The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Deacon Robert Behrens
[quote=ajk][quote=storyteller]
Not sure where the "new" rubric comes from in our new archieraticon. However, I've been provided with a you-tube clip of a Hierarchical Liturgy at St. George ROCOR parish in Howell, NJ, on St. George's day. It is interesting to note that the protodeacon faces Met. Hilarion with the Gospel at the Little Entrance. Here's the clip.

Dn. Robert

Thanks Fr Deacon Robert for the clip reference, but this poor "little Russian" is confused by the vestments. The Hierarchy and priest have gold/white vestment but the deacons, subdeacon and acolytes are wearing white sticharia and RED oraria???? What's up with that? May 10 was a Thursday; St Geeorge is a martyr....shouldn't all the clergy be wearing either red (dark?) or light vestments?

Hmmm, maybe our Rusin Church has been doing it wrong all along?

Last edited by Paul B; 07/09/10 01:06 AM. Reason: trouble with emoticons
A
A
Originally Posted by Lawrence
As somewhat of an outsider, I've got to ask. What are some examples of Hellenization and Russianification in the Ruthenian Church ?

hellenizations: Theotokos instead of Bohorodicen is the most obvious. The new books being essentially greek with some ruthenianizations being another.

As for russifications... large numbers of Russian prostopinije arrangements in 4 part have found their way into the Ukrainian and Ruthenian uses.

What in the world is "Russian prostopinje"? There are polyphonic Kyivan, Obikhod and choral arrangements that would seem to fit this description, but certainly not Carpatho-Rusyn Prostopinje.

So what do the Old Ritualists do?

The deacon most certainly does not do the intonation at the Small Entrance facing versus populum in any Old Rite hierarchal celebrations I am aware of. The deacon is leading an Entrance and is facing this way for a definite liturgical reason. This reminds me of the Latin Pauline practice to face the people with the Gospel book prior to reading. Perhaps this is an example of neolatinization rather than hellenization or russification?

S
S
This is still a common practice, one which is violated at one's peril. My daughter was once selected to read for BCY, and did so from the center of the nave, versus apsidem, as opposed to just before the solea, versus populum (normal in the parish). She was never asked to read again.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Diak
So what do the Old Ritualists do?

The deacon most certainly does not do the intonation at the Small Entrance facing versus populum in any Old Rite hierarchal celebrations I am aware of.
Nor does he do so in the you-tube clip of a Hierarchical Liturgy at St. George ROCOR parish given in a previous post. He does turn around afterward, but the bishop is giving the blessing immediately rather than proceeding forward as I believe the Ruthenian Archieratikon specifies. In the clip the bishop also gives a second round of blessings -- 2 then, 4 previously -- before entering the Altar -- again, not in the Ruthenian ritual. (The deacon also appears to make the sign of the cross with the book as opposed to just raising it.)

C
C
The two online videos I have seen of an Old Rite Hierarchical Small Entrance begin after "Premudrost, prosti." Regardless, Deacon Randy is right--they would not face the hierarch.

From Bishop Daniel's funeral:

From an Old Rite community in Romania:

(What did we ever do before YouTube?!)

Dn. David

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Paul B
Originally Posted by Deacon Robert Behrens
[quote=ajk][quote=storyteller]
Not sure where the "new" rubric comes from in our new archieraticon. However, I've been provided with a you-tube clip of a Hierarchical Liturgy at St. George ROCOR parish in Howell, NJ, on St. George's day. It is interesting to note that the protodeacon faces Met. Hilarion with the Gospel at the Little Entrance. Here's the clip.

Dn. Robert

Thanks Fr Deacon Robert for the clip reference, but this poor "little Russian" is confused by the vestments. The Hierarchy and priest have gold/white vestment but the deacons, subdeacon and acolytes are wearing white sticharia and RED oraria???? What's up with that? May 10 was a Thursday; St Geeorge is a martyr....shouldn't all the clergy be wearing either red (dark?) or light vestments?

Hmmm, maybe our Rusin Church has been doing it wrong all along?

Great Russian usage has much which is different from our way. I could write a book.

Dn. Robert

F
F
Father Deacon Robert tells us:

I could write a book.

Lead me not into temptation!

Fr. Serge

Originally Posted by StuartK
First, in liturgical chant, the music is shaped by the language of the text. Thus, the Slavs had to substantially alter the melismatic Greek chants they received from Byzantium to deal with the multi-syllabic consonant clusters prevalent in Slavonic. When the music moves from Slavonic to English, one is confronted by the problem of the missing syllables.

Are you inferring that we should alter the received Prostopinje back to the Greek chant because of missing syllables or should we substanially alter the plain chant to fit the English text?

S
S
The plainchant should be adapted to accommodate English, even if it requires a degree of simplification. Simplification goes on all the time--what is sung in Mukachevo today bears no resemblance to what Boskaj compiled in 1906 (its much closer to what we were singing, in fact). As someone famously said, "The curlicues don't work". Gradually, a uniquely "American" Prostopinje will emerge, just as Prostopinje evolved out of Kievan Chant, which in turn evolved out of Byzantine Chant.

The beauty of the Byzantine rite is its ability to adapt to whatever culture it is in, while still remaining fundamentally Byzantine.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.