The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
SebastiĆ£o, NJC89, AsOnDryLand, Joe R, FrEugene
5595 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Krysostomos), 61 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,713
Posts411,784
Members5,595
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recipes - For the Fasting Season or Just Because #371882
11/17/11 09:42 AM
11/17/11 09:42 AM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline OP
Global Moderator
Irish Melkite  Offline OP
Global Moderator
I

Massachusetts
Over the past few years, we've begun to gather quite the collection of recipes. To assure that they could be easily retrieved, a couple of years ago, we began to 'sticky' the threads at the start of each fasting season (since most were concocted with the fasts in mind).

This year, it became obvious that the threads were becoming too numerous to be stickied - forcing folk to scroll down through several to read other threads. After a bit of brainstorming, John came up with the idea of creating a new subforum for your gastronomic edification.

The majority of recipes are likely still to be focused on creative ways to feed your family during the fasts. However, you're certainly welcome to contribute recipes that you and your family enjoy at other times of year - particularly those for traditional foods representative of the many cultures, ethnicities, and nationalities that are the hallmark of this forum community.

It was a tough decision as to where the subforum should be located, since the proper ingredients and techniques for the making of pirohi are, indeed, matters of faith in some Pennsylvania communities. But, secularism won out and it was decided that the Town Hall Forum would be the best place to host it.

A thread on the subject of fasting itself is at the Faith & Theology Forum and will continue to be stickied there at the outset of each fasting season.

Mange!

Many years,

Neil

PS I found a few more threads in the dungeons - whoops, the wine cellars - and moved them to here as well. I'll be looking for others and adding them as I find them.

If you aren't seeing the older ones, scroll down to the very bottom of the thread list and, under 'Display Options', use the dropdown menu next to 'Show topics' to choose 'from all dates'.

A side benefit of the really old threads - we old-timers see posts from folks who haven't posted here for a long time cry and whose names bring back (hopefully) fond memories

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Recipes - For the Fasting Season or Just Because [Re: Irish Melkite] #371901
11/17/11 12:53 PM
11/17/11 12:53 PM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I

Massachusetts
Very possibly the first recipe-related thread ever posted to the forum - on 02-23-2001 - (the oldest I could find). It was posted to a thread entitled "The Great Fast: What to Eat? (aka: Don't Live on Potato Chips)".

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The Byzantine Forum would like to invite all participants to share their experiences on how they ensure a nutritious diet during the Great Fast. It's easy to live up to the letter of the law while stuffing yourself with shrimp, lobster, french fries, and potato chips. It's much harder to keep the spirit of the fast while eating moderate portions of good food. We would like to ask each participant to share at least one of his or her favorite non-meat, non-dairy recipes. We'd also ask that participants provide suggestions for keeping the fast while eating out, as many fasting Christians working in factories and offices lead busy lives and oftentimes don't have the time to prepare meals in advance. Please use this thread for your food-related posts.

Let us set out with joy upon the season of the Fast!

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 01/14/13 08:27 AM. Reason: add link

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Re: Recipes - For the Fasting Season or Just Because [Re: Irish Melkite] #389878
01/14/13 08:18 AM
01/14/13 08:18 AM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I

Massachusetts
These are links to truly classic threads on fasting recipes which used to be stickied in the Town Hall forum every year, before John created the Recipe subforum. It takes some work to find them now, so I decided to add them here. Enjoy!

Recipes - Got Any?

Two Guys Swedish-Irish Vegetarian Chili

Anton's Chocolate Cake

Vegetable Lasagna

Harvest Stew

Many years,

Neil

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.