The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 468 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
A
Originally Posted by Slavophile
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
Originally Posted by haydukovich
Another problem I have is that some Celibate priests (and yes I am going to get in trouble - this post will follow me for life) are GAY MEN trying to cope with their GAYNESS -

I don't care if they are GAY - I'm glad they are choosing the priesthood in answer to their homosexuality.

BUT MARRIED PRIESTS are sexual too - Gay priests are sexual whether they express it or NOT
SEXUALITY SHOULD NOT BE AN IMPEDIMENT TO PRIESTHOOD - ESPECIOALLY IN AN EASTERN CATHOLIC CHURCH.
I agree with the first part of your post (i.e., that many celibate priests are "gay"), but I do not agree with the second part. As I see it, if it is known that a man suffers from this disordered sexual condition he should not be ordained.

How can you say that, Apotheoun? What do you mean by 'suffer with this...condition'?

We all suffer from 'disordered sexual conditions'. Unless our inclinations are always entirely in sync with revelation then, according to your paradigm, no one should be ordained.

What is important is that a priest seek to conform himself to the mind of Christ in all things, and when he fails, to repent and keep trying to conform.
We all suffer from many sinful inclinations, but some are graver than others because they are not only sinful if acted upon, but are unnatural per se.

A
A
Originally Posted by Slavophile
Originally Posted by haydukovich
Another problem I have is that some Celibate priests (and yes I am going to get in trouble - this post will follow me for life) are GAY MEN trying to cope with their GAYNESS -

I don't care if they are GAY - I'm glad they are choosing the priesthood in answer to their homosexuality.

BUT MARRIED PRIESTS are sexual too - Gay priests are sexual whether they express it or NOT
SEXUALITY SHOULD NOT BE AN IMPEDIMENT TO PRIESTHOOD - ESPECIOALLY IN AN EASTERN CATHOLIC CHURCH.
I agree with the first part of your post (i.e., that many celibate priests are "gay"), but I do not agree with the second part. As I see it, if it is known that a man suffers from this disordered sexual condition he should not be ordained.

How can you say that, Apotheoun? What do you mean by 'suffer with this...condition'?

We all suffer from 'disordered sexual conditions'. Unless our inclinations are always entirely in sync with revelation then, according to your paradigm, no one should be ordained.

What is important is that a priest seek to conform himself to the mind of Christ in all things, and when he fails, to repent and keep trying to conform.
The Vatican itself has said in the past (rather recently mind you) that men who suffer from homosexual inclinations as a more or less stable pathological condition are unfit for ordination in the Roman Church. So I am not saying anything that is all that shocking.

C
C
Originally Posted by countertenor
So how do we start a movement, demanding that the colonial office be closed?
biggrin

I do not think that that kind of movement would get very far in Rome. After all, Rome loves useless bureaucracy and it is not about to reduce the size of its structural apparatus just to please a small faction (i.e., Eastern Catholics) in the Catholic communion.

That said, the Eastern Catholic response to the Vatican on most issues should be silence as we simply ignore the curia (and even the Pope) and do our best to maintain our traditions.

I am sure that the Orthodox are watching to see what Rome does, so that they can determine whether or not there is any real reason to continue the process of ecumenical dialogue with the Vatican.

I know Orthodox that would join in such with such demands. And Rome does seem to listen to the Orthodox more than the ECs.

Demand? Since when do we DEMAND? as a Christian. If you want to demand, then demand that the Federal government stop discriminating against the Catholic Church. See how far you get with that!

B
B
As always, it is the word "mandatory" that creates the problems.

i want to apologize to all in the forum for bringing up sexuality- especially accusing celibate priests of being gay or implying it.

I was trying to come to terms with why Rome has problems with married sexual men and my own personal frustrations with the issue of ordination of married men.

I was wrong to blast that out there. I am insensitive and rude.
I was wrong
I apologize.

Please find it in your hearts to forgive me and please pray for me that I learn to be more reserved in my responses.

John

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
John, my friend and brother,

God forgives, who are we not to forgive. As you asked for yourself, we too ask your prayers for that the Lord give us the wisdom and patience to find the proper and most effective way to deal with the issues that face us, our clergy, and our Churches.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Originally Posted by Paul B
EMBRACE celibacy?? NOOOOO. Tolerate it? We have been.

