Newest Members
Canicus, SilverRose, reenyo, YAA_23, Edna_Obal
5026 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Orthodox Catholic, Messdiener, griego catolico, Fr. Al, Athanasius The L, Peter J, 1 invisible), 96 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
"IconoFan 2" at St. Thekla Monastery Chapel
Father Archimandrite Januarius (Izzo), OFM
Can anyone identify what tradition this star might be from?
Lost Community in Lynch, KY
Patriarch Gregory at EWTN
Forum Stats
5026 Members
26 Forums
33114 Topics
401622 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Topic Options
#377478 - 03/13/12 12:35 PM Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church
sielos ilgesys Offline

Loc: Texas/USA
"Proclaim the Gospel at all times.
Use words only when necessary."

#377494 - 03/13/12 02:59 PM Re: Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church [Re: sielos ilgesys]
Alice Offline

Loc: USA
That is truly one of the best sayings ever...it is so funny because the RC claim it is from St. Francis Assisi, the Orthodox from St. John Chrysostom, and well, we can only guess who the Protestants might attribute it to! smile

The point is not who said it of course, but that it is a powerful, powerful message!

#378560 - 04/11/12 02:30 AM Re: Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church [Re: sielos ilgesys]
Carson Daniel Offline

Loc: Walled Lake, Mi
Too many people use it as an excuse not to do or say anything that might be understood to be the Gospel. "If you are ashamed of me on earth," Jesus said, "I will be ashamed of you before my Father."

#378564 - 04/11/12 04:07 AM Re: Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church [Re: Alice]
Thomas the Seeker Offline

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Alice
That is truly one of the best sayings ever...it is so funny because the RC claim it is from St. Francis Assisi, the Orthodox from St. John Chrysostom, and well, we can only guess who the Protestants might attribute it to! smile

The point is not who said it of course, but that it is a powerful, powerful message!

The person who posted it probably knows that it could be attributed to either (or both) but would never want to admit it lest they be perceived as "too Catholic" or "too Orthodox".

Sad when your concept of church history doesn't extend beyond the 16th or 17th century....

#378567 - 04/11/12 09:45 AM Re: Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church [Re: Carson Daniel]
sielos ilgesys Offline

Loc: Texas/USA
Seems a strange interpretation of the slogan. I'm wondering just how people might perceive it as an excuse NOT to do or say anything that might be understood as the Gospel.

What astonishes me is how many non-believers unwittingly proclaim the Gospel much better than we do. Too many of us are as mean as deadly vipers with a bad case of the shingles. Just think of all the cruelty and mean-spiritedness which Catholics and Orthodox have justified and perpetrated as being necessary in order to protect the Church or its teachings.

#378592 - 04/11/12 09:01 PM Re: Slogan seen on marquee at Protestant church [Re: sielos ilgesys]
theophan Offline

Loc: Hollidaysburg, PA
Quote:
"Proclaim the Gospel at all times.
Use words only when necessary."

Christ is Risen!!

If I'm not mistaken, the word "only" is an addition. I've seen the quote without that word. Sometimes we are the only Gospel people will ever read--they read our lives and the way we live them out in relation to those around us and in the way we carry out our duties, whether at work or at home. So we've got a big challenge if we want to call ourselves followers of Christ.

Bob

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. Contents copyright - 1996-2014. All rights reserved.