The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Someone asked about the former Cathedral. It's still standing and is now being referred to as the proto-cathedral. One parishioner maintains a blog [cathedralofstmary.blogspot.com].

As to historical issues with Bishop Soter. There's a lot of historical information about him in the book Historical Mirror [archive.org], edited by Fr. John Slivka, which can be read online.

M
M
Dearest Father Deacon John,

Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
Since Stuart continues to use the terms "we" and "us," he, along with the previous eparchs, must know that only the patriarch, with the consent of the synod of bishops, may modify an eparchy and transfer the eparchial see. Since our particular Church is not under the jurisdiction of an Eastern patriarch, the Holy Father acts as such. Whether one likes that arrangement or not is not the question at this time. All I know is that the request was made and it was granted February 6, 2010 and it was effective immediately.

To preserve good order, the Church has enacted canons which are followed in order to modify eparchies and transfer eparchial sees. The eparchial bishop does not act unilaterally.

So our eparchs (George, Wiiliam, and Gerald) did not act in accordance with Stuart's liking and continued to operate a "fictious" eparchy? Apparently his position as a military analyst allows him to tell those in authority over him how they should perform their duties.

The purpose of my post was to share good news with this cyber community. The real tragedy is that there are some who are not able to accept good news.
I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

"only the patriarch, with the consent of the synod of bishops, may modify an eparchy and transfer the eparchial see. Since our particular Church is not under the jurisdiction of an Eastern patriarch, the Holy Father acts as such."

This same ecclesiological principle is evident in the OOC (which, it should be noted, also reflects the same tension). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the same principle at work among the EOC's as well (i.e., with regards to metropolitan Churches in relation to a Patriarch)?

I really, really don't understand why people are complaining that the Ruthenian Church is not a real Church because of this ecclesiological exigency. Until we have an Eastern Catholic Byzantine Patriarch for the Slavs, it seems perfectly normal for the Holy Father to fulfill that function and purpose.

Humbly,
Marduk

Originally Posted by dochawk
Getting back to the topic . . .

What will whatever is left of the former cathedral in Van Nuys now be called? Or is it just a condemned builidng that hasn't opened since the quake?

dochawk,

Stuart misspoke in refrence to the proto-Cathedral of St Mary. Although it suffered some minor damage in the Northridge Quake, it was never closed, condemned or otherwise rendered unusable. The eparchial office and bishop's residence did in fact suffer major damage and rendered unusable. As a result, Bishop George, of blessed memory, moved the chancery and his residence to facilities located at Saint Stephen, Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited by Deacon John Montalvo; 02/15/10 12:53 AM.
As I recall, during that quake (1994, I believe) there was a large 3 story apartment building that collapsed and was featured on the nightly news for several days as rescue efforts were underway. I remember being told that Bishop George's residence was just across the street from that severely damaged building.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by DTBrown
Someone asked about the former Cathedral. It's still standing and is now being referred to as the proto-cathedral. One parishioner maintains a blog [cathedralofstmary.blogspot.com].

Dave,

In fact, the parishioner who maintains the blog is Steve Petach, a member of our forum community.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
May God grant many blessings to the Eparchy of Phoenix and its members!

Too back the news was accompanied by this bickering; hopefully with the start of the Great Fast this time will be spent in prayer.

Fr Deacon Paul

A
A
Originally Posted by Alice
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Why the Protection of Mary, instead of the Protection of the "Mother of God"? Just curious. The names "Mary" and "Jesus," when accompanied by no other titles reflecting their importance to us, have increasingly not settled well in my ears. That's why traditionally in the Latin Church saying "Our Lady" and "Our Lord" were encouraged (and still are by many holy priests and layfolk). Names that are said all the time begin to seem overly common to us.

Alexis

I totally agree with Alexis.

According to my own recollection and also according to Fr. James, Bishop William requested "Protection of the Theotokos Eparchy of Phoenix"...

Father James said that it is hoped that the Nuncio merely made a bad translation from the Latin of the decree.

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Originally Posted by dochawk
Getting back to the topic . . .

What will whatever is left of the former cathedral in Van Nuys now be called? Or is it just a condemned builidng that hasn't opened since the quake?

Wow, I hadn't realised that the Proto-Cathedral was condemned.

The Eparchial offices were not on the actual Cathedral address in Sherman Oaks, CA rather they were located in Northridge, CA. The building the offices were in was conmemned and would have cost too much to rebuild. Fortunately the Cathedral, the rectory and the parish hall sufferd only minor damage that was easily repaired.

Earthquake insurance is available out here. At the time (1994) earthquake insurance was strictly optional. I don't think the Eparchy had earthquake insurance prior to Jan 1994.

The reason the offices are not at the cathedral address were mostly due to the high cost of construction and real estate at the time. Also, there is no room to expand the Cathedral property as we are surrounded by large apartment buildings on three sides and a major boulevard on the fourth.

The Cathedral (now Proto-Cathedral) is very much alive, active and open. I maintain an unofficial blog and a facebook group for the cathedral.

We all knew it was just a matter of time for the name change to be official. It does seem strange that while Rome encourages us to be a sui juris church, we still had to wait for a formal approval of a name change from Rome.

B
B
\\but continued to call it the Eparchy of Van Nuys as if there was any hope of rebuilding the old cathedral and moving back there.\\

Well, didn't the Eparchy of Mukachevo move to Uzhorod centuries ago, and it's STILL called "Eparchy of Mukachevo"?

The distance by road between both town in Ukraine is on only 40 kms (25 miles), so in effect both places are just down the road from each other. This is not the case of the recently renamed eparchy.

cool

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Pavel Ivanovich
The distance by road between both town in Ukraine is on only 40 kms (25 miles), so in effect both places are just down the road from each other. This is not the case of the recently renamed eparchy.

cool

Paul, my brother,

But, 'just down the road from each other' is a relative description. Twenty-five miles was no mean travel feat in the days before motorized transport - about a day if one were traveling with any load, half that at a sustained gallop such as might have been done by troops under arms. The 400 miles distance between Van Nuys and Phoenix is, today, about a six hour journey by car - less than an hour by flight. BpBasil's point is valid - they are not the same place.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.