The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
bkovacs,

I checked them out and I have to say that St Anne's isn't bad. It could definitely use a touch of color; it's bland and not eye-catching. However, from a content standpoint, it's pretty good. The Weekly Bulletin is there, contact info, nice photo array, parish news, and a brief but detailed history. I wish there was some educational material, but that's true of more than a few parishes.

Presentation is another story. It's obviously a vibrant parish - witness the many activities highlighted at the site. There is a single educational page (at the "Traditions" link), explaining the "Ukrainian Three-Bar Cross", but it's otherwise devoid of religious educational material. Overall, though, the site is way too heavy on 'the things we do to raise money', not on the things we do to worship God.

Still, the sites exist - it's a start. I've talked before - if not in this thread, about the need to develop parish sites. Both of these have obviously got webmasters with the skills to maintain them, but the burden for content development should not necessarily rest on the webmaster (unless he/she feels competent to do so and has the materials/knowledge to provide content), nor can the priest, who has myriad responsibilities already, be the one responsible. Perhaps, the parish religious ed staff (who are usually not tasked with teaching in the summer months) might be induced to peruse their materials and offer some relevant info to a webmaster for preparation and inclusion.

Many years,

Neil

St Anne's needs work. Try viewing the website in a different browser. It only renders well in IE.

Last edited by bkovacs; 07/19/10 05:17 AM.
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by bkovacs
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
bkovacs,

I checked them out and I have to say that St Anne's isn't bad. It could definitely use a touch of color; it's bland and not eye-catching. However, from a content standpoint, it's pretty good. The Weekly Bulletin is there, contact info, nice photo array, parish news, and a brief but detailed history. I wish there was some educational material, but that's true of more than a few parishes.

St Anne's needs work. Try viewing the website in a different browser. It only renders well in IE.

The potential for such problems exists; unless one caters to IE's idiosyncrasies in website design and development, sites tend to look better in all other browsers. OTOH, adapting to IE's flaws doesn't usually have negative results in the other browsers (altho some features may be less visually pleasing in the other browsers than they might otherwise have been).

In this case, I looked at it in both FF and Chrome and didn't see any marked differences in the rendering from the IE version that I originally viewed (except photo alignment/sizing on the home page).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
I don't think that we've previously highlighted any websites of parishes belonging to the Romanian GC Eparchy of St George in Canton. I just received a link to a relatively recently created website for St Michael's in Aurora, IL - which celebrated its 100th anniversary last year.

St Michael Byzantine Romanian Greek-Catholic Church [stmichaelromanianchurch.org]

There is not anything much in the way of educational material as yet, but the site shows much promise. I was very impressed by a message in the Newsletter by the parish council chairperson on the need for communication and the historical photos and text are very nicely done. It looks to have a beautiful iconostasis.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
A beautiful website, with some nice educational material

St Michael ACROD in St Clair [stmichaelstclair.org]

Many years,

Neil

We have been getting a lot of hits on our website lately.

Sts Peter and Paul, Warren Ohio [sppbyzantinecatholic.org]

stivvy,

I have been looking it at a lot lately to see what is happening with Fr. Andrew as Pastor.

Father Andrew has been keeping our bellies full with his cooking talents smile

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
stivvy,

Very nice. There aren't any exterior photos of the church tho - if someone were to e-mail one to ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com, for use on the directory entry, it would be great (hint, hint).

Many years,

Neil

Finally!. Presentation of Our Lord UGCC in Lansdale PA gets a new website. And it looks great!.

http://www.presentationukrainiancc.com/

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by bkovacs
Finally!. Presentation of Our Lord UGCC in Lansdale PA gets a new website. And it looks great!.

http://www.presentationukrainiancc.com/

Very nice. If anyone is in touch w/ Father or knows the webmaster, please point out that they do need to do something with the banner, as it overhangs relevant info on several of the pages (unless the problem lies with my PC/Monitor/Browser - which is not beyond the realm of possibility - I'd appreciate hearing whether others see the same issue).

Many years,

Neil

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
The website of St Marina's Coptic Orthodox Church [stmarina.org] in Irvine, CA, the parish of Father Kyrillos, a forum member. Very nicely done and with some excellent resources from a Church that we aren't as familiar with as we might be.

Many years,

Neil

S
S
Our parish has a new, improved website: http://stbasilsinirving.org/
There are several pix of parishioners, scenes from liturgical celebrations, our icons as well as the exterior and interior of our temple.

Wonderful!

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Very nice sielos! If you get an opportunity to take a photo of the exterior, I could really use a good one to replace the less than great one which I now have on our online Directory. It can be e-mailed to me at ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Many years,

Neil

Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Our parish has a new, improved website: http://stbasilsinirving.org/
There are several pix of parishioners, scenes from liturgical celebrations, our icons as well as the exterior and interior of our temple.

I attended Third Hour and Divine Liturgy at this parish last month when I was in the area. It is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. Unassuming in the Ukrainian wooden church style on the outside, it is breathtaking on the inside. I hope there will soon be more pictures on the website. I forgot my camera that day and no one believes me when I tell them how beautiful it is.

If you are anywhere within a day's drive of this church (or even more), it would be worth the trip to attend Divine Liturgy, see the amazing icons and hand-painted walls and ceilings, hear the beautiful singing, and kiss Father Daniel's hand, a wonderful priest by all accounts. I cried with joy several times during the Liturgy - this Church is really amazing.

Everyone was so kind and welcoming. I wish I were closer. I even considered moving to Dallas just so I could go to this Church! smile

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.