Newest Members
SdnMatthew, Ambrosian, HSN44, BJG, LectioDivina
5011 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (mardukm, Garajotsi, 3 invisible), 118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Father Archimandrite Januarius (Izzo), OFM
Can anyone identify what tradition this star might be from?
Lost Community in Lynch, KY
Patriarch Gregory at EWTN
Panagia's Tears Prayer Rope
Forum Stats
5011 Members
26 Forums
33047 Topics
400957 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Topic Options
#326552 - 07/03/09 09:25 PM Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?!
Logos - Alexis Offline

Loc: Georgia
Dear Friends,

I just got back from a trip to Europe (and took tons of "ecclesiastical" photos, which I will update as soon as time permits). While there, I traveled to Sardinia, specifically to the town of Alghero.

While walking around the town, I noticed that one of the most ancient and historic churches of the city had recently been refurbished and transformed into a parish church of the Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church. While it was Catholic, it was dedicated to St. Andrew, but now as an Orthodox church is dedicated to St. Barbara.

Now, I was totally shocked by the presence of a Polish Orthodox Church in Sardinia! How in the world did it get there?

Anybody have any ideas? And why a Catholic parish, one of the most ancient in the city it seems, would be given to them? I guess any answer to that last question would merely be speculation, since the reasons could be myriad, and I don't know that it was "given" (but that'd be par for the course!).

The whole thing was surprising to me.

Alexis

Edited by Logos - Alexis (07/03/09 09:26 PM)

#326554 - 07/03/09 09:37 PM Re: Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?! [Re: Logos - Alexis]
StuartK Offline

Loc: Falls Church, VA
Eastern Europeans dominate the hospitality industry across Europe, and are very prominent in construction and building trades as well. Once Poland joined the European Union, it became possible for Poles to move seamlessly from one country to the next to find work.

#326556 - 07/03/09 09:45 PM Re: Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?! [Re: StuartK]
Logos - Alexis Offline

Loc: Georgia
Stuart, that does make sense. But few Poles are Orthodox. I'm more wondering how there came to be so large a number of Orthodox Poles in Sardinia to warrant a parish.

Alexis

#326557 - 07/03/09 10:20 PM Re: Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?! [Re: Logos - Alexis]
Robert K. Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Polish Orthodox Christians are ethnically BelyoRussian, Ukrainian, Lemko, Russian rct... However most think of themselves as simply "Polish" since they were assimilated a long time ago into that culture. I once knew an Orthodox priest from Brooklyn who emohatically stated that he was Polih (I'm pretty sure that he was not a convert either).

I'm not sure that any ethnic Pole would ever join the Orthodox Church since to be Polish and RC is the same thing to them.

#326559 - 07/03/09 11:02 PM Re: Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?! [Re: Robert K.]
Fr Serge Keleher Offline

Loc: Dublin
Don't laugh - there were nearly 100,000 Polish Greek-Catholics who got the chop from the Polish hierarchy. There are a few Greek-Catholic priests in the USA who are ethnic Poles.

As to Sardinia, I vaguely remember that one of the irregular (=vagantes) groups was negotiating with the Church of Poland; perhaps they have succeeded to some degree.

Fr. Serge

#326566 - 07/04/09 01:43 AM Re: Polish Orthodox Church...In Sardinia?! [Re: Fr Serge Keleher]
asianpilgrim Offline

Loc: Philippines
Originally Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher
Don't laugh - there were nearly 100,000 Polish Greek-Catholics who got the chop from the Polish hierarchy. There are a few Greek-Catholic priests in the USA who are ethnic Poles.

As to Sardinia, I vaguely remember that one of the irregular (=vagantes) groups was negotiating with the Church of Poland; perhaps they have succeeded to some degree.

Fr. Serge

A majority of the Old Calendarist jurisdiction that is now known as the "Synod of Milan" joined the Polish Orthodox Church in the late 1980's, including the chief hierarch at the time of the said jurisdiction, Gabriel of Lisbon. Most of them were in Portugal and Brazil, but some were in Italy.

In recent years, the "Autonomous Orthodox Catholic Church of Portugal" has split, with the chief hierarch (successor to Gabriel of Lisbon) and all the bishops in Portugal breaking communion with Poland in the year 2000, while some of the parishes in Portugal and the two bishops and their flocks in Brazil maintaining communion with Poland. Apparently, though, the part of this Church that split from the Polish Orthodox, continues to maintain some level of official contact with the Moscow Patriarchate.

Edited by asianpilgrim (07/04/09 01:44 AM)

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. Contents copyright - 1996-2014. All rights reserved.