The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
"Proclaim the Gospel at all times.
Use words only when necessary."

That is truly one of the best sayings ever...it is so funny because the RC claim it is from St. Francis Assisi, the Orthodox from St. John Chrysostom, and well, we can only guess who the Protestants might attribute it to! smile

The point is not who said it of course, but that it is a powerful, powerful message!

Too many people use it as an excuse not to do or say anything that might be understood to be the Gospel. "If you are ashamed of me on earth," Jesus said, "I will be ashamed of you before my Father."

Originally Posted by Alice
That is truly one of the best sayings ever...it is so funny because the RC claim it is from St. Francis Assisi, the Orthodox from St. John Chrysostom, and well, we can only guess who the Protestants might attribute it to! smile

The point is not who said it of course, but that it is a powerful, powerful message!

The person who posted it probably knows that it could be attributed to either (or both) but would never want to admit it lest they be perceived as "too Catholic" or "too Orthodox".

Sad when your concept of church history doesn't extend beyond the 16th or 17th century....

S
OP Offline
S
Seems a strange interpretation of the slogan. I'm wondering just how people might perceive it as an excuse NOT to do or say anything that might be understood as the Gospel.

What astonishes me is how many non-believers unwittingly proclaim the Gospel much better than we do. Too many of us are as mean as deadly vipers with a bad case of the shingles. Just think of all the cruelty and mean-spiritedness which Catholics and Orthodox have justified and perpetrated as being necessary in order to protect the Church or its teachings.

"Proclaim the Gospel at all times.
Use words only when necessary."

Christ is Risen!!

If I'm not mistaken, the word "only" is an addition. I've seen the quote without that word. Sometimes we are the only Gospel people will ever read--they read our lives and the way we live them out in relation to those around us and in the way we carry out our duties, whether at work or at home. So we've got a big challenge if we want to call ourselves followers of Christ.

Bob

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.