The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Paradise Press 2009 David Mitchell James

While English speaking Orthodox now have a variety of translations of the psalter to choose from none of them are entirely satisfactory from the vantage point of the Russian orthodox worshiper, because they are all lacking the supplementary prayers and instructional matter customarily found in a standard psalter according to the practice of the Russian Orthodox church.

Now I must say that I have never seen anything like this EVER in English. And it is in two color and 8.5x11 perfect for Church use.It has all instructions and begining prayers and ending prayers you name it it has it. Chad

F
F
The book is beautifully done, well and nicely bound, and eminently suitable for use in church or at home.

Fr. Serge

T
T
Have a look at this link I found:

http://www.pomog.org/catalog/psalter.pdf

There was a link to it on the Eparchy of Parma page.

C
OP Offline
C

Tradycja

I will tell you that this is not the one I am talking about. The one I am talking about is a complete new translation from the slavonic with reference to the Coverdale translation and KJV. You will not find use of the Boston translation in it.

John
John
"Slavic Orthodox Psalter [lulu.com]"

Complied by David Michell James of Rye, New Hampshire, 2009, with the blessing of Bishop Jerome of Manhattan (ROCOR). The translation of the Psalter is Coverdale (1535), modified to support the LXX. I've prayed it cover to cover. It is magnificent.

J
J
FYI, the name of this new translation was changed from The Russian Orthodox Psalter to The Slavic Orthodox Psalter in February, at the suggestion of Archbishop Mark of Germany and Great Britain (ROCOR), since, as he rightly noted, the Church Slavonic Psalter is the same in all the Churches of the Slavic lands.

Up until a few days ago, it had been available both as a hardbound book and as a free download at www.lulu.com. [lulu.com.] However, now the title does not show up when one searches for it, and my attempts to republish it keep generating an "unrecoverable error - unable to publish" message. I have e-mailed support (no phone support, of course), but have yet to receive a response. In the meantime, if anyone would like a copy, because of the very kind comments here, I would be happy to send a pdf.

C
OP Offline
C
Cool I didnt know that! Fr Mark made a big deal about it and so he picked up some. Ya know Eighth Day Publications might be interested in publishing it. Chad

A
A
Love to, but your PM limit is reached.

J
J
Originally Posted by aramis

My quota appears to be zero, and I don't know how to change it. Perhaps it is because I am new here.

David

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
David,

It's an anti-spam, etc, protective feature that locks out new posters from the PM function and requires their posts be approved by a moderator before being viewable.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
G
G
I found it at Lulu as a printed book for $25.00 + $4.99 shipping. Ordered it Sunday 4-18-10. Will let you all know if there is any SNAFU.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by jamesdm49
Originally Posted by aramis

My quota appears to be zero, and I don't know how to change it. Perhaps it is because I am new here.

David,

You should now have PM privileges.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Gabriel
I found it at Lulu as a printed book for $25.00 + $4.99 shipping. Ordered it Sunday 4-18-10. Will let you all know if there is any SNAFU.

Interesting - I couldn't pull it up 24h ago there. So, hopefully, David's support request to them was productive.

Many years,

Neil

J
J
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Originally Posted by Gabriel

Interesting - I couldn't pull it up 24h ago there. So, hopefully, David's support request to them was productive.

Many years,

Neil

XB! Nor could I. However, now I think the link is working again. Would you mind double-checking for me? Here is the link:

http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/the-slavic-orthodox-psalter/10634174

Thanks!
David James

D
D
David James,

XB! I was wondering if I could contact you about the pdf file; the link you posted above works for the hardback (which I'm considering buying), but the original urls for the file download and hardback no longer work.

My email is davidbryanw AT gmail DOT com (I can't do PMs).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.