actress and entrepreneur. Born in Bay City, Michigan and raised in Rochester Hills, Michigan, she moved to New York City in 1977, for a career in modern dance. After performing as a member of the pop musical groups Breakfast Club and Emmy, she released her self-titled debut album, Madonna in 1983 by Sire Records.

A series of hit singles from her studio albums Like a Virgin (1984) and True Blue (1986) transitioned her into global recognition, becoming a pop icon for pushing the boundaries of lyrical content in popular music and imagery in her music videos which became a fixture on MTV. She also gained recognition for her role in the film Desperately Seeking Susan (1985). Expanding on the use of religious imagery with Like a Prayer (1989), Madonna's image as a popular yet controversial figure grew as she received praise for the diverse musical productions in her albums, while at the same time receiving backlash from religious conservatives and the Vatican. In 1992, Madonna founded the Maverick corporation, as a joint venture between herself and Time Warner. The same year, she expanded the use of sexually explicit material in work, beginning the release of Erotica, followed by the publishing of the coffee table book Sex, and starring in the erotic thriller Body of Evidence, all of which received negative responses from conservatives and liberals alike.

In 1996, Madonna played the starring role in the film, Evita, for which she won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy. Her single, "You Must Love Me" which was featured on the film's soundtrack album won the Academy Award and the Golden Globe for Best Original Song. Madonna's seventh studio album Ray of Light (1998) became one of her most critically acclaimed, recognized for Madonna's attempt to convey spiritual depth and maturation. In 2005, Madonna released Confessions on a Dance Floor, which earned the Grammy Award for Best Electronic/Dance Album. Her eleventh studio album Hard Candy (2008), became her seventh to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart. Departing from Warner Bros. Records, Madonna signed an unprecedented $120 million dollar contract with Live Nation the same year.[2]

Madonna is ranked by the Recording Industry Association of America as the best-selling female rock artist of the twentieth century and the second top-selling female artist in the United States with sixty-three million certified albums; she has sold over two-hundred million albums worldwide.[3][4][5] In 2007, Guinness World Records listed her as the world's most successful female recording artist of all time and she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the following year.[6][7] Considered to be one of the most influential women in contemporary music, Madonna has been known for continually reinventing her music and image and for retaining a standard of anonymity within the recording industry; she is recognized as an influence among numerous music artists.

Last edited by johnzonaras; 06/30/09 12:25 PM.
E
E
Why pay any attention? This degraded woman is just a "celebrity",
that is, a creation of the media. She and her kind, like the
late unlamented Michael Jackson, do outrageous things to get
people to pay attention to them. When you do so,you are playing their
game. Don't. Try not even to be aware of their existence.
If they do manage to force themselves upon your consciousness,
pray for them.

Edmac

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.