The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
Try Mar Mari Orthodox Church of the East on Buenavista Ave. in Yonkers. Beautiful East Syriac Liturgy. Warmly hospitable people. Welcoming priest and khouriyeh. They admit to the Table of the Lord all the faithful of the Apostolic Churches. I believe you can make a case for Catholics to receive there based on the mutual accommodation between the Assyrian Orthodox and Chaldean Catholics. The Qurbana Raza is served in Syriac but there are bilingual texts available. The priest and faithful are from Iran. Let me know if this works for you.

This is precisely what I was thinking of. Namely assisting at a Church that isn't Catholic, solely for the sake of becoming acquainted with the Tradition on it's own merits, whilst still holding to Catholic teaching. smile

Thank you.

I apparently however do have a local Syriac community, but the address listed for St.George's in Brooklyn seems to be for a house on Google Maps. :-?

But I appreciate your personal recommendation, and will take it into consideration. The only "dilemma" is that as a Roman Catholic, I wouldn't be able to fulfill my Sunday obligation (nor HDOs) within a non Catholic Church. I believe there is a dispensation for Oriental, and Byzantine Catholics though. However, if they do offer weekday Liturgies, then I would have no problem attending, if only to observe and become acquainted with the Tradition smile. Thank you biggrin

I'd like to note that, regardless of which Catholic church you attend, the most perfect Israelite that ever lived is in attendance, and you have the opportunity to commune with Him.

Also, the Church is the New Israel. The Israel of Moses's times was not externally perfectly identical to David's. But the Blessed and Glorious Trinity with with both of them, and that's what matters.

Similarly, we can't expect New Israel in Peter's time to look exactly like New Israel in Benedict XVI's, much the less like Old Israel under Hyrcanus, for example.

Last edited by Booth; 01/14/12 01:31 PM.
O
O
Originally Posted by Yehonathan Rafa'El
But I appreciate your personal recommendation, and will take it into consideration. The only "dilemma" is that as a Roman Catholic, I wouldn't be able to fulfill my Sunday obligation (nor HDOs) within a non Catholic Church. I believe there is a dispensation for Oriental, and Byzantine Catholics though. However, if they do offer weekday Liturgies, then I would have no problem attending, if only to observe and become acquainted with the Tradition smile. Thank you biggrin

There is no problem/dilemma - you attend the RC Church on Saturday evening for the Vigil Mass - then you have fulfilled your Obligation . This allows you then to attend the Orthodox Church on the Sunday morning .

Is this a Syriac Catholic Qurbono?

Thank you

In Christ,
Anthony

Quote:

Shouldn't it reflect something akin to this (Even if slightly Latinized.), given that they share a common Ritual origin ? :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EA7AC2A7C99B55C

Y
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Booth
I'd like to note that, regardless of which Catholic church you attend, the most perfect Israelite that ever lived is in attendance, and you have the opportunity to commune with Him.

Also, the Church is the New Israel. The Israel of Moses's times was not externally perfectly identical to David's. But the Blessed and Glorious Trinity with with both of them, and that's what matters.

Similarly, we can't expect New Israel in Peter's time to look exactly like New Israel in Benedict XVI's, much the less like Old Israel under Hyrcanus, for example.

But that is the beauty of organic development. I can recognize that those liturgies evolved given the circumstances in which they found themselves in, without coming off affected in the process. I embrace that organic development from within that particular context, and Tradition.

As such, that is the Tradition whose praxis reflects that of The Church in Jerusalem.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

There is no problem/dilemma - you attend the RC Church on Saturday evening for the Vigil Mass - then you have fulfilled your Obligation . This allows you then to attend the Orthodox Church on the Sunday morning .

I had not even considered that option. I guess I am so used to solely going to Mass on Sundays, whilst going to confession (When I'm not procrastinating...) on Saturday afternoons. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I had not even considered that option.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Anthony
Is this a Syriac Catholic Qurbono?

Thank you

In Christ,
Anthony

Quote:

Shouldn't it reflect something akin to this (Even if slightly Latinized.), given that they share a common Ritual origin ? :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EA7AC2A7C99B55C

Indeed it is. It is a community of Syriac Catholics from within Brazil. The Ad Populum caught me off guard, but I have also previously observed in one video on Youtube (The Liturgy of St.James), where a second altar was employed (after the main altar had been previously employed earlier in the day), and the Priest celebrated ad populum. Mind you, this was an Orthodox priest, so I have no idea where that came from.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I apparently however do have a local Syriac community, but the address listed for St.George's in Brooklyn seems to be for a house on Google Maps. :-?

