The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
OP Offline
S
I have been credibly informed that at tomorrow's ceremony, the Holy Father will present the omophorion of the Eastern Church to Metr. William instead of the Latin Church pallium.

Wouldn't that be interesting ...

E
E
What's this in aid of? The Metropolitan (Axios!) received one on the day of his episcopal consecration. May I suggest as an alternative that the pope say to me, "You have YOUR lung, now breathe FREELY with it!"

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
While I feel strongly about the ongoing need for our Churches o be recognized by Rome as equal and not subservient, might I suggest an alternative to kvetching at news such as this. Instead, we might jot down, remember, and celebrate each act which manages to demonstrate a bit more enlightenment on Rome's part. Enough such acts and we'll get to where we ought to be.

Slowly, surely, baby steps, but God has not given us to expect that things will always be easy.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
While I feel strongly about the ongoing need for our Churches o be recognized by Rome as equal and not subservient, might I suggest an alternative to kvetching at news such as this. Instead, we might jot down, remember, and celebrate each act which manages to demonstrate a bit more enlightenment on Rome's part. Enough such acts and we'll get to where we ought to be.

Neil and friends, FWIW I could not agree more. I would see this as one of those cherished "baby steps", and do hope it inches us forward in our Communion.

Dear friends:

Considering that the Pallium is actually a relic of the Apostle Peter it should be regarded with some reverence.

It is of course also a visible sign of the communion of faith between the Pope of Rome and Archbishops and Metropolitans.

In the beginning all that was required was that the Archbishop or Metropolitan formally request the Pallium from Rome and it was sent to them upon their installations.

It was rarely imposed personally by the Pope in Rome.

It was unfortunate that recent Popes decided to transform it into some kind of object of submission.

I understand that Pope Benedict has been trying to change that.

I regard the fact that the Pope has now determined to give Eastern Hierarchs a Pallium more in keeping with their liturgical dress to be a great advancement.

I hope everyone sees it as such.

Let’s hope the submission aspects are eventually done away with.

Sincerely
José

I suggest that everyone hold their opinions until you see it. It will be broadcast on EWTN at 3:00 AM and again at 5:30 pm on Friday, June 29, Feast of Saints Peter and Paul. The times stated are Eastern.

P
Pop Offline
P
Have previous Metropolitans received the omophorian from the pope?

THEY DID! THEY DID!

Originally Posted by Pani Rose
THEY DID! THEY DID!

They did, indeed! (although I relied on my DVR to catch it - hope you got some rest afterward, Pani Rose!)

sielos ilgesys #382302 06/29/12 12:48 PM
A
A

ag_vn #382306 06/29/12 02:46 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Looks a lot swankier than a pallium, however much respect and reverence they deserve...I wonder what metropolitan-archbishops do if they lose or misplace their pallium...

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 06/29/12 02:48 PM.
Thanks for posting these still photos. I thought the second one was particularly striking.

S
S
I hope it came with a receipt so he can return it.

A
A
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
What's this in aid of? The Metropolitan (Axios!) received one on the day of his episcopal consecration.

You are right.
However a ceremony of imposition of a new omophorion was necessary because, according to the Ukrainan uses, the bars in the bottom of such vestment had passed from three to four bars, to shown the new role of metropolitan

(At least so I suppose, the images are not clear on this particular)

Last edited by antv; 06/29/12 07:28 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.