The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
A devout RC lady I know today gave me a leaflet promoting devotion to the Most Holy Theotokos under the title of "Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces". An icon of the Panagia is involved in this devotion. The leaflet had some IMO somewhat strange things to say about this devotion and its satellite religious practices. I had never heard of this before. I'd be interested in what forum members may have to say after visiting http://www.marysway.net/

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 07/15/11 03:04 AM. Reason: typo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I got a headache just skimming the site ...

The world's quickest slide show, apparently designed to keep anyone not quick enough to hold down a cursor button on a numberfrom reading the prattle, such as

"On this first blessing, the Pope knew that his hand was photographed too low. At the end of this first blessing, the Pope blessed the Icon again and this photo was retaken. The Pope wanted the world to see a perfect photo of his Papal Blessing of this unique Icon: the only Icon of "Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces" in the world."

I can hear his words now ... "Oh no, my hand is too low."

They've registered "(R)" 'Miraculous Icon' as a trademark? Love to see them defend that one in a trademark action at law! (Where's a rollseye emoticon when you need one?)

Let's see: Josyp Terelya, Medjugorje visionaries, Vladyka Roman (Danylak) ... enough said on that grouping of personages

"Exactly 73 days later (there are 73 Books in the Bible)," - correlation between those 2 facts is eminently clear to me, not sure about the rest of you ...

This following reads to me like one of those recitations (I forget the precise term for them) of the supposed correlations between the deaths of Kennedy and Lincoln - or any of the other similar 'believe it or not' lists intended to awe readers with the remarkable juxtaposition of events that prove something (tho I'm never sure precisely what).

"In retrospect, many spiritually significant dates and events are linked to the creation of Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces Miraculous Icon. For example, on “the Feast Day of the Motherhood of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, Mary’s Way Apostolate was established. Two days later, on October 13th, 1996 on “the Anniversary of The Great Miracle of the Sun in Fatima”, Josyp Terelya from the Ukraine, one of the world’s finest icon painters (writers), mystic, and world renowned Marian visionary, offered to paint the Icon – most surprisingly, during a Saint Louis de Montfort Religious Conference. On November 13 and on December 13, through inspiration, vitally important additions were made to the Icon. The Icon was completed on “Christmas Day” 1996 – “as Mary’s Gift to the entire world” given to everyone on the 2,000th Birthday of Jesus! (There is a 4 year error in our calendars. It occurred when our present “Gregorian Calendar” was revised in the year 1582 from “The Julian Calendar”.)

On the feast day of “Mary the Mother God”, January 1st, 1997, the Icon was blessed by Bishop Danylak in the Ukrainian Catholic Rite, in Canada. On the 13th of January all the money needed to pay for the Icon was unexpectedly loaned to us. On the 13th of February, the Icon was Express Mailed from Canada to the United States. The large box containing the original Miraculous Icon was dated and time stamped (in military time), crossing the border into the United States exactly on the first 13th minute of Saint Valentine’s Day, “00.13”-again for “Our Lady of Fatima.” The Icon arrived at “Mary’s Way” on Saint Valentine’s Day “The Feast Day of Love” – as a sign of Mary’s love for all! This unique Icon is spiritually linked to “Our Lady of Fatima” and to “Our Lady of Medjugorje”.

Throughout the last 13 years, the unworthy caretaker of The Miraculous Icon® “Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces” was given over 1000 visible signs of the number 13, assuring and guiding him, confirming how extremely important “Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces” is to everyone throughout the world."

(Rumor has it that the icon will soon be renamed Our Lady of 13.)

I must admit to being overwhelmed by the 12-Way All-Protecting Scapular. I imagined and was disappointed to find that it was not actually a dodecagon or duodecagon (frankly, after the cataloguing of the '13s' I was more expecting a treiskidecagon).

Be sure to read the fascinating text of the Inside View of Brochure [marysway.net]. Even its excesses are excessive.

I could (and would) go on, but I'm told that cynicism is unbecoming in one who firmly believes that an angel opened the wall of 'agia Sophia to allow the presbyters to pass through with the Holy Mysteries and will do so again when the day comes that the holy temple will be restored to its sacred purpose and the presbyters return to resume the Unfinished Liturgy.

To answer the query that sielos posed
I'd be interested in what forum members may have to say
... Not much worth repeating. The site reminds me of Bayside and myriad other such sites - rife with hyperbole, abounding with superlatives (one more 'many', 'very' or 'most' and I'd have screamed), rampant with text that promotes or verges on promoting superstition, embarressed that it contains sufficient references to matters Eastern that some readers will associate it with Eastern Catholicism, ...

