The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anna Offline OP
OP Offline
Benny Hinn is in the news again-his wife is filing for a divorce. I was not aware of his Orthodox background-I read this in Wikipedia:

Hinn was born in Jaffa, in 1952, in the then newly established state of Israel. His father was of Greek heritage and in communion with the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem of the Eastern Orthodox Churches and his mother an Armenian in communion with the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem. He was raised within the Eastern Orthodox tradition. As a teenager in Toronto, Hinn converted from Greek Orthodoxy to Pentecostalism, eventually joining a singing troupe made up of young evangelicals...Hinn was taught the bible and mentored by Winston I. Nunes of Faith Temple in Toronto.

D
DMD Offline
D

eli Offline
Another who made a business out of the god he worships!

I am very sad for his soul:

Read about him here
[google.com]

A further thought: When one becomes spiritually deluded (known as 'prelest' in Russian or 'plani' in Greek), I have read that they can become demonic. I believe this is what has happened to Benny Hinn in his rantings, ravings and self annointed holiness, and let us remember that the demons can fool with miracles as well.

That is why I am very sad for his soul.

Briefly, the difference between "general prelest" and prelest in the particular sense of the word can, on the basis of the above. be expressed thus. General prelest is forgetting and not noticing one's sinfulness. That which we call prelest proper is attributing to oneself righteousness when it does not actually exist. If a man thinks he is righteous, then his righteousness is not divine, but diabolical, foreign to the grace of God and to humility. One should recall the famous saying of Abba Poemen the Great: "I prefer a man who sins and repents to one who does not sin and does not repent. The first has good thoughts, for he admits that he is sinful. But the second has false, soul-destroying thoughts, for he imagines himself to be righteous" (Bp. Ignatius, Patericon, 75).

G
G
Regarding the possibility of demonic miracles in Benny Hinn's ministry, I have a former client who worked in his ministry here in Dallas. He says the healings were faked. I realize a former employee could have an axe to grind, but this is a good man. I believe his claims.

Gregg

Alice kind of like the (forgive my spelling here)the Saducee and the Pharacee.

S
S
I readily admit I suspect almost everything having to do with Holy-Rollerism is fake. Whether demons are involved I couldn't say but I do think we can pray (in a non-pharisaical manner) that Mr. Hinn find his way back to Orthodoxy.

If you 'feel the spirit' it is good to ask which spirit you are feeling.

Healing is based on the persons faith in God, therefore healings can take place even at the ministry of charlatans.
Stephanos I

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.