The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Every family has its own holiday traditions. What were your parents' and grandparents' holiday traditions that you remember? What goodies were on the table? (I grew up in a nonreligious environment so I'm curious)

I've lived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country all my life.

For many generations the folks would dye eggs by cooking them either in red beet juice for red, or in onion shells for a deep chestnut brown. Commercial dyes were slower to catch on.

Growing up, it seemed that the onion shell eggs were always hidden in the the houseplant containers--very hard to find.

My mother would always bake a cake molded to look like a rabbit, covered with flaked coconut atop the icing.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
cake molded to look like a rabbit, covered with flaked coconut atop the icing.
This year please take a picture of the rabbit cake! I want to see it!

In Russia the most popular homemade dye for Easter eggs is onion shell. It's usually boiled in an aluminum pot so that enamel pots do not get stained.

Originally Posted by MariyaNJ
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
cake molded to look like a rabbit, covered with flaked coconut atop the icing.
This year please take a picture of the rabbit cake! I want to see it!

Alas, there will be no cake. My mother reposed during Great Lent of AD 2000.

S
S
I had a great-uncle who used to abstain from liquor all during Lent. Then on Easter Sunday he'd get rip-roaring drunk and become quarrelsome to the point of physical violence. It was legendary behaviour in our family. The penchant of many people of Eastern European descent for alcoholism and depression is well known.

He reposed (I hope it was in the Lord) a long time ago, in 1957. ( shot himself to death while cleaning his guns for a hunting trip) - he was drunk when he did it. It was ruled accidental.

Human behaviour can be so very strange & spooky. Oh, how we all need God's Mercy.

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 03/12/12 03:26 AM.
J
JEK Offline
J
Mariya,

here you got, this is a very popular Polish custom at Easter, you will be able to purchase these fresh (and delicious!) at Polonia Bakery on Monroe Street or Piast on River Road, Garfield and even some of the buthers will carry them (Garfield Bakery is the best, River Road)

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
Thanks. Probably on Monroe Street I'll pick it up around Easter.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
I had a great-uncle who used to abstain from liquor all during Lent. Then on Easter Sunday he'd get rip-roaring drunk and become quarrelsome to the point of physical violence. It was legendary behaviour in our family. The penchant of many people of Eastern European descent for alcoholism and depression is well known.

He reposed (I hope it was in the Lord) a long time ago, in 1957. ( shot himself to death while cleaning his guns for a hunting trip) - he was drunk when he did it. It was ruled accidental.

Human behaviour can be so very strange & spooky. Oh, how we all need God's Mercy.
Wow...

J
JEK Offline
J
You are welcome, make sure you call in and place an order though, that place is jammed at the holiday with people out the door and down the sidewalks, they also have very good health four grain bread, black bread and, natural honey which I highly recommend (their rye bread is to kill for also).

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Mariya,

Great thread idea - let's do it again at Christmas (we've had some of those in the past and they were great). Now, I'm racking my brain though, trying to recollect any ongoing tradition.

Bless, Pastor Thomas,

May your Mother's memory be eternal.

I have absolute faith in you, my friend - I'll bet that you can produce a rabbit cake for the occasion that would do your Mom proud biggrin (says he, who wouldn't try to bake a cake on a bet blush ).

sielos,

May your uncle's memory be eternal.

Joy,

Ok, I love the lamb cake, but I have to know - is the head made of frosting in a mold or by hand? Or is it plastic?

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Bless, Pastor Thomas,

May your Mother's memory be eternal.

Neil

Thank you...today is the anniversary by liturgical date.

J
JEK Offline
J
Joy,

Ok, I love the lamb cake, but I have to know - is the head made of frosting in a mold or by hand? Or is it plastic?

Many years,

Neil

Actually, this one is of White Chocolate, there are various ways to make these cakes and everyone tends to become quite creative, the Polish, Ruthenians, Slovaks and Ukrainians become quite creative, they also make a butter lamb, put a flag on it (with the cross like christ holds in some paintings), you name it..lastly, the cake does not have to be coated with coconut, it can be left plain, coated with icing, you name it.

Here are some more examples

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thanks.

Actually, those last two, with the drizzled frosting (think that's what one calls it) are very interesting (said he who isn't a big fan of traditional frosting)

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
Does anyone remember this:

The Orthodox Bunny Cake [youtube.com]

D
DMD Offline
D
Back in the day, there were actually real bakeries in the Binghamton area and two were famous for their lamb cakes and at Christmas time, their honey molasses St. Nicholas cookies - akin to 'medovniki.' There was one dear woman, of blessed memory, who would always bake one for the 'rectory' and it would show up at our Easter meal. Unfortunately, it was always rather dry and .....Oh well - it's the thought that counts. We have made and sold butter lambs for years during our Lenten pirohi sales.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.