The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
O.S.,

It's a bit difficult to judge. Frankly, given that your wife is coming from the position of being a cradle member of the Orthodox Church and, therefore, entitled to - even required to - be accepted into the 'corresponding' Eastern Catholic Church, it's difficult to imagine that any Latin hierarch would decline permission for you to transfer canonical enrollment at the same time.

My recommendation would be to reach out to the Eastern Catholic hierarch/chancery/parish of the jurisdiction in which you're seeking enrollment and get their advice on how best to approach the matter. I'd start with the parish priest.

Your options, given your locale and the fact that each has a canonical presence in the US, are the Ruthenians, the Ukrainians, the Melkites, or the Romanians.

The respective hierarchs with jurisdiction where you live are:

Bishop John (Kudrick), Eparch of Parma of the Ruthenians
Bishop Richard (Seminack), Eparch of St Nicholas in Chicago of the Ukrainians
Bishop Nicholas (Samra), Eparch of Newton of the Melkites
Eparch John Michael (Botean), Eparch of St George in Canton of the Romanians

Contact info for all of these can be found here

The nearest parishes/monasteries to you, as best I can tell - including rough estimates of distance and drive time:

Ruthenians:
Annunciation: Homer Glen IL -- 3h, 150 mi
St John: Minneapolis MN -- 4.5h, 275 mi

Ukrainians:
St Michael: Milwaukee WI -- 1.5h, 75 mi

Melkites:
St George: Milwaukee WI -- 1.5h, 75 mi
St John: Northlake IL -- 2.5h, 135 mi

Romanians:
Holy Resurrection Monastery: St Nazianz WI -- 2.25h, 115 mi
St George: Aurora IL -- 2.5h, 140 mi
St Michael: Aurora IL -- same
Ss Peter & Paul: Chicago IL -- 2.75h, 150 mi

You can get at least some info - including websites, schedules, etc, on all of these (with the possible exceptions of the UGCC parish and Romanian monastery, both of which I'll add by the weekend), at the on-line directory

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I was just thinking ... does anyone know if Parma still has a small mission with a bi-ritual priest up in the Green Bay area - Appleton or Waupaca, perhaps? (Not that it's much closer - still 2h, 115 miles to either of those).

I recollect hearing mention of this midway through last year ...

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
As to the canonical situation.

I have a good friend who was raised Latin Rite and then later was involved with various Protestant groups.

Later, he and his wife (who had never been Catholic) were received into a Ruthenian parish -- he by Confession, she by Chrismation.

When they received a Crowning at the Ruthenian parish, this canon from the CCEO was invoked to allow the husband to become canonically Ruthenian:

Canon 33 - A wife is at liberty to transfer to the Church of the husband at the celebration of or during the marriage; when the marriage has ended, she can freely return to the original Church sui iuris.

It was decided by the Eparchy to allow the husband, in this case, this same liberty.

As far as I know, both are still considered canonical members of the Ruthenian Church.

OS2,

We go mostly to a GOC church, and there is a RC priest close by who gives us the Sacraments. Otherwise we are converting our front room into a chapel of sorts, and we have reader's services at home. We do what we can.

In Christ,
Adam

O
OP Offline
O
I just want to thank everyone for their contributions, especially, Neil. I know that we will be living in Madison for another 3.5 years. Where we move from here I am not sure.Hopefully, back to the east coast where there are more EC parishes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.