The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 223 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jkay Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have heard this/read this and I don't quite understand it. Does this mean that at the second coming, all of my sins will be revealed to other people? Like my loved ones will know all of my sins? Does it include only those sins not confessed? I sometimes have trouble accepting that my sins are forgiven even after confession, which I guess is a consequence of sin.

I think the answer to your question comes from the Morning Prayers.

"Suddenly the Judge shall come and the deeds of each man shall be made known to all, and so with fear and trembling we cry aloud in the middle of the night and say, 'Holy, Holy, Holy art Thou, O Lord, through the prayers of the Mother of God (Theotokos) have mercy upon us.'"

I have been taught the same thing in Catholic catechism classes at a very early age. At the General Judgment--the Divine, Awesome, Terrible Final Judgment--each of us will have every thought, word, and deed laid bare for the whole of creation to see. The reason for each one's eternal reward or punishment will be obvious to each and every one present. The Light of Christ will pierce every dark and hidden thing. Jesus tells us as much in the Gospels.

The Desert Fathers tell us in the way in which we expose the misdeeds of others, our own will be revealed. And the way in which we cover the sins of our brethren in the same way God will cover ours: not to obscure with the intention of being an enabler or participant; but to bear with the weaknesses of others as we would have our own borne with by others. I believe that it points to the objective requirement to call something wrong that is objectively wrong but to give the other the benefit of the doubt as to the motive in his heart--the place wherein God alone can see.

I sometimes have trouble accepting that my sins are forgiven even after confession . . .

Why is that? When I listen to the absolution that is given and I remember the authority given to the Apostles and their successors, I always feel like a crushing weight has been lifted off my back and shoulders. I can't wait to get to a place where I can say, "Thank You, Lord, from the bottom of my heart for the gift of Your forgiveness." And I always try to remember to offer a prayer for the priest who has been His Voice, His Hand in blessing, and His instrument in giving me His Mercy. If God can't forgive me, it's only because I won't let Him. Remember in the Scriptures where Jesus said time and again to people He worked miracles for, "Your faith has saved you."

Got faith? Can God penetrate in there where you live and heal you? There is a painting familiar in Western religious art. Christ stands at the door and knocks. There is no handle on the outside of the door. It must be opened from the inside. Will you open your heart to Him so He can come in and heal you through confession?

Your answers to these questions will answer your doubt.

In Christ,

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 10/21/08 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling
R
R
A good friend of mine told me of something that happened to him. I will tell it here but I will put it into the first person (just as he did) as the meaning is clearer that way.

It happened while I was at church (mass). I was in the second isle pews on the left side (the side of Mary). Directly in front of me (in the first row pews) was a woman with some gray hair. Her pew had about 5 people in it but the woman was there alone (no husbannd, freinds or children with her).

As the mass progressed and it came to the general confession (we stand during that) I was looking past her to the priest but became acutely a2are that her attention had become intensely interior. At the part where we say "Lord have mercy, God have mercy" and strike our breast three times ... I could tell she was in great interior sorrow and pain. She was pleading with God to be forgiven. That I understood this so clearly was an odd thing to me for there was really nothing about her that anyone would see as different from anyone else doing the same.

At the same time I was aware that God had already forgiven her. How I knew that I do not know - it was just clear to me.

As we sat down and the mass continued .. I could not help but wonder at the meaning of such a strange thing. To put myself at ease I mental prayed to God that if he wanted me to speak to her - he should give me the sing of arranging the opportunity that she and I would be alone - yet I myself would do nothing toward creating such a circumstance. I would not approach her in anyway and in fact after mass I would not fall in behind her as each row filed out (usually everyone allows the row in front of them to go first).

When mass did end - people began to get up and ready to leave or visit with friends etc. However I decided to just sit there. To a bit of my surprise - she just sat there too. Within minutes there was only her and I in that area of the church. She had knelt forward and was again I knew that she was speaking to God and repeatedly asking him to forgive her. I became aware that she had confessed what ever it was .. already in private confession. God had already forgiven her (and he was telling her that) but she could not hear him within her conscience. She was so upset and felt so guuilty (deservedly or not) that she could not hear what God was saying to her. Her attention was attached to her own remorse.

Since it was now just she and I together (with only maybe 5 people left in the very back of the church) it seemed to me that I had pushed it enough and God had indeed arranged for us to be alone together for in a few minutes the entire church would be empty except for her and I.

At this - I leaned forward and said to her quietly "He has already forgiven you. You should now .. forgive yourself."

As if my words had come from heaven - I could see life flow back into her and the gloom that had surrounded her disappeared. She seemed to take a big breath and draw it into herself like a wilted flower coming back to life.

