The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 246 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
With all the recent talk about how EC priests in the US are "supposed to be celibate", a question occurred to me:
Latin bishops in the US appear have some say in the affairs of ECs in the US; do they have as much say in the own affairs?

C
C
Maybe because the Pope doesn't let them make too many decisions of their own, they just decided to exercise their ordinary authority on someone else.

S
S
There is also still a feeling that this is their turf, and we are interlopers.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG
Maybe because the Pope doesn't let them make too many decisions of their own, they just decided to exercise their ordinary authority on someone else.

I can't really speak to that specifically (I don't know if anyone else here can) but I definitely have to wonder why they have such authority in the first place, if they don't have any say in whether or not their own priests must be celibate.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Peter,

Your premise fails on several counts.

It is not that Latin bishops in the US have any say in the affairs of the Eastern Churches (let alone "authority" as your post immediately above suggests). In fact, they don't, except in the instances where they have superintendency of parishes belonging to Churches without hierarchs in the US.

What they may have is influence.

But, you're pursuing an issue for which there is no basis whatsoever. Cardinal Sandri's comment stands, at this moment, on his shoulders and his alone. No one, neither any of our hierarchs, nor the Cardinal himself, has suggested that the US Latin bishops played any part in motivating his exhortation to our hierarchs - so, let's not try to raise hackles over an issue that we have no - not any - basis to suggest.

Unless and until someone with actual knowledge to support the idea offers information to the effect that the US Latin bishops or some subset of them fostered the Cardinal's concern, we will not be sponsoring or hosting conspiracy theories to that effect here. We have enough real issues with which to contend without creating shadow opponents and waging battle against them.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
Several times the Eastern Catholic bishops in the U.S. have asked their Latin brethren in the USCCB to issue a statement similar to that of the Australian Bishops' Council, indicating that they had no objections to the ordination of married men in the United States. So far, no statement. Draw your own conclusions.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by StuartK
Several times the Eastern Catholic bishops in the U.S. have asked their Latin brethren in the USCCB to issue a statement similar to that of the Australian Bishops' Council, indicating that they had no objections to the ordination of married men in the United States. So far, no statement. Draw your own conclusions.

I conclude that there are a lot more bishops in the USCCB than there are in its Australian counterpart. I've no doubt some would oppose it - maybe a lot, who knows? That said, it's a stretch to have the USCCB or the US Latin bishops be the driving force behind Cdl Sandri's remarks.

On that basis, and until someone presents evidence to the contrary, as I've already indicated, we will not be hosting conspiracy theories on the matter.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Peter,

Your premise fails on several counts.

It is not that Latin bishops in the US have any say in the affairs of the Eastern Churches (let alone "authority" as your post immediately above suggests). In fact, they don't, except in the instances where they have superintendency of parishes belonging to Churches without hierarchs in the US.

What they may have is influence.

But, you're pursuing an issue for which there is no basis whatsoever. Cardinal Sandri's comment stands, at this moment, on his shoulders and his alone. No one, neither any of our hierarchs, nor the Cardinal himself, has suggested that the US Latin bishops played any part in motivating his exhortation to our hierarchs - so, let's not try to raise hackles over an issue that we have no - not any - basis to suggest.

Unless and until someone with actual knowledge to support the idea offers information to the effect that the US Latin bishops or some subset of them fostered the Cardinal's concern, we will not be sponsoring or hosting conspiracy theories to that effect here. We have enough real issues with which to contend without creating shadow opponents and waging battle against them.

Many years,

Neil

Dear friend and brother,

Thanks for yet another helping of your love and kindness.

Have a blessed Memorial Day!

S
S
Stuart, I do agree with your opinion on this issue but I also have the suspicion the Latin bishops are so preoccupied with their own problems that they are probably relieved that we're not part of the trouble on their collective plate.

I think it's probably fair to conclude that the issue of priestly celibacy-or-not with respect to the Eastern Rite clergy is not on the mind of a single US Roman Catholic bishop, much less is it brewing as a concern of the USCCB. I would be surprised to discover that it is even on simmer on anybody's back burner.

Also, I think I could confidently bet the ranch that the notion posited by Stuart K--that the Latin Rite bishops in America regard Eastern hierarchs as interlopers--is entirely wide of the mark.

I wonder why the Eastern Rite bishops would ask the Latin Rite bishops to turn their attention to a matter that isn't really any of their business and invite them to make a statement about it one way or the other. It would seem to me that it would be preferable to the Eastern Rites that the hierarchs of the Latin Rite not presume to opine on their internal disciplines.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I'm unaware of any request by the EC hierarchs for the USCCB to take a stance akin to that taken by the Australian Conference, but I'll inquire about it. My personal opinion is not unlike that shared by sielos and RI above.

Meanwhile, the comments that I offered earlier stand. We are all well aware that the Italian Conference took issue with the UGCC's assignment of married clergy to its parishes and missions in Italy - and it seems to me that there may have been another such instance in Europe, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. Other than that, I'm unaware of any such responses in modern times.

Many years,

Neil

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.