The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
F
If a "peacekeeping force" on Irish soil will get our unwanted neighbors out, it might be worth trying!

Fr. Serge

S
S
And who would your "unwanted neighbors" be, Father?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stuart,

Originally Posted by StuartK
And just to show I am not speaking out of my hat, I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Johns Hopkins University-SAIS Center For Transatlantic Relations, which is the designated EU Center of Excellence in the United States. I have had extensive dealings with members of the Commission, the European Parliament and various European governments over the past eight years, and have picked up a thing or two in that time.

And since this is neither the Johns Hopkins University-SAIS Center for Teansatlantic Relations, nor a designated EU Center of Excellence in the US, you are just another forum member with an opinion. Your credentials do not entitle you to insult other members with lines such as ...

Originally Posted by StuartK
Other than that, your post reveals a startling lack of knowledge of international trade relations.

I strongly suggest that you temper your posting style.

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
I strongly suggest that you temper your posting style.

Does Pavel Ivanovich warrant similar chastisement for his intemperate missive:

The only reason the USA is so anti the EU is the money. The states of North America can unite to form the USA and thats OK. The states of Europe unite to deal with the Americans and their trading practices and thats not OK.

The USA made it very clear to the Australian governments what was to happen in our economy, or we would be penalised in any trade with the USA. So under instruction we sold of profitable and efficient state owned enterprises, which now privatised don't deliver the services they once did.

This happened to almost every country they signed up all around the world. Basically let us buy you up cheap, or you will be excluded from the USA market.

I may be just another member of the forum, but I cannot ignore what are, after all, inflammatory and false remarks.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stuart,

Pavel's commemts express his opinion - you may consider them inflammatory or false, and you are free to respond to them - but, his remarks are not directed at another member. They do not patronize, belittle, speak down to, or otherwise seek to overwhelm anyone by using credentials as a means to make clear that you speak from great authority and his post is just so many keystrokes.

Whether you choose to recognize it or not, your posting style is antithetical to the entire notion of constructive dialogue - which is a big part of what this forum is about.

Five years ago, I posted the following in a thread here - I think it is still true:

Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
The beauty of this Forum is who we are and what we bring to it. Pedantic, argumentative posts that seek to overwhelm the reader and aggressively impugn the sincerity of (others) ... are an unwelcome intrusion into what is truly its own community of faith.

... We know we have differences of belief between and among us and that the baggage of history comes with a heavy price. But, I for one, and I suspect many others here - if not most, cherish the faith, the sincerity, the forthrightness, and the honesty of our brothers and sisters, and the opportunity to dialogue with them, even when we disagree. You, on the other hand, see only black and white and seem to have no appreciation for the fact that gray is within the spectrum.

My point: we are people here and, for most of us, that is as or more important than rabid ideology. To disagree or post an opposing view is one thing; to deluge the Forum with massive amounts of material and to harangue is another. ...

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
F
Stuart asks me:

And who would your "unwanted neighbors" be, Father?

Such a question! "Them Ones", of course.

Fr. Serge

S
S
I recommend a very interesting book called Saxons, Vikings and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland [amazon.com] by Bryan Sykes. He conducted a genetic survey of tens of thousands of people in the UK and Ireland in an effort to determine how the various populations came to be where and what they are (Sykes was the scientist who did the genetic analysis of the so-called Cheddar Man and found a direct descendent of the 9,000-year old skeleton living within a stone's throw of the cave where it was found). Very interesting, and likely to have a bearing on who the British and Irish call "Us" and "Them".

F
F
Alas, the expression "Them Ones" is not used with specific reference to genetics!

But if it's any consolation, there has been some fascinating research on the remote origin of the Aran Islanders.

Fr. Serge

I was being serious. The Irish are really displaced Slavs.
The distinction in Carpatho-Russian between ona jest and ona byva (“she is” and “she habitually is” or “she is in the habit of being”), i.e. between the present and present habitual tenses, corresponds exactly to the Irish tá sí and bíonn sí. This distinction is not found verbally in English, French or German, but is present in other Celtic languages such as Welsh, Breton, Scottish Gaelic, and in other Slavic languages. There are effectively 3 forms of the verb “to be”, for example:

I am Irish: Is Gael mé.
I am tired: Tá tuirse orm (lit. “is tiredness on me”)
I am here every day: Bím anseo gach lá.

Both Carpatho_Russian and Irish have a fondness for palatalisation: the palatal quality of the consonant “n” in the CR word nie corresponds to the “n” of the Irish word níl, “there is not”.

Finally a number of verbal endings, such as the first person singular, present tense, and the second person singular, past tense, are pronounced similarly in both languages:

CR: jestem (I am now) byvam (I am usually) by a (you were)

Irish: táim (I am now) bím (I am usually) bhís (you were)

If you think about it, the similarities in most aspects outweigh the differences.

Alexandr

Habitual aspect is actually fairly common in Indo-European languages.

S
S
Don't spoil the beauty of the thing with technicalities.

B
Bridgid Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by dochawk
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
ummm

Any comments Fr Serge ?

From the title, I'd thought that it was about *Irish* full unification.

And my views on *that* subject probably make Fr. Serge's look downright moderate!

hawk
When Europe truly integrates Ireland will be whole again. And it will be one with Britain and all of Europe in one country.

B
Bridgid Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
If a "peacekeeping force" on Irish soil will get our unwanted neighbors out, it might be worth trying!

Fr. Serge
Who are you talking about? The immigrants?

S
S
When Europe truly integrates Ireland will be whole again. And it will be one with Britain and all of Europe in one country.

Where is the European demos, to paraphrase Vaclav Klaus?

I think Fr. Serge is refering to the Brits getting out of Northern Ireland and allowing the Irish to manage their own affairs.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.