The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/research/_pdf/poa-2008.pdf

Page 46 of the document.

I was surprised at the figures as there are parishes with more people than some of these Eparchies. One thing is for sure some groups have lost lots of people over the years.

cool

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Paul,

I can't open it. Should that extra space be there? (I'm not yet awake enough to take it out and try - or else I'm just lazy this morning biggrin )

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/research/_pdf/poa-2008.pdf

Just clicked on the first link and it opened ofr me. Strange!

The Doc is called:
The People of Australia Statistics from the 2006 Census.

Last edited by Pavel Ivanovich; 05/23/11 10:59 AM.
S
S
Interesting. Where did all the Melkite and Ukrainian Greek Catholics go? Did they leave Australia, or did they convert, or just drop out? Meanwhile, the Eastern Orthodox are essentially flat, while the Oriental Orthodox have grown by nearly 12%.

OP Offline
http://www.omi.wa.gov.au/components%5CWAPeople2006%5CWA%5CTable_2-12.pdf

This is the link for the same chart but for my state of Western Australia (1 million Sq Miles Approx). Not much better. We have have old congregations and we have people who have decided that it is easier to got to Mass in their own suburb, than to cross the city to the Liturgy. All along there have been some who moved off to join the Protestants. Sadly more recent ones who have gone down this path have used their language skills to help bring the reformed churches to Ukraine.

cool

Last edited by Pavel Ivanovich; 05/23/11 01:40 PM.
Well, it was not only until recently that Eastern Catholics listed themselves according to their rite or their Church. Prior to that, a lot of Melkites listed themselves as "Catholic", whereas a lot of Antiochian Orthodox listed themselves as "Greek Orthodox".

In the case of Western Australia, there are a lot who go to the local Latin parish. We only see them on special occasions and not every Sunday.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.