The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!

My wife and I are expecting our first child. We just found out a few weeks ago. She is, according to the doctor, just about seven weeks pregnant! (those of you who are friends on facebook please don't mention it there not ready for that yet)

So we need prayers and any advice for this first time dad would be helpful!

Nelson

Dear Nelson,

That is wonderful and blessed news my friend. Please keep it low key until your wife is out of the first trimester, and make sure that she is eating extremely well and that her diet is nutritionally balanced, etc...and that she takes care of herself.

The doctor will most likely give her a very good prenatal vitamin which is so important in these first months.

May God bless both of you and may our blessed Lady keep her in her protection!

In Christ,
Alice

B
B
Congratulations! You don't know what you're doing, asking for advice. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of it, solicited and unsolicited, for the rest of your days. Little old Russian ladies like to tell me my babies are freezing because I dress them by the weather, not by the calendar. Take good care of your wife. Coddle her if she needs it, but don't smother. Help her find a doctor (or consider a midwife) who respects her basic pregnancy and birth philosophy. Watch "The Business of Being Born". (ok, ok... I'll leave the rest of my very strong opinions on childbirth in the U.S. out for now.) Enjoy every moment of this pregnancy. No matter how many babies you have, it is always wonderful, but you will never quite have the time to savor every moment as you do this time.

Last edited by babochka; 07/25/12 12:42 AM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Nelson, prayers for the both of you and your unborn child, that this be a wonderful and wonder-filled experience for you and that God grant all of you many years in health and love.

My advice - get extra sleep now (pretend it's bankable for later - who knows, maybe in the interim someone will invent a means to do so biggrin ). And, start banking for college now (pretend that you'll be able to bank enough to make a difference - who knows, maybe in the interim someone will invent a means to make that be the case biggrin too ).

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
my Prayers!

Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
Glory to Jesus Christ!

My wife and I are expecting our first child. We just found out a few weeks ago. She is, according to the doctor, just about seven weeks pregnant! (those of you who are friends on facebook please don't mention it there not ready for that yet)

So we need prayers and any advice for this first time dad would be helpful!

Nelson

Prayers and congratulations..the first time around is usually the most difficult as you get used to changes and as you anticipate the coming of the little one. May God grant your wife and child good health and may you both be able to be very sensitive to each other during this special time in your lives. God bless you and keep you..in the Name of Jesus.

On the feast of the Transfiguration, may God bless the "first fruits" of your seed and your wife's womb!

OP Offline
Thanks for all the prayers! We just hit the three month point last Thursday. My poor wife is still very ill with "morning sickness," which is usually at night.

Any good Orthodox/Eastern Catholic books on parenting that anyone can suggest?

S
S
Guide to the Domestic Church has been republished by the Melkite Eparchy of Newton. Excellent book.

OP Offline
Just an update on my wife and unborn son. Yes, we are having a boy. He is due on March 7, which is about fifty days away. We are going to name him Noah Gregory. His baptism and chrismation is tentatively scheduled for April 6 at Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Church in San Diego.

Please remember my wife Janette, baby Noah, and I in your prayers.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 01/15/13 11:56 PM.
Prayer for one�s children and/or godchildren

Be mindful, O Lord, of my my son, Noah, for whom I humbly pray and commend to Thy gracious care and protection. Be, Thou, O Lord, his Guide and Guardian in all his endeavors. Lead him into the path of Thy Truth. Draw him ever nearer to Thee. Grant that he may lead a godly and righteous life, blameless and peaceful, ever serving Thee. Grant that his soul, being helped by Thy Grace and sanctified by Thy Holy Mysteries, may be prepared for his passage to eternal life by a life that is now temperate, industrious, diligent, devout, and charitable. Have mercy on him and save him that he may finally attain unto the Unity of the Faith and even unto Thee, Who art Our God. For unto Thee are due all glory, honor, and worship, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. AMEN.

Amen!

OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are less than two weeks away from the birth of our son, Noah Gregory Chase. I will keep everyone posted and please pray for me, my wife, and my unborn son.

Hope everyone is having a fruitful Great Fast (or preparation for Lent)

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 02/25/13 05:55 PM.
J
jjp Offline
J
Wow, missed this, congrats!

After 4 months with our first, I'll just echo what I'm sure you've heard already... enjoy your sleep and quiet evenings now as much as possible.

Prayers for a safe delivery for mom and son.

A Greek blessing/saying to a pregnant woman, referring to the impending birth:

'May the hour be good/blessed'! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.