Jonathan,

Keep in mind that not all parishes or missions have the financial wherewithal to build or purchase a temple that would conform to what we would ordinarily expect one to look like. This would be far from the first such congregation to worship in a dwelling place.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Y
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite

Jonathan,

Keep in mind that not all parishes or missions have the financial wherewithal to build or purchase a temple that would conform to what we would ordinarily expect one to look like. This would be far from the first such congregation to worship in a dwelling place.

Many years,

Neil

Oh I understand that, it is just that the Youtube videos of the Church give the impression that it is an actual ecclesial structure (Stained glass windows, etc.):

I am however curious as to why they appear to be celebrating First Eucharist in that way. I always assumed Oriental Churches conferred all three mysteries of Christian initiation at one time.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jonathan,

Many years,

Neil

Oh I understand that, it is just that the Youtube videos of the Church give the impression that it is an actual ecclesial structure (Stained glass windows, etc.):

Hmm, I can see your point. After much research, I can't find any answer to the apparent disconnect between the two. But, I've emailed Father Gabriel, the pastor of St George's in an effort to resolve the question. Hopefully, I can give you some more info in a day or so.

I am however curious as to why they appear to be celebrating First Eucharist in that way. I always assumed Oriental Churches conferred all three mysteries of Christian initiation at one time.

The Syriac Orthodox have some latinization/westernization. My brother, Michael Thoma, may be better able to speak to the issue of how prevalent this is or whether it is likely a case of 'First Solemn Communion' as discussed before.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Y
OP Offline
Y

Jonathan,

Many years,

Neil

Hmm, I can see your point. After much research, I can't find any answer to the apparent disconnect between the two. But, I've emailed Father Gabriel, the pastor of St George's in an effort to resolve the question. Hopefully, I can give you some more info in a day or so.

The Syriac Orthodox have some latinization/westernization. My brother, Michael Thoma, may be better able to speak to the issue of how prevalent this is or whether it is likely a case of 'First Solemn Communion' as discussed before.

Many years,

Neil

I very much appreciate that Irish Melkite, thank you.

By chance, does anyone know the proper salutatory greeting for a Bishop of The Syriac (or Oriental Churches in general) Church when writing a letter ? Would it still be, 'Your Excellency' ?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
By chance, does anyone know the proper salutatory greeting for a Bishop of The Syriac (or Oriental Churches in general) Church when writing a letter ? Would it still be, 'Your Excellency' ?

As regards both Syriac Churches and the Maronite Church, Sayedna is acceptable in spoken address. Although Mor is commonly used by the Syriacs as well.

As regards the Malankara Churches, the Malabarese Church, the Chaldean Church, and both the Assyrian and Ancient Churches of the East, in speaking, one would address them as either Mar or Mor (I forget, off-hand, which Church uses which spelling).

Abuna is the spoken usage for hierarchs of the Ethiopian and Eritean Churches. Abba for those of the Coptic Church.

The Armenians, yepiskopos (phonetic, as best I can do it).

As to written protocol for the Syriacs, at least, I'll PM Michael and draw his attention here.

Many years,

Neil

The only real reason I could assume why that Syriac Orthodox priest was celebrating versus populum is that the church was situated backward. There is no approved instance of celebrating not facing East that I am aware either by Malankara Orthodox, Syriac Orthodox, or Syro-Malankara Catholics or Church of the East (ideally, neither Syriac Catholics, Chaldean Catholics or Maronites either!), unless by particular circumstance of which I am unaware.

Although I am unaware of any latinization imposed on the Syriac Orthodox to the level of the Byzantine Churches -- there has always been a close tie between the Syriac Churches and the Latin Church. Even when there were divisions among them, they have recognized one other as successors of St. Peter and kept more than a cordial relationship - for example: after his deposition by Islamic rulers, the "Gregorian Calendar" was created by the Syriac Patriarch living in Rome, HH Ignatius Nemet'Alah I http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Nemet_Allah_I ; Gregorian Chant was most assuredly Influenced Syriac Chant and music https://bu.digication.com/eastandwest/Final_thoughts ; etc

Regarding the cope over that deacon, he was being ordained into the subdeaconate from the role of Reader-Deacon: http://sor.cua.edu/Vestments/ Scroll to the very bottom and you can see the various ways of wearing the vestment according to rank.

Finally, for the Syriac Churches - address the Bishop as "Aboon Mor" or "Aboon Mar" which translates "Our father, Master[or Lord]": for example. His Grace Aboon Mor Yuhannon Eusebius, etc.. Generally in contemporary usage, Syriacs in the MidEast tend to use Mor before the bishops name, as cited previously; in India, in between the first and second name. Lately, Orthodox generally have been using "His Grace"; Catholics "His Excellency" but these are in flux and tend to change often.

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 01/20/12 06:20 PM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Michael, my friend,

I knew you'd get here and resolve some of this (and even before I had an opportunity to PM you biggrin ). Thanks very much.

Many years,

Neil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.