Newest Members
Canicus, SilverRose, reenyo, YAA_23, Edna_Obal
5026 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Talon, JGlennCee), 54 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
"IconoFan 2" at St. Thekla Monastery Chapel
Father Archimandrite Januarius (Izzo), OFM
Can anyone identify what tradition this star might be from?
Lost Community in Lynch, KY
Patriarch Gregory at EWTN
Forum Stats
5026 Members
26 Forums
33128 Topics
401706 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#377457 - 03/13/12 12:54 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: StuartK]
Alice Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: StuartK
Does anyone remember this:

The Orthodox Bunny Cake

Stuart,

The wierd thing about that video is that it makes it seem like the Bunny Cake is a *Greek* Orthodox tradition, when it is not!

#377458 - 03/13/12 02:39 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
StuartK Offline

Loc: Falls Church, VA
I always thought the Slavs would try to make a bunny out of cabbage leaves and piroghi.

#377464 - 03/13/12 06:24 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: StuartK]
Two Lungs Offline

Loc: Takoma Park, MD
Originally Posted By: StuartK
I always thought the Slavs would try to make a bunny out of cabbage leaves and piroghi.

No, but the rabbit kielbasi is a seasonal delicacy. laugh

#377496 - 03/13/12 03:08 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
Alice Offline

More family Easter recollections anybody?

You don't know how nostalgic it was for me to answer...with my grandparents long dead, but fondly remembering those days in the 60's in Brooklyn.

So many times I hear Italian-Americans (who were our neighbors) recollecting on television about their big family Sunday dinners in Brooklyn...and you can almost place yourself in their beautiful memories because they are so vivid and so pleasant.

It was a special place and a special time for many ethnic groups.

#377508 - 03/13/12 05:27 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
Pani Rose Offline

Loc: Irondale,AL
Oh there are many. But, I am so excited about Pascha this year. I just hope I am not going to be overwhelmed because my husband isn't there. Some days I have so much trouble during the Divine Liturgy. My youngest son found a recording he did of his dad serving the Liturgy. Such a treasure. My heart has always gone out to Penetheria ( sure I spelled that wrong), it must be terribly hard. I am so crying ight now.

Ooouuhh, I could make small paschas in ramikins, for the parish. Not certain I could do all the braiding though. Will have to think about it.

#377516 - 03/13/12 07:10 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Pani Rose]
Thomas the Seeker Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Pani Rose
Some days I have so much trouble during the Divine Liturgy. My youngest son found a recording he did of his dad serving the Liturgy. Such a treasure. My heart has always gone out to Penetheria ( sure I spelled that wrong), it must be terribly hard. I am so crying ight now.

I posted this in another discussion, a classic by The Rev. Berthold Von Schenk (1895 - 1974)
[As quoted in For All the Saints, vol IV (American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 1996)]

Quote:
Our human nature needs more than the assurance that some day and in some way we shall again meet our loved ones "in heaven." That is all gloriously true. But how does that help, us now? When we, then, view death in the light of the Communion of Saints and Holy Communion, there is no helpless bereavement. My loved one has just left me and has gone on a long journey. But I am in touch with her. I know that there is a place where we can meet. It is at the Altar. How it thrills me when I hear the words of the liturgy, "Therefore with angels and archangels and all the company of Heaven," for I know that she is there with that company of heaven, the Communion of Saints, with the Lord. The nearer I come to my Lord in Holy Communion, the nearer I come to the saints. to my own loved ones. I am a member of the Body of Christ, I am a living cell in that spiritual organism, partaking of the life of the other cells, and sharing in the Body of Christ Himself.

There is nothing fanciful or unreal about this: Indeed, it is the most real thing in my life. Of course, I miss my loved one. I should miss her if she took a long holiday trip. But now. since she-is what some people call “dead,” she is closer to me than ever. Of course, I miss her physical presence bitterly. I miss her voice and the sound of approaching footsteps. But I have not lost her. And when my sense of loss becomes too great, I can always go to our meeting place at the Altar where I receive the Body and Blood of my Lord that preserves my body and soul just as it has preserved her unto everlasting life.

Do learn to love the Altar as the meeting place with your beloved who have passed within the veil. Here again the Sacrament is the heart of our religion. The Blessed Sacrament links us not merely to Bethlehem and Calvary, but to the whole world beyond the grave as well. For at the Altar the infinite is enshrined in the finite, heaven stoops down to earth, and the seen and the unseen meet.

Edited by Thomas the Seeker (03/13/12 07:12 PM)
Edit Reason: bb tag

#378389 - 04/06/12 01:20 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
MariyaNJ Offline

Loc: NJ
Here we go! This is my first Easter lamb!

#378390 - 04/06/12 01:46 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
Alice Offline

Originally Posted By: MariyaNJ
Here we go! This is my first Easter lamb!

smile smile smile

#378452 - 04/08/12 03:52 AM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Thomas the Seeker]
Thomas the Seeker Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Thomas the Seeker
I've lived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country all my life.

For many generations the folks would dye eggs by cooking them either in red beet juice for red, or in onion shells for a deep chestnut brown.

My mother (of blessed memory, reposed 12 years this Paschaltide) had ceramic egg holders that were painted to resemble a chicken--beak and comb on one side of the cup and claws at the base.

An "onion shell" egg was placed in such a cup at each place. We began the feast by eating the "onion shell" egg as the first course.

