The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
OP Offline
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
http://www.stgeorgestaylor.com/

FYI. The ACROD (American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) parish in Taylor, Pa., (near Scranton), for some weeks now, has been having Wednesday night 6PM Moleben services to the Mother of God. They have a replica of the Hawaiian Iveron icon. Back in October, the parish was visited by the ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) Reader who has possession of the "Hawaiian" Iveron icon which had begun to stream with tears of myrrh. He gave the priest in Taylor, Mark Leasure, a replica copy of that icon. Within days, the gift icon began to stream. He anointed a personal icon which he has (Kardiotissa?) with the myrrh, and it began to stream. So, now they have two streaming icons on the Tetrapod for people to venerate, and from which they anoint congregants with the myrrh. This last Wednesday, January 11, I got there late because I work until 5, and they start at 6. I got there as the priest began anointing people (he anointed me, also). I got to look up close. Both icons are enclosed by glass. The glass was covered with the myrrh like ice covers a window in the dead of Winter. From what I can tell, the myrrh appears to have penetrated through the glass! People tell me that it also penetrated through the wood part of the encasement. From what I can see, it is authentic. They are not promoting this to the media. It has strictly been promoted by word of mouth. My impression was that most of the people at the Moleben were Roman Catholics. I did recognize some Byzantine Catholics from our area parishes, and both ACROD and OCA Orthodox people I know from the area.

Dn. Robert Behrens
Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church
Jessup, Pa..

D
DMD Offline
D
Fr. Jonathan at Second Terrace weighs in on this phenomena: http://janotec.typepad.com/terrace/2012/01/a-prophetic-postscript.html

Originally Posted by DMD
Fr. Jonathan at Second Terrace weighs in on this phenomena: http://janotec.typepad.com/terrace/2012/01/a-prophetic-postscript.html

Fr. Jonathan's final paragraphs deserve a wider reading:

Is Mary not weeping, in her Heavenly Ever-Virginity, because we have too much pride in the imagination of our hearts?

Because we have exalted ourselves on our autonomous thrones?

Because we have sent the hungry away, and we have hungered, ironically, for less than good things?

Because we have not sought mercy enough to give it, and to seek nothing less?

Because of too many abortions, too many deaths from hunger or polluted water or lack of doctors? Too much destruction of nature, too much scarring of creation?

And ... too little deification, abnormality? Too much corporate thinking at the centers? Too much forgetful ennui, quiet desperation on the marches?

History begins in the Nous, the essence of the soul. "Thy Kingdom come" starts in the heart, blossoms in language, and is harvested in the world of history.

She smiles. Her spirit, after all, rejoices in God the Saviour, for the Lord is magnified, not forgotten, by her soul.

Last edited by Thomas the Seeker; 01/14/12 03:08 AM.
D
DMD Offline
D
Fr. Jonathan is a good friend and a wonderful priest in ACROD. He teaches homiletics at both Christ the Saviour in Johnstown and SS. Cyril and Methodius in Pittsburgh and is currently assigned to St. John's in East Pittsburgh and was the pastor of St. Nicholas in Scranton.

R
R
The "Hawaii Iveron Icon" is itself a replica, very much like a color photocopy of the original, and it is simply reproduced on a piece of paper. The myrrh-streaming is utterly remarkable, miraculous. A priest friend of mine, an iconographer, has held this copy in his hands and watched it stream. The myrrh, or rather myron really, has a distinct rose scent to it. I have smelled it myself and been annointed with it. My priest friend says this is typical of the myron from streaming icons of the Mother of God. The myron from streaming icons of Our Lord and Savior have a spicy scent to them he says.

Last edited by Rybak; 01/16/12 03:53 AM. Reason: spelling
D
DMD Offline
D

I had watched and listened (several times) to the clip you provided on another thread of the Theophany Eve Compline at this same church. The crowd here for the Moleben to the Theotokos seems considerably larger ...

Last edited by Curious Joe; 01/31/12 10:55 PM.
D
DMD Offline
D
I understand that the Wednesday services cut across our religious divide so the Church is packed. I view it as the Theotokas reminding us that our differences are less significant than our commonality.

Last edited by DMD; 02/01/12 03:44 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.