The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jim,

Father Mike thought of something else and that reminded me of it being discussed here a few years back - that there was a sizeable Slav community in that whole area down there at one time - a community of people whom we usually associate only with the Rust and Coal Belts.

Father said

There has been a long standing Slovak communmity in Biloxi near the bridge going to Ocean Springs. There also used to be a building called the St. Nicholas Society (or something like that) but it was completely wiped out by Katrina. The coast stretches from Pascagoula to Bay St. Louis. ... I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Slovaks were originally Eastern Rite.

It might be worth your while to search out ethnic clubs in some of the local directories. I tried to find any info on-line about the society that Father mentions, but didn't have any luck. Some of the more mundane reference sources - local phone books, for instance - might be more revealing. You could also try a few notices in local Latin parish bulletins - those almost always dredge up some closet Byzantines.

And see Hungarian Folklife in Louisiana's Florida Parishes [louisianafolklife.org], for evidence of other Slav settlements in the region.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks. I just was looking in an old National Geographic I have from the 1930s. It featured an article on Mississippi. In it was a picture of Ruthenian girls on the coast dressed in their native attire and performing a traditional dance. I'll try to follow up on that suggestion. The coast is quite a ways from here, but some of their children may be in the Jackson area. Good idea.

D
D
Mr.McCafferty,

Im from Meridian, with the St. Patricks parish. I attend St. Georges pretty often in Birmingham. Deacon Scott Thomas and I, with a few friends went during the late summer last year. Scotts
grandpa being from Lebanon, was actually Melkite.

I have been trying to get some people with the same interest in the central MS area together to study more about the East. Definately feel free to contact me anytime,Im definately interested!

God Bless, Daniel Pittman

D
D
Jim,

I am from Meridian, a member of St. Patricks. We travel to
Birmingham to attend St. Georges Divine Liturgy from time to
time.

Deacon Scott Thomas went on our last trip. His family being from Lebanon, his grandfather was actually Melkite. We try to make the trip as often as possible to attend.

Im definately interested in the Eastern Rites of the Church.
Trying to find a few like minded individuals in the area.
Please feel free to contact me anytime about the Byzantine Rite.

God Bless ! Daniel Pittman

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. I'm delighted to see that Jim's efforts to find some like-minded folks in his area has attracted some notice, as I was feeling badly, knowing that we don't have very many members from that region.

I'm guessing that your second posting resulted from a concern that your first one never went through. Not to worry - as you may have read (I think it says it somewhere when one signs on), posts by new members require approval before appearing on the open forum (a precaution against spammers). Evenings, particularly on weekends, there may be a bit of delay before a Moderator actually sees and acts on them - until myself, the resident night-owl, logs in - but, it's rarely very long.

Again, welcome and I hope you'll enjoy participating here.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Hi Daniel,

I don't know if we have met. My husband is the deacon with the short, gray hair, Fr. Deacon Stan. I hope the next time you are in town I can say hi!

Pani Rose

D
D
Thank you Neil for the reply, I look forward to being active on the forum. I actually did double post, thinking my first reply didnt make it through.

Hopefully Jim will see my post soon, and will get in touch to discuss more about the East. I wish more of the Catholic community here in MS was aware of our Eastern Rite Church.I would love to see a mission established here.

Mrs Rose, thank you for getting in touch! I dont believe we have met, but I have been there many times on Saturday while your husband was celebrating the Liturgy. I plan to visit again within the next month, I will definately look forward to meeting you!

God Bless! Daniel Pittman

J
OP Offline
J
Daniel--I got your e-mail and replied, but have not heard from you by e-mail. Let me know how to contact you.

Best,

Jim McCafferty

D
D
Jim,

Im sorry about the delayed response, for some reason I didnt recieve your reply. I can be reached by clash590@yahoo.com or
either clash590@aol.com.

Please let me know if the email addy works for you. I can also
give you my number, if you care to chat sometime. I hope to hear
from you soon.

Regards, Daniel

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jim,

I know that I promised to get your contact info on the mission page this past weekend, but I got waylaid and forgot it. It will happen this weekend.

Many years,

Neil

D
D
Jim,

I have been out of touch for awhile, but wanted to touch base with you. I spoke with Father Frank at St. George's a few weekends back about an Eastern Rite mission here in MS. He said he knew of no parishioners in our region.

I believe there was once mention of an attempt of forming a mission on our Gulf Coast. I have not heard any other news on that.

Recieved some great reading material from Father Frank, including a three part catechism. I plan to make a trip back during Holy Week. Please feel free to get in touch if you care to join me. God Bless!

Regards, Daniel

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
I hope that you keep this thought alive.

My mother's family are from Liberty, McComb & Osyka (mostly) and have scattered around the state since Grandma's days. Of course they are mostly Baptists.

I had often wished when visiting that there was a Byzantine parish in the area (I would have gladly driven to Jackson for liturgy). I have recently considered relocating to the area when I return to the States, but that seems a good long wait for me presently.

In addition to the Melkites you might try to contact the Metropolia of Pittsburgh for advice on how to begin.

Good luck to you.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Michael, my brother,

Who ever knew that you had some roots planted in the Southern climes? Seriously, it's off-topic, but I want to say how good it is to see a post from you, dear friend. Your regular presence here is missed by many.

Many years,

Neil

J
OP Offline
J
Michael/Hesychios,

I sent you my e-mail by private post, but I haven't heard from you. My mother lives in McComb. Let me know on the forum if you did not get my e-mail. I will look forward to talking with you.

My 17 year old daughter, out middle child, just said yesterday that we need a Ruthenian parish in Mississippi.

Best,

Jim McCafferty
jtm@netdoor.com

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jim,

It may be a bit before you hear from Michael. He is presently in China and. I believe, occasionally experiences some delays in net access.

Many years,

Neil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.