In her final years my mother had acquired her cousin's oil paints, and we would decorate 12 to 15 inch pillar candles to be miniature Paschal candles.

#378529 - 04/10/12 01:21 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Irish Melkite]
Little Green Coat Offline

Loc: Missouri
On Easter Monday if a girl likes a boy she tosses some water on him. On Easter Tuesday if a boy likes a girl he tosses water on her.

When my husband and I were dating (my husband is of the same ethnic background) i tossed a shot glass of water on him and said Christos Voskrese. As soon as the water hit him I knew he had no idea what I did. When he got home later that evening he called his parents to confirm my story. his parents also laughed themselves silly.

#378532 - 04/10/12 01:47 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Little Green Coat]
Alice Offline

Originally Posted By: Little Green Coat
On Easter Monday if a girl likes a boy she tosses some water on him. On Easter Tuesday if a boy likes a girl he tosses water on her.

When my husband and I were dating (my husband is of the same ethnic background) I tossed a shot glass of water on him and said Christos Voskrese. As soon as the water hit him I knew he had no idea what I did. When he got home later that evening he called his parents to confirm my story. his parents also laughed themselves silly.

What a cute story! Thanks for sharing it! If you don't mind me asking, from where is this tradition from?

I can imagine that your husband must have thought you were a little whacky when you first did it! grin

#378535 - 04/10/12 02:03 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Alice]
Diak Offline

Loc: Kansas/UGCC
My wife makes the bread Paschas, bakes the Artos, and I make the syrnik Pascha with the pyramid-style mold, make the hrin, hrudka and a baked syrnik. And of course lots of krashanky for the kids. And of course there is kishka at breakfast on Bright Monday.

#378542 - 04/10/12 03:35 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: MariyaNJ]
Alice Offline

I may be alone here, but I was left scratching my head at Diak's post, because although I know what the 'Pascha' is, I did not know the other words! So here goes, for anyone else like me:

Syrniki:

In Russian, Belarusian, Lithuanian, Polish, and Ukrainian cuisines, syrniki (Russian: сы́рник[и]; Ukrainian: сирники; Belarusian: сырнікі) are fried quark pancakes, garnished with sour cream, jam, honey, or apple sauce. The cheese mixture may contain raisins for extra flavor. In Russia they are also known as tvorozhniki (творо́жники).

Syrniki are made from creamy quark, mixed with flour, egg, and sugar, sometimes adding vanilla extract. The soft mixture is shaped into cakes, which are fried, generally in vegetable oil. The outside becomes crisp, and the center is warm and creamy. They are sweet and served for breakfast or dessert. Their simplicity and relative lack of expensive ingredients makes them very popular in Eastern Europe [citation needed][neutrality is disputed].

In Russia we name them “syrniki” which means cheesy pancakes, but the main ingredient – cottage cheese Russians calls “tvorog” which is not a cheese actually. We eat “tvorog” with sour cream or jam on breakfast, it is very healthy and tasty.[1]

The name syrniki is derived from the word сыр in Russian or сир in Ukrainian (transliteration: syr), meaning "cheese" in both languages. Although the modern meaning of the word сыр (syr) in Russian is hard yellow cheese, the original word in Slavic languages stood for soft white cheese (similar to today's quark cheese, which is still called сир in Ukrainian but metamorphosed into творог, tvorog in Russian).[2] Thus, the word syrniki, derived from the old meaning of syr, came to designate pancakes made from soft white cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrniki

Krashanky:

http://web.mac.com/lubap/Types/Krashanky.html

Hrudka:

"Hrudka pronounced (hur-UT-ka)is a simple custard cheese that's essential for many Eastern European Easter tables. It's sliced and eaten by itself or, more often, as part of a ham or kolbassi sandwich made on Paska bread that's slathered with beet horseradish. The recipe is as easy as it is healthy. Ha!"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easter-cheese---hrudka/

Kishka:

Kishka or kishke (Slovene: kašnica; Belarusian кішка, kishka; Polish: kiszka; Romanian chişcă Silesian krupńok; Yiddish kishke; Hebrew קישקע; Russian Кишка) refers to various types of sausage or stuffed intestine with a filling made from a combination of meat and meal, often a grain. The dish is popular across Eastern Europe as well as with immigrant communities from those areas. It is also eaten by Ashkenazi Jews who prepare their version according to kashrut dietary laws. The name itself is Slavic in origin, and literally means "gut" or "intestine."[

One Eastern European kishka type is kaszanka, a blood sausage made with pig's blood and buckwheat or barley, with pig intestines used as a casing.[2] Similar to black pudding, it is traditionally served at breakfast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kishka

Diak: I would love some of the 'syrniki' please! smile

#378593 - 04/11/12 09:02 PM Re: What are your family's Easter traditions? [Re: Alice]
Little Green Coat Offline

Loc: Missouri

The sprinkling or tossing of water was from the Stara Lubovnia
region of Slovakia. Other areas of of the Carpatho Rusyn region also had this tradition.

another Carpatho-rusyn tradition was on Pentecost besides decorating your home with green, if a young man liked a young woman he would bring some green branches to her home.
well my uncle dugged out a entire tree and put it on my aunt's front porch. My memory of my aunt and uncle was of an elderly couple. Certainly not romantic. After I heard this story I had a new respect of my romantic uncle. smirk

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. Contents copyright - 1996-2014. All rights reserved.