The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M

L
L
I don't know about the Orthodox Churches, but the Catholic Church, I believe, has forbidden the sale of holy relics (not that it doesn't go on all the time). Since antimensia contain relics, I wonder how the Orthodox feel about them being sold on eBay?

On the other hand, since it is a liturgical piece whose craftsmanship is, I suppose, not normally separated from the relic itself, I guess they can't just be given away, since someone put labor into making it, and he probably has to receive some sort of compensation in order to continue sewing the antimension.

Hmm...interesting!

Alexis

It's now 7 p.m. EST and the high bid is $150.00. I'd bid but I stopped my PayPal account over problems with them and my credit card. There seems to be some aggressive bidding on it.

BOB

It says it was issued to the Kellion of Saints Boris and Gleb in the year 2000 by an Archbishop John (Ioannis) of New York. Since this is all written in Greek I guess it is a Greek bishop?

Does this help to identify its origin? Catholic, Orthodox or vagante?

I know the seller, he is orthodox.

Originally Posted by DewiMelkite
I know the seller, he is orthodox.

That is good because he will understand the holiness of antimensia and that they do not belong to the priests but they remain the property of the bishops who issue them. Perhaps you could ask him to consider returning the antimension.

It seems likely that this antimension was issued by
Archbishop John (LoBue) of New York of the Milan Synod.

http://www.milansynodusa.org/

Here is his e-mail
abpjohn @ holynameabbey.org

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Since antimensia contain relics, I wonder how the Orthodox feel about them being sold on eBay?

Alexis,

To answer your question, both the EO and EC deplore the selling of antimensia. As Father Ambrose has indicated, they are deemed to be the property of the bishop who issued them. Except in extraordinary circumstances, the Divine Liturgy should not be served without an antimension in place and it should be that provided to the temple or presbyter by the hierarch of the jurisdiction. In effect, it is the warrant by which a church or priest is granted authorization for the service of the Divine Liturgy.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
F
In Athens, there are several shops which sell unconsecrated antimensia. It is then up to the purchaser of such a blank to petition his bishop to consecrate the antimension, which involves inserting a small parcel of authenticated relics, and signing the consecrated antimension.

Forgive me, but I am not inclined to take a "consecration" from somebody of the "Synod of Milan" seriously.

Fr. Serge

Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
In Athens, there are several shops which sell unconsecrated antimensia. It is then up to the purchaser of such a blank to petition his bishop to consecrate the antimension, which involves inserting a small parcel of authenticated relics, and signing the consecrated antimension.

Forgive me, but I am not inclined to take a "consecration" from somebody of the "Synod of Milan" seriously.

It seems the Synod of Milan is not viewed unfavourably by some in Orthodoxy. Last year two of its hieromonks were received into the Russian Orthodox Church as priests and without ordination.

It would seem to be a grey area where instead of saying "extra ecclesiam nulla sacramenta" the Orthodox will murmer "fortassse, fortasse" and apply a large measure of economy. smile

Whatever happened to this antimension? Did the seller pull it or did someone buy it?

O
O
There is perhaps a bit of an interesting end to this story.

After the discussion here (and while the auction was still ongoing), I wrote a note to the seller, asking whether the antimens still contained its relics and, if so, the names of the saints whose relics were therein. There was no response.

By the end of that day, however, the auction was listed as “ended,” with a notation that the antimens had been sold to the highest bidder. (The buyer’s identity was not given.) Interestingly, the auction apparently ended two or three days earlier than originally scheduled.

Why the auction was terminated early is uncertain. However, eBay does have a policy of forbidding the sale of any human body parts, even small relics.

M
OP Offline
M
You wrote "However, eBay does have a policy of forbidding the sale of any human body parts, even small relics".
There are frequently first class relics on Ebay. Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-RELIC-RELI...tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e86d015
Unfortunately the sale of Sacred Relics (body part fragements) does not seem to bother anyone at Ebay.

Why the auction was terminated early is uncertain.

Perhaps there was an option to buy it at a fixed price and someone took the seller up on it.

BOB

Originally Posted by theophan
Whatever happened to this antimension? Did the seller pull it or did someone buy it?

Archbishop John (LoBue) of the Milan Synod in New York who consecrated this antimension contacted the seller who is a Roman Catholic priest and the latter kindly agreed to return it to Archbishop John. The relic in the antimension is that of Saint Laurence.

Thank God for that. I just don't understand what people would want to do with an antimension in the first place and still don't understand the mindset of people who think they need to sell sacred objects used in liturgical worship.

BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.