The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by StuartK
Easier to CONTROL might be a better word.

Well, yes. I was trying to be, um. charitable. The first words that actually came to mind were control, manipulate, bully and cow. Kind of hard to do any of that with an angry Pani banging on the chancery door.

To say nothing of the expense involved in providing insurance, housing etc. for the priests' wives and children.

I would estimate that a married priest would require about $75,000 per year in direct compensation, plus housing, a car and a medical plan. Out of that, he could buy his own life insurance policy.

For comparative purposes, most rabbis make about $150,000, and some of the upscale synagogues pay their rabbi more than $300,000.

The manager of your local supermarket is paid more than six figures. A priest is worth at least that much. The journeyman is worthy of his wage.
Having grown up as a PK (priest's kid), L am speaking here only from my own experiences. Your figures about compensation brought me a good laugh as within the Slavic Orthodox churches in the United States such levels are hardly the norm. The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has a more generous structured salary plan. The distinction between the compensation levels of the Churches of Slavic origin and the Greeks is that with the American Slavs it has been typical to provide a rectory. Most Panis, Matuskas and Presvyteras these days work full time, as sadly do many of the clergy in order to get by. One more thing that is true, it is much harder for Bishops to move and assign clergy these days due to outside jobs and the fact that today's American children are far more outspoken than children in the past. Ironically, I know of more than one parish whose history in Orthodoxy can be traced to the celibacy disputes in the 1930's who prefer celibate priests today. I personally think that there is room in the Church for both married and celibate clergy as each brings his own special grace to the priesthood.

L
L

I wondered how the situation would play out if a married priest's wife has a good paying job that's necessary to support the family, and then either the parish closes or the bishop moves the priest.

S
S
You work things out, the way you do in military families. But usually the bishop leaves things as they are unless he can get the agreement of both the priest and the pani. Of course, not all bishops are equally wise. . .

Originally Posted by babochka
Originally Posted by danman916
Just running some numbers;

to support a married priest, with a total salary and benefits package of $90k, even for a very small parish of only 100 familes (assuming 1 offering per week per family), would be just over $17 per week from each family.

That's really not all that much if you think about it, and that's just with 100 regular weekly contributors.

My latin rite parish has over a thousand families.

I think you're underestimating the number of people who think they are doing well to put 5-10 dollars in the collection plate every week. For them, and they represent significant numbers, you are asking that they more than double their contribution.

babochka-

that's true... that's why it is important for each parish to teach on stewardship/tithing. For a significant number who do put $5-10 in the offering that represents less than 1% of their weekly income. As with other areas of our lives, when it come to financial support, we no longer give the first fruits to God, but our left overs.

A
A
My priest makes more than my wife and I combined do, especially if you count the rent-equivalent for the 2 bedroom rectory.

For me, a $5 is a painful amount; it means 25% of whats left after rent and bills.

On a good week, that is.

Last edited by aramis; 02/03/10 01:40 AM.
S
S
Contribute in kind. Sweat equity is always welcome. Latin parishes could (and probably should) reduce their expenses by cutting back on the plethora of paid "ministries" on the payroll.

75k, plus housing, a car, and a medical plan?
That's a pretty sweet deal that the majority of American families don't even have.

I will admit, though, I think that is really what it will take. I hold to the belief that what used to draw men to the priesthood was upward mobility. The priesthood used to offer education and increased social stature. Now that everyone has the chance to receive higher education, and can get a 401k plan, etc. the economic and social benefits aren't there anymore.
I wouldn't discount that factor in the decline of vocations in the past 60 years.

Given the Australian cost of living, 75k plus all the perks (except the house) is indeed a very good deal.

S
S
But America is not Australia. Now, in the wilds of Pennsylvania or Ohio, $75,000 is living in the lap of luxury, in California, Metro DC, downstate New York, most of New Jersey and a number of other places, $75,000 is just getting by for a family of four. To get an idea of the cost of living differences, you can check the Office of Personnel Management's locality adjustment tables.

P
P
If the Jewish model works, we can always imitate that model. How much money in relation to his income is a Jew obliged to spend on the congregation? Do they tithe, or collect money during services, or what?

In Germany churches are financed by the state, but the church members are obliged to pay a special church tax. A good way to promote secularism, IMO.

D
DMD Offline
D
I've heard the 'rent' equivalent' argument all of my life. My father always said to people that it was fine, and he accepted that, but when you can't serve the parish, you are left with nothing. We lived in a fine, middle class house with beautiful furniture. After my mother passed away and my father retired he bought a house at the age of 75 and struggled the rest of his years with a mortgage and home ownership issues. I'm not complaining, nor was he, but lay people have to realize that the ability to have equity for retirement is necessary with a married clergy. That is why the Greeks typically do not provide a rectory and pay their pastors like the professionals that they are.

Last edited by DMD; 02/03/10 01:21 PM.
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
But America is not Australia. Now, in the wilds of Pennsylvania or Ohio, $75,000 is living in the lap of luxury, in California, Metro DC, downstate New York, most of New Jersey and a number of other places, $75,000 is just getting by for a family of four. To get an idea of the cost of living differences, you can check the Office of Personnel Management's locality adjustment tables.

Get out of your bubble!!! The latest figure I saw recently was that over 1/2 the country (USA) makes less than $50k...

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by Collin Nunis
75k, plus housing, a car, and a medical plan?
That's a pretty sweet deal that the majority of American families don't even have.

I will admit, though, I think that is really what it will take. I hold to the belief that what used to draw men to the priesthood was upward mobility. The priesthood used to offer education and increased social stature. Now that everyone has the chance to receive higher education, and can get a 401k plan, etc. the economic and social benefits aren't there anymore.
I wouldn't discount that factor in the decline of vocations in the past 60 years.

Given the Australian cost of living, 75k plus all the perks (except the house) is indeed a very good deal.

Colin, even in the USA that is a very good deal!!!

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Whether 75K is really all that great of a deal depends on a lot of things--number of children in the family, the cost of living in a given area, whether or not you have student loan obligations, etc. I almost never agree with Stuart, but I'm with him on this one.

D
DMD Offline
D
If you start with the argument that a priest is a trained, educated professional, probably possessing seven years of higher education as a minimum, with a vocation to serve the Lord (this allows you to presume that financial gain is not his motivating force) a look at 'comparable' professionals in an area's public sector is probably your best base for compensation comparability. 'Comparables' would include, but not be limited to: social workers with at least an MSW, school guidance counselors, addiction/marital counselors etc... A compensation package would have to include family health insurance, disability insurance and a retirement plan. This issue vexes many an Orthodox congregation on an annual basis and would represent such a cultural change in the Latin Church that I wonder how many decades it would take to adapt to a married clergy.

S
S
Well, it's not really the Latin Church of which we are speaking, but the Greek Catholic Churches in North America, which were stripped of their patrimony by the constitution Ea Semper and thus never had a real chance to develop the institutional infrastructure to support married priests.

But, as the Holy See has called upon us to restore the fullness of our Tradition in all respects, we must also restore the married priesthood (and Byzantine monasticism, too), which means starting pretty much from scratch. As I said, there are more than 100 married Latin priests in the United States today, and I expect those numbers to increase as more Anglicans take advantage of the new ordinariates. Eastern Catholics can at least look at how their parishes manage, in addition to those of our Orthodox brethren.

The situation is not helped when some Greek Catholic bishops say out loud that they do not favor restoration of the married priesthood in their eparchies. It's one thing to have a "policy", but it counts for little if the policy is undermined by the attitudes of the people meant to implement it.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.