The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
Actually, it is not quite correct to say that the election of an Eastern Catholic patriarch is "confirmed." Rather, a newly elected Eastern Catholic patriarch asks for and receives "ecclesiastical communion" from the Pope. CCEO can. 76 § 2. As you can see from the example of the Syrian Catholic Patriarch, this usually happens within days. In the case of the new Maronite Patriarch, it may take until the weekend since Pope Benedict XVI is on retreat until Saturday.

S
S
Egads! Is this the first clean-shaven Eastern Catholic patriarch in history perhaps?

A
A
Many years to Patriarch Bechara Rai!

Originally Posted by SamB
Egads! Is this the first clean-shaven Eastern Catholic patriarch in history perhaps?

The previous Chaldean Patriarch Mar Raphael I Bidawid was clean-shaven too - http://www.aina.org/images/raphael2.jpg

L
L
Catholic News Service has a very good article about the new patriarch here: "Maronites elect patriarch expected to unite Catholics, speak truth." [catholicnews.com]

h/t Luke Coppen [catholicherald.co.uk]

A
A
Originally Posted by Peter J
BTW, who was the last Catholic patriarch to be elected, other than Benedict, and what year was that?
The Syrian Patriarch Ignace Joseph Younan, elected on Jan 20, 2009, confirmed on Jan 22, 2009

Thanks. I guess my qualifier "other than Benedict" wasn't necessary after all.

Follow-up question: what does it mean to say that the election was "confirmed"?

Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Actually, it is not quite correct to say that the election of an Eastern Catholic patriarch is "confirmed." Rather, a newly elected Eastern Catholic patriarch asks for and receives "ecclesiastical communion" from the Pope. CCEO can. 76 § 2. As you can see from the example of the Syrian Catholic Patriarch, this usually happens within days. In the case of the new Maronite Patriarch, it may take until the weekend since Pope Benedict XVI is on retreat until Saturday.

As I previously noted, newly elected Eastern Catholic Patriarchs need no confirmation from the Pope.

In the case of the election of the Syrian Catholic Patriarch, the Synod of Bishops was convoked and held in Rome at the Vatican.

Upon his election on January 20, 2009, he immediately requested ecclesiastical communion from Pope Benedict XVI, who granted it on January 22, 2009 in writing, accompanied with his congratulations!

Amado

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Catholic News Service has a very good article about the new patriarch here: "Maronites elect patriarch expected to unite Catholics, speak truth." [catholicnews.com]

It will be interesting to see whether he can or tries to unite the 2 political factions among the faithful of his Church - not a spiritual issue, but a very contentious one among the Maronites presently, both in the Old Country and among recent immigrants from there.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
M
M
Over the past couple days, I've seen a number of interviews (both broadcast and in print) with "people in the street" and there is a common theme: inevitably, Mar Bishara is described as one who, although it may not be to certain people's taste, has always "spoken the truth" and, from my experience, that is quite true. smile

It was interesting that he had a closed-door tête-à-tête for about half an hour yesterday with the "leader" of the Orange faction, from which (uncharacteristically for the Maronites wink ) not one word leaked! Nor was there a published post-meeting photo (at least not one that I've seen).

Now we have to wait to see the shape of the new Patriarchial Curia. That will, I think, be very telling.

M
M
In case anyone is interested, Mar Beshara will, as noted earlier, be formally enthroned 25 March. This will be at 10h30 (Beirut standard time), 04h30 EDT. I'm under the impression that the ceremony will be broadcast on Télé-Lumière-Noursat, but their website seems to be experiencing the proverbial "technical difficulties," so I've been unable to verify.

M
M
FYI, it looks like I was mistaken about the timing. It will be at 17h00 local. According to what was broadcast on Télé-Lumière-Noursat, it will be carried live starting at 12n00 EDT.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
malphono,

Thanks for the broadcast data - hopefully, someone will pick up Tele-Lumiere's feed.

Sam,

Off-topic, but just noticed that you posted to the thread. First time we've heard from you in a long while. Good to see and hope you're well, my Melkite brother.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
L
L
It was announced today [press.catholica.va] that Pope Benedict XVI has granted ecclesiastical communion to Patriarch Béchara Boutros Raï in a letter dated March 24, 2011.

For those who read French, here is the text [press.catholica.va] of the Pope's letter.

A
A
Video from the inauguration ceremony:

Videos of the Patriarchal speech:

Interesting Patriarch Rai was wearing red hood:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04crf2wb5Tfga/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d6P0U72nU43I/x610.jpg

A
A

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.