The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368899 09/06/11 05:39 PM
P
PJT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been reading this forum on-and-off for years now. I just joined, but still don't think I have anything of interest to add to the conversations yet.

Although my maternal grandmother was Ruthenian, I grew up Roman. Luckily, as a teenager, I was blessed with the spiritual direction of a holy Melkite deacon and bi-ritual Jesuit, both of whom have fallen asleep in the Lord. I have a deep love for the Byzantine traditions, and find myself consistently looking toward the Byzantine tradition for formation.

I have attended Divine Liturgy at the Monastery of the Holy Cross in DC for years. However, it is small, and there aren't many children there for my young kids to meet. I live between Baltimore and DC, so I'm slowly investigating other eastern churches nearby.

Anyway, I don't really have a question. I don't know how long I'll remain the perpetual lurker, but I thank all of the knowledgable participents on this forum for their words.

PJT #368914 09/06/11 11:50 PM
Online Content
PJT:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum. I invite you to take a look at the post in this section titled "Who We are." Then jump right in when the Spirit moves you.

Check out the Directory of parishes associated with this forum. Our brother, Irish Melkite works very hard to keep it up to date for those looking for a place to call spiritual home.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 09/06/11 11:53 PM. Reason: additonal information
PJT #368929 09/07/11 06:28 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PJT,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of lurkers out there and we love it when they decide to step out of the shadows (I admit to having done as you describe for several years prior to finally registering).

As Bob says, the directory hopefully can assist you in finding a parish, although I'll readily admit that it is still lacking many entries. (My efforts are directed not so much at keeping it up-to-date as to try and get it to the point where it is up-to-date.)

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
PJT #368938 09/07/11 12:00 PM
P
PJT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
How do I get to the directory of parishes?

PJT #368940 09/07/11 12:43 PM
Online Content
Go up to the top of your screen, click on byzcath.org, and you'll find it listed as "Find-a-parish."

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 09/07/11 12:44 PM.
theophan #369388 09/20/11 01:59 AM
P
P
Hello and welcome! I was born and raised Roman, but married a Byzantine guy, so now I'm Byz also. I haven't been very active here myself but enjoy reading others' posts.

PJT #369398 09/20/11 07:19 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PJT,

Just noticed this thread again (thanks to Pisces posting to it and bringing it back to the top). If you didn't have any luck finding a parish, or need more info about ones in your area (MD still is not complete on the directory), PM me.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.