The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
SheilaFK, DominicanByzCath83, GKChesternut, KarenAnne, Xpistopheros
5549 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Sam64), 86 guests, and 363 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,588
Posts410,983
Members5,549
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I don't know what to say ... #369401
09/20/11 04:33 AM
09/20/11 04:33 AM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline OP
Global Moderator
Irish Melkite  Offline OP
Global Moderator
I
Massachusetts
and that doesn't happen all that often, as we know blush

The topic is bizarre, but I have to share it ...

While searching a couple of the major online bookseller sites, I've come to notice, more and more frequently, listings of books that are accompanied by the legend 'Print on Demand'.

For those unfamiliar with the phrase, this generally describes an out-of-print, out-of-copyright, text that a printer (I'm loath to call them publishers) has photocopied and prints when an order is received. Such certainly fulfill a market demand and can make available texts which are often difficult to find and can be prohibitively expensive to purchase, if one insists on obtaining a real, honest-to-goodness published copy.

But, the idea has apparently now extended beyond that. The first hint of this was noting that 'original' compilations were becoming part of the genre - copies of several journal articles on a topic, for instance, with a cover title indicative of the general subject. (Think back to your professor handing out a stapled batch of photocopied articles as part of your reading list for the semester).

The following, however, caught my eye tonight and I felt the need to share it - because it was sooo ridiculously written. I can only surmise that its author got a print on demand dictionary for his or her birthday and randomly opened it to pages before throwing darts at it to select words to use.

________ Books represents a new publishing paradigm, allowing disparate content sources to be curated into cohesive, relevant, and informative books. To date, this content has been curated from Wikipedia articles and images under Creative Commons licensing, although as ___________ Books continues to increase in scope and dimension, more licensed and public domain content is being added. We believe books such as this represent a new and exciting lexicon in the sharing of human knowledge. This particular book is a collaboration focused on Ukrainian diaspora in the United States.

Too bad, he or she didn't read the definitions before employing the words ... "cohesive" books?, "curated from"?, a collation of articles from Wikipedia represents a "lexicon in the sharing of human knowledge"?, and, binding them together constitutes a "collaboration"?

Amazing - and to think that, if I was willing to accept Wikipedia as a source on which I wanted to rely, I'd pay only $23.55 plus s&h to get it in this format. What a deal!!!

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Re: I don't know what to say ... [Re: Irish Melkite] #369403
09/20/11 05:10 AM
09/20/11 05:10 AM
Glasgow, Scotland
O
Our Lady's slave Offline
Our Lady's slave  Offline
O
Glasgow, Scotland
< shakes head in total disbelief >

Re: I don't know what to say ... [Re: Irish Melkite] #369404
09/20/11 07:56 AM
09/20/11 07:56 AM
Texas USA
J
JimG Offline
JimG  Offline
J
Texas USA
Actually any number of my students would be willing to pay that amount to get something they could turn in as a term paper. The problem with their business model isn't that they are using Wikipedia as their source, hardly any educated in the U.S. in the last 15 years would consider this a problem anyway,but that they are trying to sell stuff that has to be read. No one I know under 25 reads anything anymore unless they are forced to do so under the threat of the most ruthless retribution.

Re: I don't know what to say ... [Re: Irish Melkite] #369409
09/20/11 10:51 AM
09/20/11 10:51 AM
California
S
Systratiotes Offline
Systratiotes  Offline
S
California
I too have noticed the number of "print on demand" internet shops that have sprouted up lately. I shop ABEbooks.com with some frequency for old theological books and find many POD tomes offered there. It seems especially many books relevant to patristic studies are offered that way.

It also happens many of the books I see offered as POD are available as free PDF downloads elsewhere. If one only needs a few pages for research, a PDF allows one to print what is needed at very little cost. It pays to look around.

Also, with a due diligence original hard bound editions of the same books can often be had for a modest price. I have collected over 1000 volumes that way with several rare books included. Usually the "print on demand" price is higher. Only in cases where an original edition is prohibitively expensive, or unavailable, even as a PDF, would I consider buying a "print on demand" substitute.

μιχαηλ η αιρετικη

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.