The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Ioannes Errikos, Deacon Christopher, Eldho Kuriakose, Nixon, SHolmes
5633 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Athanasius The L), 156 guests, and 326 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,819
Posts412,382
Members5,633
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa #295643 07/20/08 06:12 AM
5 Images
Etnick Offline OP
St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa

This church is in immaculate shape for it's age. The Iconostas is a jewel! I hope the parishioners appreciate what they have.
7 Comments
Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Etnick] #295715 07/21/08 07:38 AM
I
Irish Melkite Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I
Magnificent iconostasis

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Etnick] #295721 07/21/08 08:39 AM
Ung-Certez Offline
Originally Posted by Etnick
This church is in immaculate shape for it's age. The Iconostas is a jewel! I hope the parishioners appreciate what they have.

Etnick,

Hawk Run and South Fork are the only Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Churches to have kept their original icon screens in the Clearfield, Centre, Blair, Cambria, Somerset Counties of South West Central PA. We know why Hawk Run retained it's icon screen. The Hawk Run parish first left the then Pittsburgh Exarchate in the 1930's to join the then newly-formed "American Carpatho-Russian Greek Catholic Church of the Eastern Rite". It later left the "Johnstown Diocese" over some strange events that happened in the early 1950's.

South Fork parish is really the only (continuously, never left the Pittsburgh Exarchate/Ruthenian Archeparchy-now-known-as-the-"Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America") to have kept it's original ikonostas. It is a nice little parish that celebrated it's Centennial anniversary in September '05. I hope and pray that this parish will stay open. It is a good example of what our churches were like "back in the day"!

Ung

Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Ung-Certez] #326722 07/06/09 08:06 PM
R
rwprof Offline
R
Didn't I see pictures of the inside of the ACROD parish next door here? Or am I imagining things? I can't seem to find it with the search function.

Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: rwprof] #326727 07/06/09 08:42 PM
Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by rwprof
Didn't I see pictures of the inside of the ACROD parish next door here? Or am I imagining things? I can't seem to find it with the search function.

They're on page 3 of this section.

Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Etnick] #326806 07/07/09 09:04 PM
R
Robert K. Offline
R
What "strange events" happened in ACROD in the 50's? Is this also the reason that St John the Baptist Church in Bridgport, CT left that jurisdiction for the Metropolia about the same time?

Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Robert K.] #326850 07/08/09 07:07 AM
F
Fr Serge Keleher Offline
F
Saint John the Baptist Church, Mill Hill Avenue, Bridgeport, withdrew from the Carpatho-Russian Diocese shortly after World War II. It returned to the Carpatho-Russian Diocese about 25 years later. Should you be in reach, do go and see the church.

Fr. Serge

Re: St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, Hawk Run, Pa [Re: Ung-Certez] #332225 09/12/09 05:30 AM
Steve Petach Offline
Cantor
Cantor
I do hope that South Fork will stay open, as it was my great-grandfather's parish in 'Fifficktown". He is buried in the cemetery adjacent to the parish.

Moderated by  Administrator, Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.