The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Where I live, there is no permanent Eastern Catholic presence.

Therefore, it was wonderful to be able to attend the Sunday Divine Liturgy at the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church of Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre in Paris [sjlpmelkites.org] yesterday.

This church, on the left bank of the River Seine almost directly across from Notre-Dame, is a true gem: one of the oldest churches of Paris, it has been used by the Melkite community of this great city for more than a century.

The church was completely packed and the liturgy was beautifully chanted in Arabic, French and Greek by the choir and Father Maximos Fahmé.

Though no longer a young man, Father Maximos [psalmus.fr] has a beautiful singing voice, as can be heard in these two YouTube videos:

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
LC,

Thanks for posting this, particularly the link to the website - which is very impressive.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
D
D
I heard the Paschal Divine Liturgy album recorded there. It is hauntingly beautiful! A shame I can't find it for sale on the internet.

Quick question, Father Maximos is not in clerics. Since I am unaware of non-Roman practice conserning this issue, is that normal?

Hi Dostoevskian,

I have the album if you want it. PM me for details.

I think that since this was a normal rehearsal of sorts, I don't think Fr. Maximos had to be dressed in clerics.

D
D
Originally Posted by Collin Nunis
Hi Dostoevskian,

I have the album if you want it. PM me for details.

I think that since this was a normal rehearsal of sorts, I don't think Fr. Maximos had to be dressed in clerics.

For some reason, my PM is disabled.

I have the album, but I would really like to own it, if you get what I mean.

S
S
I am just back from Paris, and wish I had known about this church. When I am there, I usually go to the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral on Avenue Friedland just off Place de l'Etoile.

L
OP Offline
L
I think I first learnt about Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre from reading Father Serge's translation of Metropolitan Andrew by Father Cyril Korolevsky (Stauropegion, L'viv, 1993).

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Dostoevskian
For some reason, my PM is disabled.

We'll get that fixed within a day or so. It looks as if you were one of those occasionally overlooked in the process of enabling it once a 'newbie' has been here long enough for us to be certain of their good intentions.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
FWIW, I just returned from 2 weeks in France (1 week of that in Paris)... I, too, had the opportunity to go to a DL at St Julien's - just happened to stumble upon a weekday liturgy - came in during the Trisagion. I stayed to the end and chatted a bit in my elementary school french with one of the ladies.

I also visited Stuart's church - the Russian cathedral, however, they were closed so I was only able to snap a few exterior shots.

S
S
Inside St. Alexander Nevsky is a time machine--the place is a classic 19th century Russian Orthodox church in its architecture, iconography and appointments. It's also, sadly, rather run down and seedy--the rugs are threadbare and the walls and frescos stained from generations of guttering candles. Yet, for all that, the church is redolent with the strength and piety of the Russian Church. It has a magnificent (albeit small) male choir which sings the full repertoire of traditional Russian chant, the bishop, archimandrites and deacons all celebrate the Liturgy with full consciousness of baring the weight of the Tradition upon their backs. And, while when I first attended Liturgy there more than a decade ago, the congregation was dominated by aging White Russian expats, this time there were far more young people, often couples with children, that spoke of the renewal of the Orthodox faith in Russia, and among the substantial Russian and Ukrainian expatriate community in France.

When my daughter was in France, this is the church she attended. I'm not sure if this wil help you in your quest to find a place in which to worship.

Cathédrale Saint-Vladimir-le-Grand
186, boulevard Saint-Germain
75006 Paris
Divine Liturgie : En semaine 18h Samedi 19h vigile
Dimanche 10h30 et 16h
Tel 01 45 48 48 65
http://eglise.ukrainienne.free.fr

T
T
Apparently, this was one of the 1st Churches to ever be built in Paris. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is older than Notre Dame Cathedral itself isn't it?

I used to go to Saint Julien le Pauvre ages ago! Its beautiful inside.

However, most of the youth are either in Saint Severin or Notre Dame. Did you attend the Midnight Adoration Prayers held by les Semeurs d'Esperance??

You should go if you are in Paris!!

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind for next time I go there.

F
F
L'Eglise Saint Julien le Pauvre indeed has a lovely interior. It is of major historic importance and was connected with an excellent choir which made some good recordings for Studio S M. The recordings may still be available.

Less happily for some of us, Saint Julien le Pauvre went entirely into Arabic around the time of Vatican II. Since then, my usual ecclesastical port of call in Parish is l'Eglise Tres Sainte Trinite - the Russian Greek-Catholic Church in Paris. It's a bit tricky to find, but it's convenient to the Metro, has lovely iconography and a good choir, beautiful services, a good-sized congregation with pleasant people of various ethnic backgrounds and serves in a flexible combination of Slavonic and French. So what's not to enjoy?

Also of interest is the "French Orthodox" Eglise Saint Irenee, which uses the Gallican Liturgy in French (excellent music) and serves as the cathedral of the "Eglise Catholique Orthodoxe de France", but was in communion with nobody the last time I looked. They offer some excellent CDs and DVDs for sale.

The bookshop "La Procure" is well worth a visit; you may well encounter some of your friends there. Outstandingly good selection, including some materials in English. Prices tend to be high, I regret to say.

There's more, but that should get you started.

Fr. Serge

Last edited by Fr Serge Keleher; 11/25/10 09:14 AM.
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
L'Eglise Saint Julien le Pauvre indeed has a lovely interior. It is of major historic importance and was connected with an excellent choir which made some good recordings for Studio S M. The recordings may still be available.

Less happily for some of us, Saint Julien le Pauvre went entirely into Arabic around the time of Vatican II. Since then, my usual ecclesastical port of call in Parish is l'Eglise Tres Sainte Trinite - the Russian Greek-Catholic Church in Paris. It's a bit tricky to find, but it's convenient to the Metro, has lovely iconography and a good choir, beautiful services, a good-sized congregation with pleasant people of various ethnic backgrounds and serves in a flexible combination of Slavonic and French. So what's not to enjoy?

Also of interest is the "French Orthodox" Eglise Saint Irenee, which uses the Gallican Liturgy in French (excellent music) and serves as the cathedral of the "Eglise Catholique Orthodoxe de France", but was in communion with nobody the last time I looked. They offer some excellent CDs and DVDs for sale.

The bookshop "La Procure" is well worth a visit; you may well encounter some of your friends there. Outstandingly good selection, including some materials in English. Prices tend to be high, I regret to say.

There's more, but that should get you started.

Fr. Serge
Thanks, Fr. Serge.

Fortunately, St-Julien-le-Pauvre is no longer entirely in Arabic. It now has the liturgy in a mix of French, Greek and Arabic.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.