The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#367321 07/28/11 10:40 PM
M
MengTzu Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum. I have a few questions about the Jesus Prayer.

1) Can a Latin Church Catholic practice it?

It would be great if the Eastern Catholic forummers can help me out with the the following questions:

2) What is the proper way to practice it?

3) Can I incorporate it with my breathing? I have read about this practice and find it very beautiful - you're invoking the mercy of Jesus at every breath.

4) Can I practice it without getting involved in anyway with Hesychasm?

MengTzu #367322 07/29/11 01:42 AM
B
B
I would recommend a couple of books to you, both available in paperback. I think Amazon probably has one of them. I believe the first one I may have bought from Light & Life.

1.) The Way of a Pilgrim -I have the translation by Olga Savin with a foreword by Fr. Thomas Hopko.

2.) On the Prayer of Jesus by Ignatius Brianchaninov

Both are excellent and will answer many of your questions.

MengTzu #367325 07/29/11 04:11 AM
1) Can a Latin Church Catholic practice it?

Yes, with the Blessing of ones Spiritual Father (or a Spiritual mother) who has knowledge of the prayer and Hesychasm. So get His blessing and direction.

2) What is the proper way to practice it?

Ask your Spiritual Father.

3) Can I incorporate it with my breathing? I have read about this practice and find it very beautiful - you're invoking the mercy of Jesus at every breath.

That is an advanced practice, which one should not under take without the blessing of ones Spiritual Father

4) Can I practice it without getting involved in anyway with Hesychasm?

No. They go part and parcel.

http://easterncatholicspiritualrene...sychasm-in-teaching-of-metropolitan.html

The Jesus is prayer is not a centering prayer.

http://easterncatholicspiritualrenewal.blogspot.com/2010/08/jesus-prayer-vs-centering-prayer.html

It is a mystery that should only be undertaken with the blessing of ones Spiritual Father. I hope you see the overall theme of my response- don't start the prayer without a blessing for ones Spiritual Father. This is not to discourage but to pray this powerful Eastern Prayer one needs to be under good spiritual direction or there is the possibility of the prayer not being for our profit but to the contrary it could harm us.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 07/29/11 04:21 AM.
MengTzu #367337 07/29/11 04:46 PM
P
P
It is actually not absolutely necessary to have a spiritual father or mother in order to practice the Jesus Prayer. St. Ignatius Brianchinanov (spelling?) in his wonderful little work on the Jesus Prayer mentions that, due to a lack of good spiritual guides in his day, one may "replace" a spiritual guide with extensive spiritual reading. I'd recommend checking out the great Russian Fathers, particularly the above mentioned Ignatius, as well as St. Theophan the Reclude and St. Seraphim of Sarov.

Roman Catholics may most certainly practice the Jesus Prayer according to their own traditions since devotion to the Holy Name is not something limited to the East or Orient.

The key is focusing one's attention on the prayer with "the mind in the heart" as St. Theophan said. This is very difficult for some, very easy for others. For some prayer with the mind in the heart comes quickly, for others it takes years, and for others still they never quite get there despite intense struggle. Ultimately it is a gift.

As to postures, breathing techniques and other physical aids, the Fathers are universal in discouraging this unless one has an experienced guide. Sts. Ignatius and Theophan seemed particularly against this tradition altogether. Again, the main thing is prayer with the mind in the heart. This is the main reason I do NOT recommend the Way of the Pilgrim. The author of the book focuses quite a bit on the breathing techniques and other physical/mental techniques. These things can be, and in fact are quite dangerous if one doesn't have an experienced guide.

If you can, find a copy of "The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology". It is a wonderful little book consisting of quotes from a good number of Fathers, but mostly from St. Theophan. It is the best introduction to the Jesus Prayer and Eastern Spirituality that you will find anywhere.

And if you would like a prayer rope, I make and sell them. Just send me an e-mail at phillip.rolfes@gmail.com

ICXC + NIKA,
Phillip

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.