For those passionate about marriage before ordination I suggest that we all increase tremendously our donations to the seminaries. How can someone with $30-70,000 debt afford to support a family on $25,000? income?

We need some rich benefactors to pay off the education costs debts upon ordination. I would guess that this would make it easier for seminary rectors and bishops to justify married seminarians.
Do you have more problems/expenses than Orthodox priests or Protestant pastors?

I haven't studied the matter thoroughly, but your student-loan argument (or would it be called "seminary-loan argument"?) makes sense. Certainly, any bishop should think carefully before ordaining a married seminarian with $50,000 debt -- just like he should think carefully before ordaining a celibate seminarian with $100,000 debt.

S
S
Money is a stupid argument. Especially in light of the many mature married men, including quite a number of married deacons, who would make excellent presbyters. These men have established careers and grown children; they also know most of what they need to know already.

As to seminaries costing so much, insofar as the entire seminary system is a relatively recent (and western) innovation in both the Greek Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, and insofar as the Church in its heyday knew no such institution, maybe its time to ditch them altogether.

If that's too radical, perhaps we should reexamine my suggestion from a decade ago, that the Greek Catholics simply send all their diaconal and presbyteral candidates to Orthodox seminaries. That would remove an unnecessary cost from our eparchial budgets, freeing up funds to support married seminarians. Tuition at Orthodox seminaries, meanwhile, would likely decrease because their operating budget would be amortized over a larger student body.

Meanwhile, cease using money as an excuse.

OP Offline
I agree with Stuart. One compromise might be to unite all Eastern Catholic Seminaries. Money should never be an excuse. I don't really think the Eastern Catholics wish to grow. I've experienced so many blocks to growth that I'm thoroughly disappointed. Perhaps we deserve to die.

I think Stuart is right on many accounts here. I would think sending our married postulants for the priesthood to the St Stephens course in Orthodox Theology (almost all online). Then the postulant could learn the liturgy and the other mysteries from an experienced priest (perhaps do what the Copts do and send the newly ordained priest to a monastery for 40 days to learn how to serve the mysteries?)

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
The idea of studying at Orthodox seminaries is not new. For several years, both when all of our priestly formation was under the aegis of the Basilian Salvatorian seminary in Methuen MA and, later, when St Gregory Eparchial Seminary in Newton MA was functioning, Melkite seminarians did a portion of their education at Holy Cross GOA Seminary.

Likewise, combined seminaries are not a new phenomenon. Melkite seminarians currently attend Ss Cyril & Methodius (Byzantine Ruthenian) Seminary and at least one of the faculty there is a Melkite priest, Father George (Gallaro).

There was a time when Romanian and Maronite seminarians attended the Melkite Seminary (in fact, Bishop John Michael of the Romanians and Bishop Robert Shaheen of the Maronites both did major portions of their seminary training with the Melkites.) And, in that same era, some of the faculty were non-Melkites, including Father Archimandrite Januarius (Izzo) of the Italo-Greek-Albanians.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by StuartK
Money is a stupid argument. Especially in light of the many mature married men, including quite a number of married deacons, who would make excellent presbyters. These men have established careers and grown children; they also know most of what they need to know already.

How does that argue against "any bishop should think carefully before ordaining a married seminarian with $50,000 debt -- just like he should think carefully before ordaining a celibate seminarian with $100,000 debt"?

Originally Posted by Yuhannon
Originally Posted by Curious Joe
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
They shouldn't be asking. They should be telling Rome they will ordain who they see fit, period.

Indeed! Big litmus test for the new Metropolitan ...

Shlomo Lkhoolkhoon,

I also wish the new Maronite Eparch will withdraw the prohibition on ordaining married men to the clergy. I know a number of good young men that wish to be Maronite priests as well as married.

Fush BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

Hi Yuhannon. There's something I've been puzzled by, that perhaps you (or someone else on this thread) could help me with:

Celibacy is not strictly required for Maronite deacons and priests outside of North America with parishes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maronite_Church

D
DMD Offline
D
I was thinking about this last week and didn't mention it, but I am reading these comments about debt to mean that celibate newly ordained priests coming out of SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary have $50,000 in debt due to the Church following graduation? That is astonishing as I do not believe that to be the norm in the American Orthodox world for Orthodox students who become priests.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.