The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#367598 08/06/11 05:44 PM
F
OP Offline
F
PATRIARCH SVIATOSLAV SERVES IN LONDON

For about six years, Bishop Hlib has been Apostolic Administrator of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Exarchate in England. Recently, on the recommendation of the Holy Synod of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Hierarchs, Pope Benedict XVI, elevated Bishop Hlib to the rank of full Apostolic Exarch in Britain. On Tuesday, 2 August, the feast of the Holy Prophet Elias, His Beatitude Patriarch of Kyiv-Halych And All Rus, enthroned Bishop Hlib and served Pontifical Divine Liturgy, with the concelebration of Bishop Hlib, Bishop Michael of Paris, Bishop Peter of Munich, the Papal Nuncio, and some half-dozen Roman Catholic bishops, and about eight Priests, including Father Taras Lonchyna (Bishop Hlib’s brother, who had come from the USA) and Father Archimandrite Serge of Dublin, representing the Greek-Catholics in Ireland. As a pledge of obedience, each Greek-Catholic priest approached Bishop Hlib for an individual blessing. Since it was a working day, the cathedral was rather more than 2/3 filled with the faithful.

The Patriarch serves with great beauty and magnificence, and strict accordance with the liturgical tradition. For those who can remember the troubled years at the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic cathedral in London, the Patriarchal Liturgy seemed like a miracle. The choir sang wonderfully. The hierarchs and clergy all commemorated the Patriarch, and while nobody actually grinned at these commemorations, the eyes of hierarchs and clergy were twinkling.

Surprisingly, the Patriarch, hierarchs and clergy used considerable English in the Divine Liturgy, perhaps for the benefit of the Latin hierarchs who were present.

At the end of the Divine Liturgy the Patriarch distributed the Antidoron and the choir sang the “Hymn for the Patriarch”; the clergy joined in happily. The Nuncio spoke briefly, offering congratulations and good wishes, both to the Patriarch and to Bishop Hlib.

After the service and time to unvest, there was a reception and buffet luncheon in the cathedral hall.

Some of the out-of town guests stayed the night. On the Wednesday Bishop Hlib brought the Patriarch to visit several parishes in England.

S
S
No pictures? No video?

C
C
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
...and the choir sang the “Hymn for the Patriarch”

What is this hymn?

Dn. David

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thank you, Father Serge.

(Any chance that we'll see you reporting about being present at the enthronement of Bishop Nicholas here in Massachusetts? If so, either email or PM me some arrival info.)

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
OP Offline
F
Alas, I cannot come to America - arthritis is enough of a headache going to London.

The "Hymn for the Patriarch" was written by the late Mitred Archpriest Marian Butrynsky, and became immensely popular in England among Ukrainian Greek-Catholics; it is sung at the end of the Divine Liturgy and upset the late Bishop Augustine more than words can describe.

Fr Serge

S
S
A bunch of us could get together and buy you an upgrade to business class. Believe me, it makes a difference.

F
OP Offline
F
Certainly business class makes a difference - being able to stretch out my legs and be able to stretch out the rest of myself is fantastic (I once managed to promote myself a business class round trip from Dublin to Australia to give a couple of lectures).

I have often asked why they will not give unsold business class tickets to those certified by a physician to need such service. I've never had a serious answer.

Fr. Serge

S
S
The USG allows its employees to fly business class on any flights longer than seven hours. When I can, I write business class into my contracts for long-distance flights, and when I can't, I spend some of those frequent flyer miles to upgrade. Some day, I hope to be able to fly first class, just once.

But I was serious--I bet a lot of us would, if given sufficient notice, be willing to buy you an upgrade--either with cash or with miles--so you can come here.

John
John
Originally Posted by StuartK
But I was serious--I bet a lot of us would, if given sufficient notice, be willing to buy you an upgrade--either with cash or with miles--so you can come here.
Stuart is quite correct. I'd help, either with $ or miles.

F
OP Offline
F
And I'm serious - give me an upgrade to business class or first class (I can dream, can't I?) and if the date fits, I'll see you there. Where and when is Bishop Nicholas to be enthroned?

Fr. Serge

S
S
I've been wondering myself. The interregnum has lasted more than a month, now. We commemorate Patriarch Gregorios, but no archbishop.

G
G
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
Where and when is Bishop Nicholas to be enthroned?

Here is the info:

Enthronement of Bishop Nicholas Will Take Place on 23 August

His Grace, Bishop Nicholas J. Samra, will be enthroned as the fifth Eparchial Bishop of the Diocese of Newton and the sixth Bishop of the Melkite Catholics in the USA at 2 pm on Tuesday 23 August during the celebration of the Divine Liturgy at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Annunciation in West Roxbury, Massachusetts (a suburb of Boston). The former Eparch of Newton, Archbishop Cyril S. Bustros, now Metropolitan of Beirut, will be the installing bishop, in the presence of Archbishop Pietro Sambi, Apostolic Nuncio (Vatican Ambassador) to the United States [note: His Excellency fell asleep in Lord on July 27]... All the Melkite faithful are invited to the Enthronement and to the Reception in the Cathedral Center. The cost for the reception will be $60... Bishop Nicholas has asked all the priests of the Diocese to come to the ceremonies and to stay until the following day for a meeting at which our new Bishop will outline his vision and plans for our American Melkite Church...

Also...

New Bishop Outlines His Vision for our Church at Convention

At the recent 47th National Melkite Convention in Newport Beach, our new Eparch, Bishop Nicholas Samra, gave a talk in which he outlined some aspects of his vision for our Melkite Church in the USA. The four main categories into which his ideas fall could be named as follows: Church Identity, Priests, Stewardship, and Cooperation with Other Churches. He told us that the greatest need of our Church is to build up its spiritual identity and to get away from seeing itself as an “Arab Church” or an “ethnic club.” By praying, worshipping, and studying, we can properly value our heritage and traditions and still be a Church that is alive and open to all people who want to come to Jesus Christ. We can no longer rely on bringing priests from the Middle East to serve in our American Church. We need to raise up men from our own families and our own communities to serve our people as priests. We will look forward to ordaining properly qualified and trained married men as priests. As our Eparch, Bishop Samra will visit each parish to explain stewardship and to encourage all our people to give back to God with generosity from the time, talent, and treasure God has given us. If we do not support our parishes in every way, we will not have churches to attend. Finally, Bishop Nicholas foresees greater cooperation with other Churches for education, worship, social projects, and so on.

Last edited by griego catolico; 08/08/11 03:21 AM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thanks GC. My apologies - I thought I had posted that info previously.

I've not yet heard anything as to who will represent the Vatican in light of the recent repose of the Apostolic Nuncio.

Father Exarch Joe Haggar (St Basil's, Providence) has been elected as Administrator of the Eparchy, to serve as such until the enthronement.

Archbishop Cyril has already been enthroned in his new See and I think that Bishop Issam has, as well.

Archimandrite Robert will be ordained to the episcopate in the Middle East (Lebanon, I believe) in Sept. I have the date somewhere. I haven't yet heard when he will be enthroned in Australia.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
OP Offline
F
Hmm. I must check and see what can be booked in business class to get me there in good time for the celebration in the cathedral. This time of year, reservations are tight.

Fr. Serge

F
OP Offline
F
Please be seated - I nearly fainted. Aer Lingus wants a mere 3,176.06 euros for the round-trip business class fare from Dublin to Boston and return.

What time is the installation Divine Liturgy in Boston?

Fr. Serge

Last edited by Fr Serge Keleher; 08/08/11 04:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.