The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
http://hotair.com/archives/2009/07/19/video-obamacare-may-fund-abortions/

Subdeacon,
Thank you for the link.
This is why every Christian should oppose government-controlled healthcare. It will become a matter of conscience.

Ray

OP Offline
Yes, it is scary indeed. Tax payer funded abortion is just one of the multitude of reasons not to allow them to force socialized health care on us.

Medicare already pays for abortions, but what they're seeking to do is to expand government support for the brutal act.

I heard rumor that the a "freedom of conscience" clause will be slipped into the bill that carries out some of the intentions of the Freedom of Choice Act.

Pregnancy is not an illness.

OP Offline
I am wondering if the folks who voted for B.H.O. are starting to have buyers remorse...

I heard that though more minorities voted, the voting rate did not increase. I'm wondering how much of the drop in voting numbers (from what was expected) came from conservatives abstaining from the whole process. If that number was significant, we may just be a good push and nudge away from gaining some ground in 2010 and perhaps 2012 if the right people campaign and make clear distinctions.

Terry

J
J
It's ironic that in countries such as Canada, the availability of universal healthcare is considered to be an expression of Christian love for your fellow citizen, whereas within the USA it appears that the exact opposite seems to be true. It would be interesting to have more non US citizens post their opinion on the matter, including perhaps non US clergy.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/21/09 03:12 PM.
Yankees may win out at the end, but I still side for freedom.

John
John
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
It's ironic that in countries such as Canada, the availability of universal healthcare is considered to be an expression of Christian love for your fellow citizen, whereas within the USA it appears that the exact opposite seems to be true. It would be interesting to have more non US citizens post their opinion on the matter, including perhaps non US clergy.

I.F.
JF,

You are confusing wishful thinking with reality. Look at the facts. Health care in other countries is rationed. I care about others so much I do not wish them to be denied health care by the government. Governments should not be making health care decisions in place of doctors.

How do you (and others) go from the fact that some do not have insurance (by choice for many since the poor already qualify for Medicaid and other programs but many poor just don’t sign up) to a demand for government-controlled, rationed health care?

What makes you think that medical care will be better once the government is in charge of health care decisions? The evidence shows that the quality of health care now in America is the best in the world (yes, I know you generally reject facts but really you should not).

President Obama talks openly about rationed care. Imagine Medicare, Medicaid and the Veterans’ hospitals. Right now they are very inefficient, and the quality of health care is often not very good. Imagine what they will become the government starts rationing care.

Please tell us how it is an example of Christian love to deny someone health care by rationing?

Please tell us how it is an example of Christian love to force taxpayers to fund abortions, the murder of the innocent?

Denied Health Care in England [news.sky.com]

Mayo Clinic Calls House Plan Bad Medicine [washingtontimes.com]

John

Dear Friends,
Congress is working on three main health care reform bills—one in the House, two in the Senate. It is critical that Congress hears the message to support a health care reform bill that respects life. Any bill must exclude mandated coverage for abortion and uphold longstanding laws that restrict abortion funding and protect conscience rights.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Senate Finance Committee continue to mark up bills. House and Senate floor
votes could occur before the August recess. Please click the link below to send an e-mail message to your Representative and Senators today!

Thanks!

Michael Taylor
Executive Director
NCHLA

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
http://actions.nchla.org/link/target/nchla35583468.aspx
[i][/i]

To all,
I copied the above from a NCHLA email that I received. I urge everyone to email their Senators and Representative through the above site....its easy! Customize the message to your own thoughts.

Our postcard campaign to stop FOCA (so-called Freedom of Choice Act) was so successful that Congressional leadership didn't consider introducing the bill because of intense opposition. Instead they will introduce elements directly through the bill or through anonymous bureaucratic regulations.

Essentials safeguards that national healthcare MUST stipulate are:
No high school funding for birth control which will become as common as vaccinations
A conscience clause that any institution or person may opt out of abortion and assisted suicide support.
No national "panel" to consider whether the patient is "productive" enough to warrant normal health care.
No additional funds for embryonic stem cell research.

I encourage you all to voice your convictions to our elected representatives. Once is is out of their hands, the "apparachik" bureaucrats will determine who should live and who is "unworthy."

Fr Deacon Paul

I would caution readers that the government just may enact national health-care without the funding for abortion, contraception etc. for now because of the strong pro-life views of many. The powerful pro-abortion lobby may settle on "half-a-loaf" for now and will eventually get what they want later. Then it will be too late. That is how politics works.

Ray

J
J
Sorry folks - but your logic is badly flawed. In fact, Canada has a much lower abortion rate than the USA;

Lack of social medicine increases abortion rates in USA when compared to Canada [guttmacher.org]

It can therefore be concluded, that the socialized Canadian national health care program (actually 14 of them) reduces abortion rates when compared to the USA's 'great-for-a-few-but-only-kinda-of-ok-for-most-unless-they-are-really-sick-and-really-lousy-for-the-46-million-who-die-slow-painfull-deaths-because-some-brainwashed-people-believe-it-keeps-abortion-rates-down-when-in-fact-when-you-compare-to-Canada's-socialized-system-the-exact-opposite-is-true' system.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/21/09 06:41 PM.
Dear I.F.
The question is, for me, maybe not for you...should any Catholic be forced to pay for an abortion?

Ray

John
John
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
Sorry folks - but your logic is badly flawed. In fact, Canada has a much lower abortion rate than the USA
Sorry, JF, you don't know what you are talking about. It's not about rates. It's about murder paid for by the state. One is too many. But, really, you never answer questions put to you. That is because you cannot. Why do you wish to ration care and hurt people?

I expect your next post to start with: "I, J.F., wish to ration care and hurt people because...."

If you are a Christian you should reject abortion and call it murder. Will you do so now? Or do you also reject Christ's Commandments?

J
J
Catholics and all Christians should simply voice their concerns as you have done, and legistlate abortion out of the healthcare debate.

It's time for the USA to come to realize that medical care is far to complex and consequently expensive for most Americans to ever contemplate funding without some financial support from the government. It's just a whole different world as compared to what your grandparents experienced, and it will only get more complex and expensive over time.

Providing sound quality healthcare to ALL US citizens is one of the best recipes for reducing abortions not increasing their rate. Quality affordable healthcare will reduce the murder of unborn children as it has done in Canada. The scientific statistics are there to prove it.

Again, it would be great if some non USA posters could speak to this issue (comparing social Canada to non-social USA).

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 07/21/09 06:56 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.