The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Does anyone here know if there has been a study of Ignatian spirituality from an Eastern perspective? I know some argue that the two are incompatible, but I am curious if any Eastern Christians practice Ignatian Prayer on this site, or know of resources that discuss Ignatian prayer from an Eastern approach/perspective. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Thanks!

There are several Byzantine Jesuits, Archimandrite Robert Taft being foremost. the following Byzantine Jesuits had their email available on their websites. Perhaps they could help.

Fr. Mark Ciccone, SJ: markcicconesj@hotmail.com
Fr. Tom Sable, SJ: sable@scranton.edu

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Slava Isusu Christu!

When I studied Ignatian spirituality at Gonzaga University as a part of a class we talked about this issue. In Eastern spirituality we seek a process of unknowing; for the mind cannot contemplate the Essence of the Trinity--only experience the Energies that proceed from It and which fill the cosmos. We must empty the imagination of all images, to descend into the darkness in which there is the Uncreated Light so that the mind in descending into the heart may receive the Divine Energies of the Holy Spirit and in doing so both body and soul may be deified, transformed; To be transfigured in our totality and through a lifetime of struggle and internal martyrdom become 'gods-by-Grace'--receiving a new baptism "of the Holy Spirit" daily by the shedding of divine and holy tears as His gift to us.

In Ignatian spirituality, as expressed in the Exercises that Inigo or St. Ignatius gave us, the creative use of the imagination used by the Holy Spirit is the focus in the bringing the person not only to see "God in all things", but also to truly be brought to penance leading to on-going conversion, and a foretaste of the Beatific Vision through the process of using our imagination guided by the Holy Spirit.

The two fundamental differences are:

Eastern Spirituality: Uknowing--no use of the human imagination in prayer, Divine Darkness leading to Uncreated Light, No vision of God's Essence in prayer or divine and created forms, the gift of tears as another baptism or a renewal of the baptismal and chrismational energies, prayer used: specifically Jesus Prayer to bring the mind into the Heart and Nous, where we are in constant communion with the Divine Persons of the Trinity.

Ignatian Spirituality: Creativily spiritual use of the imagination in prayer, meditation and contemplation--God uses the imagination to bring us to penance, salvation, and sanctification. One can know the Nature of God and have the Vision of God's Essence, See God in All Things, Grace is created, Both traditions desire to seek a profound spiritual experience.

The Eastern tradition might critique the Ignatian method by saying that these forms created in the imagination are idols. And contrariwise Ignatian method would assert God can indeed use the imagination to bring the person to a deeper more profound awareness of God's presence not only in the created order, but also in the soul.

Are the two methods able to achieve synthesis? Perhaps, but each method of spiritual practice, in order for it to be authentically experienced, needs to be experienced and practiced as they are taught by their living masters and spiritual Fathers or directors. For us to achieve a synthesis on a theoretical level would not only disrespect the integrity of each tradition of prayer, but it would perhaps give us over to prelest or self-deception.

This is only a taste, but I hope it may help.

In Christ our God,

Robert

Last edited by Robert Horvath; 03/30/10 07:15 PM.
These journal entries are pertinent:

Bibliography

Maloney, George A. "The gift of tears in the writings of St Ignatius Loyola and the Eastern Fathers." Diakonia 26, no. 1 (1993): 5-13. Catholic Periodical and Literature Index, EBSCOhost (accessed March 30, 2010).

Melloni, Javier. "The Spiritual exercises and the spirituality of the East." Way Supplement 103, (May 2002): 55-65. Catholic Periodical and Literature Index, EBSCOhost (accessed March 30, 2010).

One of the greatest manuals on Eastern Spirituality is Father Tomáš Špidlík, SJ's "The Spirituality of the Christian East: A Systematic Handbook." (Cistercian Studies) (Hardcover). If you get this book you will forever cherish it and never regret it.

Check them out.

In Christ,

Robert

Last edited by Robert Horvath; 03/30/10 07:49 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you Robert

Slava Isusu Christu!

I am glad it helped. Also, please contact the priests also that Father Lance recommended to you. Jesuit priests are always good to know; if anyone has created a synthesis they have:)

In Christ God,

Robert

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Also, please contact the priests also that Father Lance recommended to you. Jesuit priests are always good to know; if anyone has created a synthesis they have:)

I agree...I hope I don't damage him in any way by saying this...having studied under and worked beside Fr. Tom Sable SJ...I can say he is a great person to contact...I believe Fr. John Levko, SJ is still at the University of Scranton as well!!! He was a vocation of the Rutheinian BC parish in Bethlehem, PA.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Job
I believe Fr. John Levko, SJ is still at the University of Scranton as well!!! He was a vocation of the Rutheinian BC parish in Bethlehem, PA.

Chris,

He is still listed on their faculty.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
John
John
Originally Posted by Predanije
Does anyone here know if there has been a study of Ignatian spirituality from an Eastern perspective? I know some argue that the two are incompatible, but I am curious if any Eastern Christians practice Ignatian Prayer on this site, or know of resources that discuss Ignatian prayer from an Eastern approach/perspective. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Thanks!
I received an interesting e-mail on this:

Under “Faith and Worship” there is a thread on the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius in the East – St Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain translated it into Greek and published it under a different name (this was later found out and he was criticized for it for a while). However, it is still read on Mt Athos to this day (see St Nicodemos, Paulist Press, Introduction).

S
S
You might add that his Unseen Warfare was largely a translation/paraphrase of Lorenzo Scupoli's Spiritual Combat.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.