The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
P
Originally Posted by AMM
There is no easy solution, because you would have to build an entire infrastructure to oversee private schools. Your taxes would also more than likely be used to fund vouchers for schools that promote things you dislike even more than what is taught in public schools.

The worst part of all of this is you'll probably have some reactionary politicians coming out on the issue.

In the pre-revolutionary Europe schools were run by the Church, without any vouchers or state surveillance. But no modern state would allow the Church to act so freely, I guess.

A
AMM Offline
A
In the pre-revolutionary Europe

The Irish Reform Schools for were running well in to the 20th century.

L
L
This article captures the outrage that I presumed would occur.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20091103/wl_csm/ocrucefix

Alexis

A
AMM Offline
A
The moral damages awarded to the woman are ridiculous. All part of the culture of outrage though.

F
F
And to think that there are those who cannot understand why I always vote against the EU!

Fr. Serge

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
And to think that there are those who cannot understand why I always vote against the EU!

Fr. Serge

Three cheers for Vaclav Klaus!

One thing I'm considering is maybe I'm looking at this through the prism of being American, and not recognizing Italy is not America.

S
S
Ah, but I think, Father, that there may be ways of holding the same theological viewpoint and seeing the EU as an advantage.

I, for one, am simultaneously pleased with the Czech government for hesitating, and yet finally signing on. Cautious, thoughtful cooperation seems to me to be a helpful way forward.

I certainly balk at the Euroscepticism of UKIP here in Britain. Their sense of history extends only as far as WWII, and their social awareness no further than the Cotswalds.

S
S
I have just come back and re-read what I wrote, and it comes across as terribly smug. Sorry about that.

Do feel free to agree or disagree with the point I tried to make though.

There is something good in this:

That the Cross of Christ is so powerful! or else why fear His influence? Makes me reconsider how much i am aware of this reality!

And another to think of is what Christ said: A city on a hill cannot be hidden...

Besides... If this mom goes in the logic of that she doesnt want to influence then there must be a borad in each classroom with all symbols... see i would go to the judge and say well my kids are only exposed to religion-free and i want them to be well educated and know about all...

The sad thing is that in the name of freedom they want to break peace and they want to 're-culture' the world... more like toremodule the identity in an image they think is an ideal... Doing worse then impose a religion... i don't know if i make sense...

Source: www.catholicnewsagency.com [catholicnewsagency.com]

Italy�s Minister of Education, Mariastella Gelmini, has rejected the ruling by the European Court of Human Rights in favor of removing crucifixes from public schools. She stated, �Nobody, much less a European court that is steeped in ideology, will be allowed to strip our identity away.�

S
S
In Philippians 3 we read: "Unfortunately, many go about in a way which shows them to be enemies of the cross of Christ...such as these will end in disaster! Their god is their belly and their glory is in their shame. I am talking about those who are set upon the things of this world."

May the Lord save everyone from such a fate.

Italy�s Minister of Education, Mariastella Gelmini, . . . stated, �Nobody, much less a European court that is steeped in ideology, will be allowed to strip our identity away.�

Good for her!!!!! Someone with a backbone!!!!!

L
L
Well, in fact if you read the reports, as someone put it, Italian politicians all over (ranging from left to right) are tripping over each other denouncing the ruling.

Alexis

L
L

Declaring the European Court Of Human Rights' decision to be null and void on the basis that Italy is a sovereign nation would be a good next step.

Then other questions about EU's authority would naturally come into play.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.