The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Vigilante, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5603 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (P H), 81 guests, and 458 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,737
Posts411,934
Members5,603
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eastern approach to Moral Theology #352600 09/08/10 04:40 AM
Luvr of East Offline OP
OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have heard that the West is to legalistic in it's approach to Moral Theology. I have, in my apologetic group led by a Roman Moral Theologian, gone over to a certain depth the basics of Moral Theology, at least from the Roman approach. This approach being to look at the act itself to determine whether an act is morally good, morally neutral or morally. You determine this by looking at 1) the Object (or Remote Intention), 2) the Intention (or Ultimate Intention) and 3) the Circumstances (the classic 5 W's - Who What When Where Why and How). All three must be good or neutral for an act to not be evil, in other woods for a good or at least morally neutral act. After that, if an act is morally evil, then you look at 1) whether or not a person has/had full knowledge that the act was evil and 2) having full knowledge of the evilness of an act they still commit it. You look at these to determine if a morally evil act is Venial or Mortal.

So that is what I understand of some of the basics of the Roman approach to Moral theology. So, how do Eastern Christians go about Moral Theology and how is it different from this?

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Re: Eastern approach to Moral Theology [Re: Luvr of East] #352616 09/08/10 10:03 AM
S
StuartK Offline
S
There is a very nice, short monograph for catechists, Shown to Be Holy: An Introduction to Eastern Christian Moral Thought, which should be available either in the parish icon corner, or through Byzantine Seminary Press. I would be surprised if there was not a copy floating around at HT, but in any case, I think I have a few floating around (I used to in my Eastern Christian ECF classes, as opposed to the horrid 1970s-era workbooks we had), which I can give to you.

Re: Eastern approach to Moral Theology [Re: StuartK] #352618 09/08/10 11:40 AM
Luvr of East Offline OP
OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Stuart,

That would be truly wonderful. I am trying to deprogram my mind as a Roman and relearn how to think as a Melkite. I think I have read posts on other threads that mention how many people of Eastern rites and Churches are still Roman/Latin in how they think and understand the Sacraments, theology and spirituality. Before I read any of those posts though, I had been concerned of being a religious oreo if I change my Church from Rome to Melkite. In other words of being ritually Melkite but still having the mind, thinking and understand of Rome. If I change my Church, I do not wish to still be Roman in my mind and understand, but wish to be thoroughly Melkite and Byzantine.

LOL, actually, yesterday, I was at a council meeting for my apologetic group and we prayed the "Glory be" and I was about to spurt out the Melkite version which has a different second half. I just now was trying to remember the Roman second half and it took me a while to remember. Maybe I'm making progress. LOL

BTW, are you going to be at DL at HT tonight?

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Re: Eastern approach to Moral Theology [Re: Luvr of East] #352638 09/08/10 04:47 PM
S
StuartK Offline
S
I think I may. Depends on when I finish work, as I am going out of town next week and need to complete several projects before then.

Re: Eastern approach to Moral Theology [Re: StuartK] #352647 09/08/10 05:16 PM
A
AMM Offline
A
I have never once heard moral theology discussed as a distinct area of thought.

Re: Eastern approach to Moral Theology [Re: AMM] #352659 09/08/10 07:50 PM
S
StuartK Offline
S
I'm not partial to dividing up theology into separate specialties as though it was any other academic discipline, but then, I am averse to considering theology an academic discipline in the first place. That said, there certainly is a field call "moral theology", and it is what it sounds like: the implications of theology on moral thought and activities.

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.