Newest Members
Zenaida, reginaldus, j godleski, Su Butler, alek
4992 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (JDC, Fr. Deacon Lance, 1 invisible), 129 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Lost Community in Lynch, KY
Patriarch Gregory at EWTN
Panagia's Tears Prayer Rope
Recent Ecumenical Gesture
Holy Thursday Altar of Repose
Forum Stats
4992 Members
26 Forums
32925 Topics
399857 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Topic Options
#341157 - 01/11/10 03:49 PM Epiphany, Baptism, Cana
danman916 Offline

Loc: Illinois
In a passing comment, I had heard our deacon make a comment about the fact that there is a significance to the feast of Epiphany, the Baptism of the Lord, and the Wedding Feast at Cana being celebrated one after the other, and he had mentioned how the Eastern Churches recognize the significance of this moreso that western Catholicism does.
He didn't really elaborate further on this so I thought I would ask here.

What is the significance of seeing these 3 feast days together?

Thanks

Edited by danman916 (01/11/10 03:50 PM)

#341161 - 01/11/10 04:18 PM Re: Epiphany, Baptism, Cana [Re: danman916]
ByzKat Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well, in the East, the Magi are commemorated as part of the Christmas celebration, our Lord's Baptism at Theophany; the wedding feast of Cana does not have the same level of explicit celebration. All three are manifestations of our Lord: to the Gentiles (Epiphany); as Son of God (his Baptism); his first miracle (the wedding at Cana).

All three were explicitly combined by the Western Church into the feast of Epiphany on January 6, though a later calendar reform added the feast of the Baptism of the Lord (the following Sunday, I think?).

"Three wonders mark this day we celebrate: today the star led the Magi to the manger; today water was changed into wine at the marriage feast; today Christ desired to be baptized by John in the river Jordan to bring us salvation, alleluia" (Magnificat antiphon at Second Vespers, Liturgy of the Hours, Roman Rite).

Moderator:  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. Contents copyright - 1996-2014. All rights reserved.