The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
This is from Dormition Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Moscow, so I'm a bit confused as to how common this is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zion_history_museum_moscow.jpg

Online Content
Lawrence:

Christ is in our midst!!

What is your question? Tabernacles have often been ornate places to house Christ's Holy Body and Most Precious Blood. Artist's and metalworker's visions have always been welcomed in the Church. Sometimes they may seem to be a bit overdone by the visions of another age, but that doesn't take away from the vision of the earlier age.

It looks like you have the Holy Apostles guarding the Holy Mysteries, something like the visions of the Seraphim in Heaven keeping direct gaze off the Holy Trinity enthroned on the Cherubim. Reminds me of the Cherubic Hymn: "Let us who mystically represent the Cherubim . . ." Or think of it as the charge given to the priest at his ordination to guard the Holy Mysteries and not to fear even the civil power because he will have to answer on the Day of Judgment for his stewardship.

The tabernacle in my parish church is an artist's representation of the burning bush that Moses saw: a round vessel whose surface is made to represent tree bark with flames covering parts of that bark at random.

In Christ,
Bob

Last edited by theophan; 09/11/10 05:51 PM.
Online Content
Oner more thought. I'd much rather have a tabernacle looke like this one than some of the plain little boxes that modern churches have in them. So many look like the urns I sell for cremation.

Bob

L
OP Offline
L

My understanding was that the Orthodox don't have statues in their churches, yet these are obviously 3 dimensional.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Lawrence
My understanding was that the Orthodox don't have statues in their churches, yet these are obviously 3 dimensional.

Lawrence,

Bas-relief iconography, although among the less common forms, is not unknown nor new. In fact, it is probably most often found among the Russians. And, other than that there are humans depicted here, is it so different than dove tabernacles or tabernacles that depict temples, as is so very common in our churches.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
AMM Offline
A
I put another example here [flickr.com].

Online Content
Wonder what the other one--partially obscured--looks like.

Question:

I've seen many of these tabernacles covered with a glass dome. Is there some reason for that? Is it to prevent tarnish of the plating? Or does it have to do with keeping the Holy Gifts protected?

Bob

In my old parish, the priest told us that it was to keep it "clean."

Online Content
Thanks. I learn something every day. smile

Bob

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.