The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
...In Orthodoxy, there are only 2 choices, marriage or monasticism.There is no "single" life without the protection of monastic vows and the support of the monastic brotherhood.
Alas then for Orthodoxy. We are all born into the single state and it is our natural state in that sense. I know a number of perfectly normal people, male and female, who remain in that state as the one proper to them before God. It is too often neglected and seemingly diminished in theology relative to consecrated virginity, (formal) celibacy, consecrated chastity and marriage. It is within the context of that common state that all of us have experienced that we should reflect on what it means to be a eunuch for the kingdom. (Also in that context consider Celibacy for the Kingdom & the Fulfillment of Human Sexuality [catholiceducation.org])

S
S
You're mistaking continence with celibacy. The former is a condition of the latter, but the latter is a vocation in its own right, a gift not given to all, and not something easy to live even with the support of a community of faith. To live as a true celibate alone is extraordinarily hard, which is why the eremitic life is the rarest and most difficult form of monasticism.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by StuartK
You're mistaking continence with celibacy. The former is a condition of the latter...
Not so, and quite to the contrary:

cel·i·ba·cy celibacy [dictionary.reference.com]
noun
1. abstention from sexual relations.
2. abstention by vow from marriage: the celibacy of priests.
3. the state of being unmarried.

con·ti·nence continence [dictionary.reference.com]
noun
1. self-restraint or abstinence, especially in regard to sexual activity; temperance; moderation.

In particular, I disagree with the concluding statement:
There is no "single" life without the protection of monastic vows and the support of the monastic brotherhood.

S
S
Well, you're just wrong. You're using a dictionary definition to provide cover for what I consider to be a faulty theological understanding of celibacy, and especially of monasticism.

ajk Offline
Well, you're just wrong. You're using a dictionary definition to provide cover for what I consider to be a faulty theological understanding of celibacy, and especially of monasticism.
OK then, you have your dictionary and the rest of the world has theirs.

S
S
You know perfectly well that words can have one meaning in a general context, and a different one in a specialized or technical context.

J
jjp Offline
J
To wit:

crown·ing
   [krou-ning] Show IPA
adjective
representing a level of surpassing achievement, attainment, etc.; supreme: crowning accomplishment.
forming or providing a crown, top, or summit: a crowning star on a Christmas tree.

I'm pretty sure that's not what happened on my wedding day.

S
S
3. (Slang): To deliver a stunning blow to the head.

I suspect that may have happened on your wedding day.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by jjp
To wit:

crown·ing
   [krou-ning] Show IPA
adjective
representing a level of surpassing achievement, attainment, etc.; supreme: crowning accomplishment.
forming or providing a crown, top, or summit: a crowning star on a Christmas tree.

I'm pretty sure that's not what happened on my wedding day.

v. crowned, crown·ing, crowns link [thefreedictionary.com]
v.tr.
1. To put a crown or garland on the head of.
3. To confer honor, dignity, or reward upon.

cf. at Prokimenon

And blessing the couple, the priest says:

O Lord, our God, + crown them with glory and honor.

Prokimenon [patronagechurch.com] : You have placed crowns of precious stones upon their heads; they have asked life of You, and You have given it to them.

Consider also:

con·text context [dictionary.reference.com]
noun
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context. [emphasis added]

ajk Offline

Speaking from experience?

John
John
Originally Posted by ajk

Speaking from experience?
LOL. I've heard of shotgun weddings, and I've seen a book or pamphlet entitled "Crowned with Glory". Now I think I know that there's a deeper meaning. biggrin

J
jjp Offline
J
It would explain a lot.

J
jjp Offline
J
Back to the topic, I think it's clear that an arbitrary dictionary reference doesn't mean much, and certainly doesn't refute the usage that Stuart was talking about.

"You're mistaking continence with celibacy. The former is a condition of the latter, but the latter is a vocation in its own right, a gift not given to all, and not something easy to live even with the support of a community of faith. To live as a true celibate alone is extraordinarily hard, which is why the eremitic life is the rarest and most difficult form of monasticism."

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by jjp
Back to the topic, I think it's clear that an arbitrary dictionary reference doesn't mean much, and certainly doesn't refute the usage that Stuart was talking about.

"You're mistaking continence with celibacy. The former is a condition of the latter, but the latter is a vocation in its own right, a gift not given to all, and not something easy to live even with the support of a community of faith. To live as a true celibate alone is extraordinarily hard, which is why the eremitic life is the rarest and most difficult form of monasticism."
Fair enough. What then is the source/reference for "the usage that Stuart was talking about"?

Also, what accepted (i.e. not just making up meanings) usage supports:
Celibacy outside of the context of a supportive monastic community is dangerous...In Orthodoxy, there are only 2 choices, marriage or monasticism. There is no "single" life without the protection of monastic vows and the support of the monastic brotherhood.
Some context; my objection was:

Originally Posted by ajk
Alas then for Orthodoxy. We are all born into the single state and it is our natural state in that sense. I know a number of perfectly normal people, male and female, who remain in that state as the one proper to them before God. It is too often neglected and seemingly diminished in theology relative to consecrated virginity, (formal) celibacy, consecrated chastity and marriage. It is within the context of that common state that all of us have experienced that we should reflect on what it means to be a eunuch for the kingdom. (Also in that context consider Celibacy for the Kingdom & the Fulfillment of Human Sexuality [catholiceducation.org])
And the response and contrary usage (which to me is at best a non sequitur):

You're mistaking continence with celibacy. The former is a condition of the latter, but the latter is a vocation in its own right, a gift not given to all, and not something easy to live even with the support of a community of faith. To live as a true celibate alone is extraordinarily hard, which is why the eremitic life is the rarest and most difficult form of monasticism.

John
John
I'm wondering if Slavipodvizhnik's post was speaking only to monastics? That a monastic living a celibate life outside the support of the monastic community is a dangerous thing? That the context of the words simply did not include laymen?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.