The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J

Why do you have to pick your jaw up off the floor?! smile Jaws should always remain firmly on the face!! wink

If I remember hearing correctly, in Greece (or some parts of Greece), the Catholic Church has been doing exactly the same thing (celebrating Pascha on the Julain calendar) for the same reason (mixed families) for years!

Interview With President of Greek Orthodox Catholic Bishops' Conference

SYROS, Greece, MAY 7, 2006 - Small signs of unity between Roman Catholics and Orthodox Catholics are coming from Greece. The celebration of Easter on the same date is but one example of this.

Orthodox Catholic Bishop Frangkiskos Papamanolis, president of the episcopal conference of Greece, head of the Diocese of Syros and apostolic vicar of the island of Crete, explained that for 34 years the celebration of Easter has been coordinated with the Orthodox Catholic Churches.

In this interview with Bishop Papamanolis talks about daily relations between Greek Catholics (Roman and Roman Uniates) and Orthodox Catholic believers and explains how, with the enlargement of the European Union, the number of Roman Catholics has increased sevenfold.

Q: Does the Roman Catholic Church in Greece celebrate Easter with Orthodox Catholic brothers throughout the country or is it optional?

Orthodox Catholic Bishop Papamanolis: It is a decision our bishops made in the years 1968-1972. The first to ask for permission from the Roman Holy See (Vatican) in 1968 was the then Roman archbishop of Corfu, Monsignor Antonio Varthalitis.

He was followed by the then Roman archbishop of Athens and apostolic administrator of Thesaloniki, Roman Monsignor Benedetto Printezis, in 1970.

The bishops of the Cyclades, Naxos-Tinos, Syros and Santorini islands, seeing the good climate that this initiative had created, also asked the Roman Holy See for permission to celebrate Easter together with their Orthodox Catholic brothers and thus, since 1972, we celebrate Easter on the same date as our Orthodox Catholic brothers.

On the island of Crete, however, where there is an infinitesimal number of Roman Catholics -- some 60 faithful in Canea, four in Rettimnon, and some 20 in Iraklion -- the roman bishop of Syros, who was also apostolic administrator of the Diocese of Crete, left parish priests free to choose one or the other date.

They opted for celebrating Easter on the same date as Rome because, being two parishes with much tourism, there were many tourists who attended the Holy Week services.

full article [apostle1.com]

Another article, I have no problem with it...

For pastoral reasons
The Catholic Church in the Holy Land plans in future to celebrate Easter according to the Orthodox calendar. The reason is consideration of the many inter-church families, said the Franciscan Custos Pierbattista Pizzaballa. In ecumenical dialogue, the date of Easter is one of the major hurdles.

The alternative date for Easter in Catholic communities could probably be introduced next year, said Pizzaballa, who is one of the higher leaders of the Catholic church in the Holy Land. Then the Orthodox celebrate Easter on 5 May; the Churches of Western tradition celebrate the feast in 2013 in contrast five weeks earlier on 31st March (Cathcon- last year, they were the same, this year the Orthodox are a week later. The Orthodox are either 0, 1 or 5 weeks ahead (or should that be behind??) depending on the year). The Eastern churches determine the date of Easter according to the old Julian calendar, using a different calculation method.

The Franciscan Custos explained that the deviation from the true Catholic date was considered for pastoral reasons. "Most Christian families in the Holy Land are of mixed denominations," said Pizzaballa. Excluded from the proposed scheme, however, were the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem and the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. There the "status quo" of 1852 applies, which minutely specifies the use of sacred sites for the various denominations , and this cannot be changed.

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2012/04/catholic-parishes-in-holy-land-to.html

E
E
Our Patriarch, Gregorios III Laham, has been calling for this for years. The Melkite Holy Synod has already agreed in principal but...twixt the cup and the lip, there's many a slip!

M
M
Many Melkite churches, Ramallah is one example, already celebrate Easter according to the old calendar method. This has been going on for years; not quite sure what you mean by "The Melkite Holy Synod has already agreed in principal"?

Well now we just have to make it universal. Hopefully the whole Christian world can begin singing off the same page.
(If not now, when? If not us, who?)

Originally Posted by Jakub.
The Franciscan Custos explained that the deviation from the true Catholic date was considered for pastoral reasons.

I notice that Stephen Korsman, in the comments below the blog entry, objected to the phrase "true Catholic date". I can't say I blame him!

E
E
The Melkite Patriarch really supported this move and the Synod agreed but some of the bishops (especially, I assume, in Lebanon, with its plethora of Maronite Churches) asked for a vacatio legis. This new initiative in the Holy Land is most welcome despite the odious reference to the true Catholic date for Easter! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

Originally Posted by Matta
Many Melkite churches, Ramallah is one example, already celebrate Easter according to the old calendar method. This has been going on for years; not quite sure what you mean by "The Melkite Holy Synod has already agreed in principal"?

The Melkite priest at my old parish (before I moved) explained it as using whichever date the majority in the region used. Thus, if the majority in a particular place is EO [resp. OO, LC, Protestant etc], the Melkites in that place use the EO [resp. OO, LC, Protestant etc] date for Easter.

Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Well now we just have to make it universal. Hopefully the whole Christian world can begin singing off the same page.

Good to see you back, Father Stephen! smile

I wish you a most blessed and sacred Holy Friday and a glorious and joyous day of the Resurrection!

In Christ,
Alice

S
S
Makes sense to me. Why not?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Stephanos I

Bless, Father Stephen,

To echo Alice, welcome back - we've been a bit concerned hereabouts at your long absence.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Thanks the last 3 years have been rough but I have pulled through. What a wonderful vigil we celebrated and 3 baptized 3 adults.

Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Makes sense to me. Why not?

Because the Julian calendar is wrong and the Orthodox need to switch.

S
S
If they switch to the Gregorian Calendar, will Rome repeal ALL of Pastor Aeternus? I mean, if we're gonna go quid pro quo, let's go whole hog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.