It is, of course, a bit stunning and not in the ordinary to hear an interior conversation you are having with God - seamlessly and synchronize continued with a human voice speaking God's part of the conversation.

After a few seconds she realized that it was a human voice and someone was behind her and she slowly turned her head to meet my eyes. Her eyes were now bright. She looked at me and asked with awe and wonder "Are you a mystic?"

I had apparently done what God invited and arranged for me to do for her. My part was over and I had no clue what to answer her except to say "No. I'm not." and with that I quietly arose and left.

I think that story says it all.

Please excuse any typos as I have to run to work or I will be late.

Peace be to you always.
-ray

What a wonderful way for God to use you as His instrument in comforting and consoling a sister in Christ, Ray!

Last edited by Byzantinemo; 05/01/09 02:58 AM.
Originally Posted by jkay
I have heard this/read this and I don't quite understand it. Does this mean that at the second coming, all of my sins will be revealed to other people? Like my loved ones will know all of my sins? Does it include only those sins not confessed? I sometimes have trouble accepting that my sins are forgiven even after confession, which I guess is a consequence of sin.

Some, but remember the accuser of the brethern comes quickly to steal. Remember always with thoughts that plauge, to say something to this effect - if these thoughts are not from Jesus, then in the name of Jesus they must leave. If they persist then tell them you will offer them to Jesus at the elevation of the Eucharist during the Divine Liturgy.

I was struggling many years ago with some anger that would not leave even though I had confessed it. After awhile, I asked the priest I had confessed to what to do. That was his advice. biggrin biggrin biggrin Once you tell them they will be given to Jesus at his elevation - they RUN AWAY!

Actually the other night something was bothering me and wouldn't leave me alone. Then I told them to flee in Jesus Name I finally had peace of mind. Thanks be to God!

I grew up in a tradition that used what the Anglicans call the "Collect for Purity" in most liturgies:

Almighty God,
to whom all hearts are open,
all desires known,
and from whom no secrets are hid;
Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit,
that we may perfectly love you
and worthily magnify your holy name,
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
Amen.

Thomas the Seeker:

Christ is Risen!!

Welcome to the Forum.

BOB

Indeed, He is Risen!

Thank you for the welcome.

Go to my profile and send an email.

Originally Posted by theophan
Go to my profile and send an email.

I receive a notice from the forum that viewing profiles and sending PM is disabled.

T
T
We are all connected. We are the Body of Christ. At the second coming, we will be incorporated into that Body in a deeper more realistic sense than we are now. At that point we will know all about each other. For how can the brain not know what the foot is doing? How can one hand not know the other?

Originally Posted by Theologos
We are all connected. We are the Body of Christ. At the second coming, we will be incorporated into that Body in a deeper more realistic sense than we are now. At that point we will know all about each other. For how can the brain not know what the foot is doing? How can one hand not know the other?

Interesting....

Originally Posted by jkay
I sometimes have trouble accepting that my sins are forgiven even after confession, which I guess is a consequence of sin.

Christ Is Risen!

Dear jkay,

Back in Fall 1995, when I was in RCIA preparing to enter the Roman Catholic Church from Episcopalianism, I confided similar misgivings to both my RCIA instructor and my soon-to-be RC parish priest. Both reassured me that these feelings were common among Catholic converts (and I'm thinking cradle-Catholics, too).

In fact, when preparing for my first confession with my priest, he said that these questions / misgivings in the mind of the penitent can be a manifestation of a kind of spiritual pride, as in "this (or that) sin is so awful, so nasty, so embarrassing (take your pick) that God really couldn't (wouldn't) forgive it, would he?"

Father (Domingo) advised me that it's a subtle trick of the evil one to discourage the faithful from availing themselves of this wonderful, spiritually-beneficial sacrament.

God Bless,

S

Last edited by Byzantinemo; 05/10/09 09:58 PM.
P
P
[quote=jkay]I have heard this/read this and I don't quite understand it. Does this mean that at the second coming, all of my sins will be revealed to other [i]people[/i]? Like my loved ones will know all of my sins? Does it include only those sins not confessed? [...] [/quote]

Catholic Encyclopedia says the following:

[quote]The judgment will embrace all works, good or bad, forgiven as well as unforgiven sins, every idle word (Matthew 12:36), every secret thought (1 Corinthians 4:5). With the exception of Peter Lombard, theologians teach that even the secret sins of the just will be made manifest, in order that judgment may be made complete and that the justice and mercy of God may be glorified. This will not pain or embarrass the saints, but add to their glory, just as the repentance of St. Peter and St. Mary Magdalen is to these saints a source of joy and honour. [/quote]

S
S
All it means is each of us will see ourselves as we really are, without any pretenses or excuses or disguises.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.