The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I haved used Eastern/Byzantine prayer books for years, that's what I feel comfortable with...

Bingo! Youre right!
Was that a good Catholc response. wink
Stephanos I

E
E
Me, too. I use the old SVIT prayerbook published in 1959 by
priests of the Wilkes-Barre Deanery of the OCA. It is bi-lingual
(English and Slavonic) and has a lot of stuff in it. It is
obvious that some of the translators were not native Engish
speakers (They don't know what to do with the word "the") but
most of the prayers are well translated.

Edmac

. . . some of the translators were not native Engish
speakers (They don't know what to do with the word "the") . . .

Edmac:

Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

Welcome back; good to see you posting again. I had to laugh when I read this part of your post. I have a thing--being an English teacher by training--about "bring" and "take." Wrong use of thee is like fingernails ont he blackboard to me. Well, the NAB readings for Palm Sunday in the Latin Church don't differentiate and when my pastor asked me to narrate the Passion it was all I could do to read a word that screamed in my brain WRONG.

Bob

C
C
Christ is Risen!

What is wrong with getting the Byzantine rite prayer book? I think you would have good luck with that. But I was wondering witch edition you were using because I cant seem to find that prayer in my edition? And wouldn't you find a lot more prayers than just that to change? I have a lot of prayers in my edition that are particular to Orthodox. I even remember the old 1963 version that had the tale of the five prayers in the back. I think it was 1963? Chad

Chad:

Christ is Risen!!

You misread me. I wasn't pointing out any problem with a prayerbook in the Byzantine tradition. My comment was about those who translate and don't render products that a native speaker would. And the previous comment implied that the person(s) who had done a certain Byzantine book probably weren't native speakers. I followed with a comment about people who are allegedly native speakers who also don't do such a hot job.

Bob

John
John
I will agree with Bob and others.

I've seen what I call "fake Elizabethan English", a style that just does not come close to the majesty of the English used in the King James Bible, and like the beauty in Bishop Kallistos/Mother Mary's translations.

And I've seen where someone has tried to update a text from what was an excellent Elizabethan English text by changing the "Thou hast" to "You are" but while leaving the rest of the sentence structure unchanged. When it's not done right it can be ugly!

Translations into Standard English must be both accurate and elegant. Musical settings must properly accent the text as it is spoken.

S
S
I call it Olde Englishe. Lots of it to be found in quaint shoppes around Old Towne Alexandria.

Funny how everyone retains the Douai-Rheims version of Our Father (which is almost identical to the KJV, which is of course derived from Tyndale. Nobody in his right mind would pray it as given in the NAB (or Psalm 23, for that matter--no, make that any of the Psalms).

C
C
Sorry I was addressing the start of the thread. I had not even got to you guys yet. Not that I had anything wrong with what you were saying.

But since you are on the translation points I will say that the Boston translation has been the best and the one used in the Jordanville for the Psalms ever since it came out.
And we have always used the KJV and that is from Holoviaks of all places. A long time ago they they offered the old KJV and would sell the inserts separately if you wanted them.As a mater of fact if any of you have an old Holoviaks insert that you want to get rid of I will be VERY interested in it. Chad

NAB . . . Psalms

Aaah, the fingernails on the blackboard . . .

Some years ago my children bought me a new NAB with very large print--something that my eyes needed badly. Then I learned that the Revised Psalms did not have the recognitio--the revised New Testament was another matter. And I've flet violated every since. Lots of money and a leather cover, only to have a poor, politically correct set of words on paper.

Don't you love it?

Bob

Originally Posted by chadrook
But since you are on the translation points I will say that the Boston translation has been the best and the one used in the Jordanville for the Psalms ever since it came out.

The clergy are revolting (well aren't they always! grin ) On the clergy lists many of the priests have said they wish to return to the Coverdale psalms (this is what is used in Hapgood and, until recent decades, throughout the Anglican Church.) Bishop Jerome of the Russian Orthodox Church (Abroad) is in favour of the use of Coverdale and he has a committee set up to produce a printed Psalter in kathismata. I've never used any other psalms but Coverdale's and will not use Boston's.

I'm glad you said that but some try to impose it on people.
It bothers me greatly when a few people insist on saying it that way when the rest of the congregations says it the other way.
Stephanos I crazy

Folks,

Just out of curiosity, when you all say the "Boston" translation which translation do you mean?

Thanks!

C
C
Father Ambrose,

I have that Psalter and I also think it is really good. I posted it on the Book section. But you know how it is with getting a parish to switch. I am still getting use to some of the wording but it is very much the same. Really the only thing I didnt like was going from holy mountain to holy hill. I was fortunate enough to get one of the Two color copies. Chad

MarkosC:

Glad you asked because I wanted to know the same thing. confused

Bob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.