The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JEK #377647 03/16/12 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by JEK
You are welcome Alice, I would not recognize it as there have been many changes since my time (1980's) and all those I know who attended are long gone. I did however also sing for the canonization of the former Tsar at the Synod Cathedral on 92th Street (we ran from 97th to 92nd as we had been asked to participate, art knew no boundaries in those days), that was something interesting to see.

What a good brisk Manhattan walk! wink

How wonderful to have been at the Synod service for the canonization of the Tsar Great Martyr Nicholas!!

After reading a wonderful book called 'An Englishman in the Court of the Tsar: The Spiritual Journey of Charles Syndney Gibbes [amazon.com]' by Christine Benagh, I truly came to love the Holy Royal martyrs in a profound way.

J
JEK Offline
J
Yes Alice, indeed it was a brisk walk, actually more of a cripes, lets run like mad and hurry it up and get in the door and up the stairs as the church was mobbed (and is very small inside to begin with) but, we made it right in time to take the first note (while holding our sides and gasping for air!)... we were invited, just the choir members, no one else, in those days things were a tad uncomfortable between 92nd and 97th but again, art is art), but all in all, it was something to see and another new experience to add to my singing C.V.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by raluca
those icons are not Neo-Byzantine, they are kitsch...

Found myself looking for the 'like' button

Originally Posted by Alice
Dear Nataly, The little Greek Orthodox church of St. Nicholas which was buried in the 9/11 tragedy, after many negotiations with the Port Authority of the City which is in charge of rebuilding the whole area, has finally been given the right to rebuild, and it will be larger and more glorious this time...

... Also, the icons of the church were a gift by Tsar Nicholas II.
Dear Alice. I'm happy to know, that this beautiful place will be rebuild! As I understood from the link you gave, among the items that were salvaged from the ruins were only several things - a book, a bell and a gong from the bell... and no icons at all? Is there any information about these icons? Any photos, reproductions?

Last edited by Nataly; 03/20/12 09:06 AM.
Originally Posted by Nataly
Dear Nataly, The little Greek Orthodox church of St. Nicholas which was buried in the 9/11 tragedy, after many negotiations with the Port Authority of the City which is in charge of rebuilding the whole area, has finally been given the right to rebuild, and it will be larger and more glorious this time...

Dear Alice. I'm happy to know, that this beautiful place will be rebuild! As I understood from the link you gave, among the items that were salvaged from the ruins were only several things - a book, a bell and a gong from the bell... and no icons at all? Is there any information about these icons? Any photos, reproductions?

Dearest sister in Christ, Nataly,

This is all I could find:

Among what was eventually found were the damaged icons of St. Dionysios of Zakynthos and Zoodochos Pege

'Zoodochos Pege' means the Virgin of Life Giving Spring.

I am sure there must be photos somewhere, but I haven't been able to find.

In Christ,
Alice

Originally Posted by Nataly
[quote=Alice]

Among what was eventually found were the damaged icons of St. Dionysios of Zakynthos and Zoodochos Pege

Dear Alice,
these icons are Greek. Interesting to know which icons where the gift of the Tsar? Which images were depicted on them? I guess it was St. Nicholas. He is very beloved in Russia and also he is a patron of the Tzar Nicholas II. I think, the prior of this church can tell us something about these special icons.
God bless you.

Dear Nataly,

Slava Bogu!! I found these photos:

http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/

Maybe the silver iconstasis is from the Tsar Martyr Nicholas II? Maybe some other icons?

Please, you seem to know iconography well, so tell me which ones you think. Ofcourse, there are only three photos, but you can still see the iconography.

With love in Christ,
Alice

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
There are a couple of other photos as well, including one of the items retrieved from the debris - which shows one of the icons which were recovered.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Dear Nataly,

Slava Bogu!! I found these photos:

http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/

Maybe the silver iconstasis is from the Tsar Martyr Nicholas II? Maybe some other icons?

Dear Alice,
thank you for the link. I think you are right - the silver iconostasis (the icons in silver frame) could be the gift of the Tsar.
God bless you!
Nataly

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.