The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hey Guys!

I'm back! Only for this one...

It's been over a year since I've been on the forum...maybe longer like two years. Wow! Long time. Hope everyone is doing real well!

I want to update something about what I'm doing...I lost my job back in 2007...and struggled a lot...decided to go back to college to get MA (in Deaf Studies and possible Graduate Certificate in Administration/Supervision) at Gallaudet University in Washington, DC. The only liberal arts college in the world catering for the Deaf and hard of hearing.

Now...I've not been to Church since I came here two weeks ago. Mainly because of transportation problems. I left my car back in Kansas. The Metro subway AND buses do not go to St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathderal on or near 36th and Massassuchetts, which is the northwest area of DC. I'm out at the north east part of DC (NE).

Can someone help me or direct me to someone who can help me...or have ideas of how to get there and back. I'm a full time graduate student...no money for taxi.

I haven't called the Cathedral office yet to address my challenges of getting to Church.

Many thanks and nice to be here once again.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

Don't have any ideas for help, but sure am glad you are doing well. What an awesome blessing! You are much needed out there in a very hurting world. Go with God!

H
Administrator
Administrator
H
Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church is just under a mile walk (up 16th Street N.W.) from the Columbia Heights Metro Station.

the unworthy,
Elias

OP Offline
Hi...I also checked into Sts. Constantine & Helen GO...still same problem...no metro that get there. Again, transportation challenges. I noticed that in this area have several other Orthodox Churches.

Man!

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

SP:

I'd suggest calling one or another of these churches and ask the pastor if they knew of a parishioner who wouldn't mind picking you up. Maybe someone who is already driving by your place on his way to church. When I was an undergrad, there were several Orthodox families who were glad to adopt struggling students and take them to Divine Liturgy.

BOB

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.