The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#373835 01/05/12 11:51 AM
OP Offline
I didn't post these at the time the event occurred, but for the interest of members I'm offering them as a Christmas gift.

You can see photos of my tonsure as a reader on the ROCOR Australia website which gives a fair idea of the ROCOR way of doing this.

http://www.rocor.org.au/?p=2434

I'd be curious to know if any of the Eastern Catholic readers on this site were tonsured with slightly different ceremonial. Also, how universal is the wearing of the cassock by readers in the UGCC and Ruthenian church these days?

Christ is born, glorify him!

Last edited by Otsheylnik; 01/05/12 11:54 AM.
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Otsheylnik
I'd be curious to know if any of the Eastern Catholic readers on this site were tonsured with slightly different ceremonial. Also, how universal is the wearing of the cassock by readers in the UGCC and Ruthenian church these days?

For the Ruthenians see Tonsure & Order of Lector [patronagechurch.com].

OP Offline
Hmm interesting. It happens before the gospel? Normally before the liturgy in Orthodox practice.

And the translation of the Ruthenians "the first order of diaconate" is just wrong. The prayer says "first order of priesthood" in whatever original language you look at it in. Interesting.

Hmm interesting. It happens before the gospel? Normally before the liturgy in Orthodox practice.

I believe it does happen before the Divine Liturgy.

This particular tonsure took place during a Moleben to the Holy Spirit with the rite of tonsure.

L
L
Originally Posted by Otsheylnik

Christ is born, glorify him!

I'm not a Reader nor UGCC or Ruthenian Church, smile , but we do have a tonsured Reader in our Russian Greek Catholic parish. He's our choir director and he does wear his cassock.

My only experience being present for this service was in the local Greek Orthodox proto Cathedral. The tonsure was done at or after Vespers. (I don't remember precisely. We didn't know it was going to happen to our friend and were taken by joyous surprise!) I've been told it is normally done in connection with Vespers in the Russian Church as well. I hope to be present when we do have one or two of our men tonsured as Readers since the request for that is in the works. smile

I'm sorry you didn't tell us in April 2010 but glad you've shared it now! May your serving as Reader continue to be a blessing to your Church.

Last edited by likethethief; 01/14/12 12:12 AM.
OP Offline
Not vespers (which we only celebrate in conjunction with matins as all-night vigil) but at the Liturgy in the Russian Chruch. Thankyou for your prayers!

Edward

OP Offline
Just reviving this; do the Greeks/ melkites/ antiochians preserve the use of the small chasuble at reader's tonsure, and do their readers wear the prodrasnik/ anteri?

From what I can tell, in Australia, after the tonsure service readers in the greek tradition wear the exorason if chanting, or the stichar if serving, but don't wear a casock underneath it; however, I have no idea whatsoever what they do at the tonsure service.

M
M
Neither the Antiochian Orthodox nor the Melkites use a small phelonion at the ordination of a reader. I don't remember the Greek Orthodox doing it, either.

OP Offline
So would the procedure be get tonsured, vest in exorason (since I believe this is worn whilst chanting the apostol), chant apostol for the first time, then go and sing in the choir or do whatever else it is that the new reader normally does?

The felonchik is a pre-Nikonian tradition as the Old Ritualists still also use it. It is still also common usage in the UGCC.

I was tonsured reader separately from ordination to the subdiaconate and this is how mine went. The felonchik was the Bishop's own from his ordination many years before.

The riassa and stikhar was blessed by the bishop before the Liturgy. I was vested in the riassa immediately after it was blessed before the beginning of the service. The cheirotesia of acolyte, cantor, and tonsuring was done before the Liturgy. After the tonsuring I was vested in the felonchik. I sang the portions selected by the bishop etc.

I was then divested of the felonchik, the stikhar was brought to the bishop who presented it to me, I kissed the cross on the Stikhar, his hand, and then I was vested in the stikhar. He then gave me the exhortation for readers "My son..." etc., and I was given a lampada to hold until the Troparia, Kontakia, Prokimen and Apostle of the Divine Liturgy which I sang myself in the center of the Church vested in the stikhar as the newly tonsured Reader.

When I was ordained subdeacon I began vested in the stikhar since I was already tonsured at that point.

OP Offline
Diak, that's pretty much how mine went also. I have no idea how it would go among the Greeks though, whether I gather the use of the stichar for reading the apostol is also mostly replaced by the exorason.

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.