The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

A
A
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
I thought that this man was excommunicated by Archbishop Husar, but perhaps I am wrong.

P
P
The group was excommunicated by Archbishop Husar (excommunication supported by Rome). See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Orthodox_Greek_Catholic_Church

The official website of this schismatic group:

http://uogcc.org.ua/en/

This is a sad and unfortunate development. Let us pray for their repentance.

A
AMM Offline
A
Sometimes groups of the faithful have to stand up for what they believe in.

C
C
They really shouldn't use the term "Orthodox" in their English title (even if they don't capitalize it) since they are not even trying to be Orthodox. "Ukrainian Right-Believing Greek Catholic Church" would probably be a better translation.

Dn. David

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Chtec
They really shouldn't use the term "Orthodox" in their English title (even if they don't capitalize it) since they are not even trying to be Orthodox. "Ukrainian Right-Believing Greek Catholic Church" would probably be a better translation.

Dn. David

Did anyone else try to view their videos? To be polite, I thought that they were weird - neither Catholic - Eastern or Western, nor Orthodox.

When you consider the range of how Ukrainian Greek Catholics view the externals of their Church you find an incredible span. It can range from St. Elias in Ontario to these folks and beyond.

J
J
This sounds like a Ukrainian version of the SSPX? If it is in due time the excommunication will be lifted and they will spend their time spouting "tradition Catholic" slander while confusing the world and the faithful.

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally Posted by DMD
Did anyone else try to view their videos? To be polite, I thought that they were weird - neither Catholic - Eastern or Western, nor Orthodox.

They are weird, but there's a lot of weird in the RCC too. It seems like you can get away with a lot of weird (including ignoring church teaching) if you don't challenge the hierarchy. That it would seem led to their excommunication.

R
R
Praised be Jesus Christ!
Yes, they are somewhat strange in some of their views, but God bless them for being man enough to stand up against the apostasy/religious indifference which the Vatican has promoted many times, if not in words, in actions-the worst being allowing pagans to worship their deities in Catholic Churches in Assisi under Pope John Paul II.I saw it, it happened.They are basically saying the same thing as the SSPX, ROCOR, the Synod in Resistance, etc...Fr. Seraphim Rose was right about the modern hierarchs falling to the spirit of the world, as Metropolitan Sergius capitulated to the Soviets.

Originally Posted by JimG
This sounds like a Ukrainian version of the SSPX? If it is in due time the excommunication will be lifted and they will spend their time spouting "tradition Catholic" slander while confusing the world and the faithful.

It is the Ukrainian version of the SSPX. The go far to accept that Latinizations are legit and binding on Eastern Catholics.

A
AMM Offline
A
This is the whole problem with the top down approach. If these people feel that Latinizations are part of their traditions and they've come to accept them, who is to tell them or force them in to accepting they aren't? Wouldn't that conceivably take generations of slow and gradual change?

You can't push the reset button on people, or they will react.

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by AMM
This is the whole problem with the top down approach. If these people feel that Latinizations are part of their traditions and they've come to accept them, who is to tell them or force them in to accepting they aren't? Wouldn't that conceivably take generations of slow and gradual change?

You can't push the reset button on people, or they will react.

Indeed, that was why the approach that Archbishop, later Patriarch Athenagoras of thrice blessed, saintly memory wisely urged the Phanar to adopt when receiving Father, later Metropolitan Orestes of thrice-blessed, saintly memory and the faithful of what became ACROD differed dramatically from the approach used in the past when receiving converts from Eastern Catholicism by other Orthodox jurisdictions.

Changes came gradually over decades and a distinction between what was legitimately 'Orthodox' within the 'Ruthenian' tradition and what was a really a western import became better understood within ACROD and the Orthodox Church as a whole. Many scoffed at the Greeks for taking this approach, but in the long run I believe that it has proven to be the correct path.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
While I agree wholeheartedly with my friend and brother, David, as regards the wisdom of the approach taken when what is now ACROD was received into Holy Orthodoxy, I can't hold out much hope that taking anything other than a hard-line approach with this group will work.

Like the Society of St Josaphat (the SSPX group), these folk are another collection of latinizers, the only real difference being that they originate from within as opposed to without the UGCC.

They would create some hybrid ecclesial phenomena initially neither Eastern nor Western, but - in the end - it can almost be guaranteed that there would be few, if any, remaining vestiges of Byzantine spirituality or praxis. If they want to be Latin, have at it - ask for a transfer of enrollment and go. But, don't try to undermine our Churches on the basis that what has transpired through decades of suppression constitutes some new, better, entity and defend it as organic development.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
AMM Offline
A
Why does it have to be all or nothing?

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
While I agree wholeheartedly with my friend and brother, David, as regards the wisdom of the approach taken when what is now ACROD was received into Holy Orthodoxy, I can't hold out much hope that taking anything other than a hard-line approach with this group will work.

Like the Society of St Josaphat (the SSPX group), these folk are another collection of latinizers, the only real difference being that they originate from within as opposed to without the UGCC.

They would create some hybrid ecclesial phenomena initially neither Eastern nor Western, but - in the end - it can almost be guaranteed that there would be few, if any, remaining vestiges of Byzantine spirituality or praxis. If they want to be Latin, have at it - ask for a transfer of enrollment and go. But, don't try to undermine our Churches on the basis that what has transpired through decades of suppression constitutes some new, better, entity and defend it as organic development.

Many years,

Neil

Welcome back!

I just wanted to clarify that I was only offering an opinion on the comment: 'You can't push the reset button on people, or they will react.'

I don't see this group, with whatever support they may or may not have being received and assimilated as they are. They almost appeared to be mimicking TV evangelist modes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.