The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 177 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,767
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Curious Joe #376000 02/19/12 09:50 PM
How far do you drive to your church?
20 minutes

How many parishioners attend DL?
We have only one DL each Sunday (late morning), as our pastor is assigned two parishes roughly 30 miles apart. Usually have 90 or so in attendance at minimum, upwards of 120 at times. We have some "snow birds" in the parish who are gone during the winter months.

What is the average age of those attending?
40s - 50s

Do you have any groups?
Men's Club and Women's Club (who run just about everything); ByzanTEENs (high school & college); Adult Education Classes; Choir

Do you know/are friends with many/any parishioners?
Social at church functions, but the parish is fairly dispersed geographically. We are close with two families that live nearby, as our kids are in the same school district.

Pisces #376004 02/19/12 10:59 PM
S
S

About seven miles

How many parishioners attend DL? (averages are OK)

Approximately 200.

About thirty.

Do you have any groups?

Many--Ladies Guild, Teen Group, Adult Study Group, Arabic Choir,etc.

Yes.

Pisces #376009 02/19/12 11:28 PM
J
J

Less than one mile. (I intentionally moved 3 blocks down the road, as the crow flies, so that it would be easy to go to everything)

One DL per Sunday, and about 80 is the average attendance.

We have all ages about equally, I would say, from babies and toddlers up through folks in their seventies. And then a smaller amount of folks who are older -in their eighties. And one woman in her nineties.

Do you have any groups?

ECF, Men's Group, Parish Council. Recently formed 3 committees: liturgy, building, and baking.

Socialize with all at church, but there are several folks who I spend time with away from the parish as well (and they are people I met at the parish, not people I already knew).

Curious Joe #376055 02/20/12 08:32 PM
J
JEK Offline
J
For a history of Saint Michael's Cathedral and SS Peter and Paul Cathedral (originally a Greek Catholic parish who broke off from St. Michael's circa 1909) in Passaic, NJ please visit The Carpathian Connection [tccweb.org]. This site affords an expansive history of Byzantine Catholic Churches, histories of immigration and photos posted in the gallery [tccweb.org] are unique.

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 02/20/12 09:31 PM. Reason: urls
Pisces #376060 02/20/12 09:28 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum, JEK smile

Yes, as mentioned here several times in the past, The Carpathian Connection site created by Steve Osifchin and Joy Kovalycsik is a wonderful source of information.

I should also mention that Steve is among the several webmasters who have graciously given me permission to copy and use photos from the site in illustrating directory entries.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
J
JEK Offline
J
Thank you for your gracious welcome Neil, your kind words about TCC and about Mr. Osifchin who is a very talented webmaster and devoted family historian. I read the postings about Passaic, NJ and knew TCC could be of further assistance to those who would be interested in the churches from this City.

Pisces #376063 02/20/12 10:00 PM
S
S
1 hour 10 mins

About 40-50 regularly; 250-300 at Easter & Christmas

An average? Probably 45. The age range is vast, though, with a large number of people in their 70s and 80s and a substantial number of young families.

Do you have any groups?
Shkola meets weekly; CYM is about to officially re-launch after many years' absence; PLAST is hoping to re-establish shortly; we are in the midst of starting a Ukrainian choir that takes in people both from the Ukrainian club and the Church - which will be a significant feat.

Yes, quite a few.

Pisces #376073 02/21/12 01:49 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I'm moving this thread to Parish Life, as I think its content and the inevitable comparisons and discussions arising from it are well-suited to that forum. As well, it won't disappear down the list as quickly as it will in Town Hall, where a plethora of new threads on random topics tend to make that happen.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.