The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Irenaeus23, Al Masihi, Seavila777, MZbor, Lisa Korovainytsia
5563 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Fr. Al, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 356 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,609
Posts411,057
Members5,563
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a Host Family #366354
07/05/11 03:43 PM
07/05/11 03:43 PM
Virginia!
Administrator Offline OP

John
Administrator  Offline OP

John

Virginia!
The following e-mail was received at the website:

My name is James Kerr. I am a semi-retired teacher and I live in Troy, Illinois (Madison County.) For about ten years I have been working as a volunteer with American Councils for International Education, a non governmental organization in Washington, DC that places students who are selected in US Department of State programs These students spend a school year in a community in the United States as part of the State Dept. program. I have worked as a local coordinator in this program, visiting the students once a month at their high schools, making sure they are doing well, and working with their host families if there are issues of concern. This is NOT an exchange program for students whose families can afford to send them for a year abroad. These students are here as guests of the US Dept. of State and have qualified to be selected for their respective scholarships.

All of the students in this program are required to score well on an aptitude test, an English language test, and they have advanced through three rounds of interviews before being selected. All students come with full health insurance and all receive a monthly stipend to help with incidental expenses from the Dept. of State.

Each host family must provide a safe and English speaking environment, a place to sleep, meals and snacks for all meals taken by the family, a place to study, and transportation to and from school and school activities if necessary. School bus transportation is fine.

I am presently trying to place a girl from Serbia who is a Greek Catholic. I thought perhaps your diocese has a listserve or maybe individual parishes have listserves that my information could be transmitted to members. If a host family contacts me, even though I am in Illinois, I will have my agency search for a coordinator in their area who can help them get more information. I would hate to see her lose the scholarships she has earned for lack of a host family and host

I would appreciate interest from couples with children, couples without children, seniors, empty nesters, or singles. I have done placements with all of the above and the placements changed the lives of everyone concerned. I would be happy to provide more information to any members of your congregation who might be interested. Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,
James E. Kerr
jekerr@charter.net

Re: Looking for a Host Family [Re: Administrator] #366460
07/06/11 08:36 PM
07/06/11 08:36 PM
Las Vegas, NV USA
haydukovich Offline
haydukovich  Offline

Las Vegas, NV USA
My name is John Haydukovich ... I am Serbian American

I go to an Italo Greek Catholic church

I can also take her to a Serbian Orthodox Church

I live in Saint George Utah
Wife is elizabeth Son is 7 Anthony

Re: Looking for a Host Family [Re: Administrator] #366470
07/07/11 01:10 AM
07/07/11 01:10 AM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline
Global Moderator
Irish Melkite  Offline
Global Moderator
I

Massachusetts
John,

As far as I know, Mr. Kerr - who sent the email to the forum administrator - isn't a member of the forum, so he's unlikely to see your reply.

However, I suspect that he would be very interested in hearing from you.

I would suggest that you e-mail him directly at jekerr@charter.net to provide him your details and get more information. The fact that you are a Serbian American and that you attend Our Lady of Wisdom Italo-Greek Church in Las Vegas sounds as though you and your family would be a great match for the situation he describes.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.