THe image itself is 'a pretty picture'; it's not an icon.

Many years,

Neil (with apologies to those who find this site or its subject spiritually enriching; although I ordinarily try to refrain from comments that disparage whatever one might find assists them in their spiritual journey, this particular presentation is just too much)

PS -
Embracing this exquisite most treasured life-like Icon is the only religiously designed, biblically detailed, 3-dimensional Iconic Picture Frame in the world. The "Waves and Rays of Graces Iconic Picture Frame"

- if anyone can explain what constitutes a 'religiously designed, biblically detailed, iconic picture frame', I'd be most appreciative ... the 'waves and rays of graces', huh?

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
Lord have mercy !

J
J
There is a serious movement with in the Roman Catholic Church, which I believe to be heretical, that believes that Mary is co-redemptorix with Jesus. I was active for a number of years in a very well known lay movement that had a number of "for our eyes only" writings that basically held the position that Mary was on par with Jesus in facilitating the salvation of mankind. This appears to be a very poor example of the same thing.

S
OP Offline
S
It kinda weirded me out. Sometimes certain aspects of Roman Church-approved messages and visions of Mary come across as odd-ball and/or peevish.
Oh well.

G
G
The icon is simply a copy of the ancient icon of the Theotokos, Salus Populi Romani [en.wikipedia.org] with added lettering.

Who is the "Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church conservative branch" shown kneeling beside the icon?

J
JDC Offline
J
Obviously this is idiotic nonsense, but you have to understand how people get to this. Ordinary folk know that there are mystical and supernatural elements to existence, and when church leadership belittle and disbelieve these things, people are left to fend for themselves, and since some people are stupid, some people go in for stupid things.

Often in this do-it-yourself piety, they cling, even excessively, to the pope as the rock he is, and supplement him by tossing in a little Eastern-ish-ness, since they see that the East hasn't fallen for the same errors that so afflict the West.

Abandoned sheep wander. This isn't so hard to understand, or am I mistaken that a significant portion of the membership here were born into Western Christianity, but had to leave looking for spiritual nourishment? Some scattered sheep will be devoured. Be thankful you landed where you did and that God gave you the grace of inteligence enough to keep from deception.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by griego catolico
Who is the "Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church conservative branch" shown kneeling beside the icon?

GC,

Thanks for bringing up that question. I saw that photo after I had posted and almost went back and added to my comments, but the hour got the better of me. I did do a bit of research and wasn't able to find out any info on His Conservativeness or his Branch, but I'm still looking.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
D
D
There are certainly, in practice, times when Mary seems like a secondary savior for lay RC's. IMO there's too much emphasis on her in the RC.

G
G
Originally Posted by Dave in McKinney
There are certainly, in practice, times when Mary seems like a secondary savior for lay RC's. IMO there's too much emphasis on her in the RC.
In fairness to the RC, the same has been said about the EO and the EC. After all, RC don't say, "Most Holy Theotokos save us" as the EO and EC do. Our Protestant brethren would certainly think we are equating Mary with Jesus when they hear that invocation.

The title "Mediatrix of All Graces" and "Co-Redemptrix" has been a part of RC devotional language for decades before this movement began. It shouldn't be a problem when understood in its proper context. St. Irenaeus for example described the Theotokos as "Cause of our Salvation", which can be misunderstood as well if not explained correctly.

T
T
Is this 12-way scapular something like a Swiss Army knife?

Perhaps a Swiss Guards Army knife? laugh

I think I'll wait for the new, improved, 13-way scapular.

Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Throughout the last 13 years, the unworthy caretaker of The Miraculous Icon® “Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces” was given over 1000 visible signs of the number 13, assuring and guiding him, confirming how extremely important “Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces” is to everyone throughout the world."

I must admit to being overwhelmed by the 12-Way All-Protecting Scapular. I imagined and was disappointed to find that it was not actually a dodecagon or duodecagon (frankly, after the cataloguing of the '13s' I was more expecting a treiskidecagon).

D
D
Sielos,
you didn't happen to get it from someone that goes to Mater Dei did you?

G
G
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite

Many may not know this but there is la Virgen de los Treinta y Tres/Our Lady of the 33 who is patroness of Uruguay: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgen_de_los_Treinta_y_Tres

E
E
Please ring down the curtain on this numerology rubbish!

S
OP Offline
S
No, I got it from a lady who attends St. Joseph's RC parish in Richardson.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.